The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Sports Officiating Class Help!

I am a college student taking a sports officiating class and I need some help regarding an assignment. I have not received my book (Modern Sports Officiating) in the mail yet and I need help answering a couple of questions from the first 2 chapters.

1) List the 5 roles of an official -- I have an idea of what to put, but it probably won't be what the book has

2) 12 qualities of a competent official

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone on here has this book or has read it, I would benefit greatly from any information.

Thanks in advance.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 03:52pm
Archaic Power Monger

I would check your school's library, which should have textbooks on reserve for the students to use. Failing that, does a classmate of yours have the book you can borrow to do the assignment?

Either one of those would be better than one of us giving you our own answers which may or may not be what the book has.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 03:56pm
This IS My Social Life

A Good Resource

Welcome to our forum! As you continue your class, and especially if you go on to actually officiate, you will find this discussion board a very rich resource for enrichment and enjoyment.
Whereas most of the responses to inquiries you find here are based solely on National Federation of High Schools publications, perhaps one of the contributors has the text to which you are referring on his shelf. If so, you can be sure you'll hear from him/her shortly.
Keep hanging around!
And again, welcome!
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 04:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dford View Post
List the 5 roles of an official
1 - control the coaches
2 - warn the coaches
3 - tee up the coaches
4 - eject the coaches
5 - crescent roll
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 04:28pm
This IS My Social Life

Partial Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
1 - control the coaches
2 - warn the coaches
3 - tee up the coaches
4 - eject the coaches
5 - crescent roll
There, see? One of our foremost authorities has already given you the answer to your first inquiry.
As to your second question, he likely has no clue, and neither do I. Most of us here have been striving to acquire a mere one or two qualities, so to expect 12 out of any of us might be asking too much.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 04:35pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Lightbulb Wow!

Credits at college for learning how to officiate? How cool is that?? Then, you go out on the web and search for help......I like it!

Most "useful and practical" course I took in college (many yrs ago) was "Sociology - Courtship and Marriage".....and I've been trying to get the application of that one right for the last almost 25 yrs now! And, no help on that one....I learned it the hard way - trial and error!

I sometimes succeed, but usually, not so much!

Good luck and welcome to the forum - you're off to a great start!!
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 05:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We're supposed to have 12 qualities? Crap!
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Oh, I have at least 12 qualities. Problem is, few of them become a competent official!
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 07:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hope This Helps ...

REACTION TIME
Reacts quickly enough to make a decision at the moment of its occurrence.
Makes quick and positive decisions, especially with respect to the “close ones”.
Takes the time to prevent an error from being made.

INTESTINAL FORTITUDE
Remains consistent when calling violations or fouls - without regard to the score, whom it may hurt, or how it may effect future relations with the coach.

CONFIDENCE
Exhibits a confident manner i.e. attention to detail, alertness, firmness, and timeliness of his/her reaction to a situation.
Has a resonant, strong voice that is supported by proper mechanics for purpose of clarification.

POISE
Has a quiet influence on the game that relieves tensions and creates a steady effect upon contestants (both players and coaches alike).
Has control of his/her emotions.
Is courteous and polite.

CONSISTENCY
Is consistent in all calls regardless of situation or point of time in the game. For example consistency in the determination of a block vs. a charge.

JUDGMENT
Uses fair and unbiased judgment and common sense in applying the rules of the game.

COOPERATION
Has the ability to work effectively as a “team” with his/her fellow official
Is not overly sensitive to constructive criticism.
Has a sense of loyalty to fellow officials, a willingness to share the responsibility and avoids attempts to shift the blame.

KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROPER APPLICATION OF THE RULES
Presents a thorough knowledge of the rules of basketball
Appears to make his/her decision with consideration to the effect the calling, or equally as important, the not calling of a rule violation will have. (i.e. advantage / disadvantage)

MECHANICS OF OFFICIATING
Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the Officials Manual.

APPEARANCE AND CONDITIONING
Is in excellent physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy
Official’s uniform and overall appearance is neat, clean and well kept.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 07:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Or This ...

Official's Creed

Self Knowledge: Officials know the game, not only rulebook knowledge, where they pride themselves on the “one-rule, one-interpretation” principle, but also on the court practical knowledge.

Court Presence: Officials have a keen eye. They control the action on the court by their demeanor.

Composure and Poise: Officials don’t panic. They have discipline and remain in control under adverse conditions.

Ability to Adjust: Officials have the ability to adjust their game. Officials are aware of their own mistakes and can adjust to team patterns and unusual situations.

Ability to Lift Game: Officials have the ability to come back when not at their best. Whether a poor call or a series of missed calls, officials accomplish what it takes to get the game successfully completed. Officials rise to the occasion, and as the pitcher who is brought into the game in the last inning is referred to as “the closer,” the official is referred to as “the finisher.”

Tempo: Official always lets the players create the game tempo within the spirit and intent of the rules. An official knows when to stop the game to make it better, and not to interfere.

