The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Over & Back?

Ball is being inbounded. Offensive player jumps from front court, catches ball, and lands completely in back court. Over & Back?
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddy View Post
Ball is being inbounded. Offensive player jumps from front court, catches ball, and lands completely in back court. Over & Back?
No. This is one of the "exceptions" to the BC rule.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

No team control on an inbound.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Third time this type of situation was brought up this week haha. No, this is not a violation. No team control during throw-ins, jump balls. There is also no backcourt if the opposing team has team control.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
Team control is not the reason this isn't a violation.

In this scenario, there is team control with frontcourt status when the ball is caught. But by exception it is allowed.

Also, to the OP, it doesn't matter if the player lands totally in the backcourt, or even if he comes down with a foot in the frontcourt then a foot in the backcourt. He is allowed to land normally.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, but not relevant.

There is team control, and the ball is in the frontcourt as soon as the offensive player catches the ball. When the player lands in the backcourt, all the conditions for a BC violation have been met. Without the specific wording allowing this play (and the defensive player, and the jump ball), this would be a violation.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, special provision for BC allows this on a throwin.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 06:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Saw The Mythbusters Signal In The Sky ...

During a throwin, or jump ball, any player; or a defensive player, in making a steal; may legally jump from his or her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor, and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or the backcourt. These three situations are not backcourt violations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
These three situations are not backcourt violations.
Three? I only count two in your post, am I missing something?
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Three? I only count two in your post, am I missing something?
1. Throw in
2. Jump ball
3. Defensive player making a steal.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
During a throwin, or jump ball, any player; or a defensive player, in making a steal; may legally jump from his or her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor, and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or the backcourt. These three situations are not backcourt violations.
Yet another example of why it would be so much simpler for the common man (spectators), uncommon man (coaches) to understand and simpler for the even more uncommon man (referees) to enforce if the NFHS instituted the rule that ALL THREE ELEMENTS (BOTH FEET and the BALL) MUST be in the front court BEFORE a back court violation can occur.

No need for the "exceptions" -- nor any need for the end of the exceptions, etc.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Yet another example of why it would be so much simpler for the common man (spectators), uncommon man (coaches) to understand and simpler for the even more uncommon man (referees) to enforce if the NFHS instituted the rule that ALL THREE ELEMENTS (BOTH FEET and the BALL) MUST be in the front court BEFORE a back court violation can occur.

No need for the "exceptions" -- nor any need for the end of the exceptions, etc.
Your proposed "rule" wouldn't preclude the OP from being a backcourt violation. A1 has both feet in the frontcourt (albeit in the air, but he jumped from the frontcourt), caught the throw-in, making it in the frontcourt (particularly supposing that the throw-in was from a frontcourt sideline, or even endline). Team A now has team control, and the ball is in the frontcourt, both feet and the ball are in the frontcourt. Then A1 crosses the division line in midair and lands in the back court. This makes Team A the first team to touch the ball in the backcourt. If it is desired to not make this a backcourt violation, then there still needs to be a throw-in exception.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
Your proposed "rule" wouldn't preclude the OP from being a backcourt violation. A1 has both feet in the frontcourt (albeit in the air, but he jumped from the frontcourt), caught the throw-in, making it in the frontcourt (particularly supposing that the throw-in was from a frontcourt sideline, or even endline). Team A now has team control, and the ball is in the frontcourt, both feet and the ball are in the frontcourt. Then A1 crosses the division line in midair and lands in the back court. This makes Team A the first team to touch the ball in the backcourt. If it is desired to not make this a backcourt violation, then there still needs to be a throw-in exception.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. My proposed rule says that the player must have ALL THREE POINTS in the front court BEFORE a backcourt violation can occur. The feet must be ON THE GROUND in the front court.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong. My proposed rule says that the player must have ALL THREE POINTS in the front court BEFORE a backcourt violation can occur. The feet must be ON THE GROUND in the front court.
Thanks for clarifying. I suppose that makes sense.

So are you of the opinion that the following plays should not be violations?:

1-While Team A is advancing the ball from their backcourt, A1, in the backcourt, passes to A2, who jumps from the frontcourt, catches the ball and lands in the backcourt.

2-While Team A is advancing the ball from their backcourt, A1, in the backcourt, passes to A2 who is standing with 1 foot in the frontcourt and the other foot off the floor. A2 places his foot on the floor in the backcourt.

I'm just curious as to your thoughts and what you think is fair.

Also, it seems that a team is restricted by one of these two things while they are in team control: a) not being able to go back into the backcourt; or b) having a 10 second backcourt count. My opinion is that when you make a change to the backcourt rule (exceptions excluded because they don't involve team control), then you probably must make a corresponding change to the 10 second rule to enable the count to be continued. I think this might make for some very confusing verbiage, but I might be wrong.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
then you probably must make a corresponding change to the 10 second rule to enable the count to be continued. I think this might make for some very confusing verbiage, but I might be wrong.
It's just the definition of "ball location" that needs to be changed. The officials would just need to learn to "count" longer.

One problem with the proposed change, though, is that if A1 passes (from the BC) to A2 (in the FC), and A2 just holds the ball, the count would (or should) continue. Then if A2 passes back to A1 (still in the BC), that's a legal play.

I think the current definitions are fine. I'd just like to see the exceptions applied to everyone who first gains TC (treating the excpetions as "examples" and not as "inclusive list").