The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Situation: A1 has possession in the front court. B2 hits the ball out of A1's hands. The ball goes off of A1's leg and then into the backcourt. A1 is the frirst
to touch the ball in the backcourt. Over-and-back? If so can you please reference the rule? I believe it is but can't find the rule. Thanks.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS 9-9-1 - "A player of the team in control shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Jake80. That's what I was looking for.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

On a loose ball is A1's team still in control? Does that make a difference in this scenario? The way I interpret the rule we would have a violation in this particular case.

How does everyone else interpret this?

Dave
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MN BB Ref
On a loose ball is A1's team still in control? Does that make a difference in this scenario? The way I interpret the rule we would have a violation in this particular case.

How does everyone else interpret this?

Dave
*** 4-12-2 & 3
A team is in control of the ball when a player of the team is in control, while a live ball is being passed among teammates and during an interrupted dribble.

Team control continues until:
a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b. An opponent secures control.
c. The ball becomes dead.

*** 9-9-1
A player of the team in control shall not:
...Be the first to touch a ball after it has been in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

Because Team A had team control, was the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt and the first to touch it in the backcourt without Team B securing possession of the ball, it is over-and-back.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Team control lasts until the other team gains control, or until a shot goes up, or until dead ball. I think.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
You must have been at my game last nite. I had this exact same thing happen in the first 2 minutes of the game. The coach about blew a gasket. THEN a few minutes later, B1 knocks the ball out of A1's hands but does not hit A1 before going back court. A1 picks it up and there is no call. At that point he blew the gasket and wanted to know why THAT wasn't over and back. I told him it was a different play and he said no. Coaching is a lot less stressful if you know the rules IMHO
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Actually, I had just attempted to clarify this rule for a coach that had it happen to him last night. I'm still not sure if he believes it or not.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hey Dave,

I'm guessing that the Lama doesn't carry a lot of money. But on your deathbed, you'll probably receive perfect consciousness. So you got that going for you, which is nice. . .

Chuck
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Hey Dave,

I'm guessing that the Lama doesn't carry a lot of money. But on your deathbed, you'll probably receive perfect consciousness. So you got that going for you, which is nice. . .

Chuck
Chuck,

If only I could get that perfect consciousness working for me on the BB court...that would be REALLY nice!!

Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 04:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:

If only I could get that perfect consciousness working for me on the BB court...that would be REALLY nice!!
I'd settle for any form of consciousness.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

When I explain this rule to people (coaches) with limited rules knowledge, I use the sideline analogy. They seem to understand this easier. I would say, if team A was in control of the ball and team B batted the ball off of A1's leg and went OOB it would be B's ball, correct. Instant light bulb. This they can understand.