Ability to Learn: Officials attend interpretation meetings, attend camps and clinics, and learn from previous games. They think about what errors they may have made and apply appropriate rules, principles, or mechanics to ensure the same mistakes do not replicate.

Drive to Improve: Officials are never satisfied. They always want to improve and get better.

Knowledge and Proper Application of the Rules
The development of this quality is one of the prime functions of IAABO—one rule, one interpretation. A letter-perfect knowledge of the rules is essential, but in itself, does not guarantee good officiating. The official must know the relationship of one rule to another. Further, it is important to have a background for the rules, to understand the reason for a rule; if the official interpretation of the rule in its application in play situations is clear.

Mechanics of Officiating
Have a thorough knowledge of the Manual. Up-to-date techniques and procedures are fully explained in the Manual. Proper mechanics and floor coverage is imperative to be a good official.

Appearance and Physical Condition
Unless an official is in excellent physical condition, reaction time and the ability to keep up with the high level of play will be less than satisfactory. Credibility with coaches and the fans is also negatively affected. The official uniform should be clean and well kept.

Cooperation
The ability to team with your fellow officials is absolutely essential. Each must have trust and confidence in the other; there must exist the greatest harmony. Each should welcome the support of the other, with neither attempting to dominate the game. Remember a team of officials officiates the contest. Occasionally, personalities clash, temperaments, mannerisms, tactics seem to conflict rather than to blend. When these differences become evident, and seem fundamentally difficult to resolve, then those officials should not work in the same contest. Each may be an excellent official in his/her own right.

Reaction Time
One either has it or one does not. A little practice, and one reaches the maximum of their potential in this all-important quality. Additional practice does not seem to change the results materially. A person who does not possess above average reaction time has little chance of becoming a top-level official. Split second decisions must be made. The tempo of the game is such that unless the official can react quickly enough to make a decision at the moment of its occurrence, subsequent play is often confusing and leads to rough play. In addition, he is often surprised to find that he has developed a habit contrary to the rules. By alert
officiating, with respect to reaction time, the official is making a player immediately aware of mistakes and thus helping to correct them. By acting on player behavior the official diffuses a potentially volatile situation.

Intestinal Fortitude
No explanation is needed here; courage, guts, strength, character, call it by any name; the ability to identify something happened and the courage to blow your whistle.

Confidence
Factors which reflect the confidence of the official and which gain the confidence of the players, coaches, and spectators are many. Probably most effective is court presence. Movement which denotes certainty, sometimes to a degree of cockiness, transmits the aura of confidence and control. Decisive action, not hasty, but with no element of hesitation is highly desirable. Leave no question of doubt, portray possessiveness and certainty to win acceptance. Never be apologetic or hesitant as an official. A resonant, strong voice, properly pitched, carrying conviction, displaying firmness, can do much to breed confidence. A baritone quality is best, a high-pitched voice is poorest. The use of the voice supplemented by pantomime for the purpose of clarity is
desirable. Few officials have mastered the acting stage of their art. Most have not developed the techniques of using their voices and motions effectively. Officials tend to be too timid in this phase. They are definite in conveying decisions to players and spectators. As a result they sometimes display mannerisms and mechanics that create distrust and oftentimes disbelief by players and coaches. On the other hand, it must be emphasized that dramatics carried to the extreme are definitely frowned upon. Such tactics take attention from the game and players, and focus it upon the official. This must not be so. The happy medium must be made. The whistle can do much to give a feeling of certainty. A sharp, staccato, single sound can make it talk. Develop your own style, but always do so within the framework of the accepted signals and mechanics.

Poise
Players and coaches are under considerable tension; consequently, any actions which will produce calmness and emotional control should be employed. The better official will inject sufficient pauses and quieting maneuvers to create a steadying effect upon the contestants. He/she will do this throughout the game, and particularly toward the end. There are many play situations in which the official’s quiet influence can be a saving grace. The official may employ varied tactics to relieve the tension. They are actions which are seldom noticed and yet are tremendously effective. For example, the difference between the official who in effect says, “Unfortunately,
you’ve made a mistake that has placed your opponent at a disadvantage, and I have no alternative but to penalize you according to the rules,” as compared to the official who, with a show of belligerency, says, in effect, “There, I caught you that time.” It seems that the best officials are those who remain human and approachable. Usually they are accepted even when they are wrong. At least, everyone is more charitable toward them when there is a disagreement. Oft-times the presentation of a brusque exterior is a cloak behind which to hide inferior ability. The oft-quoted expression, “A soft answer turneth away wrath,” applies here. When handling the ball out-of-bounds, the official can restore poise by even unhurried action rather than hasty impatient motion. Likewise, hesitation on the free throw, to permit adjustments at the lines and to give clear, complete information on the number of shots, tend to ease the situation considerably. A pause before announcing a decision, after blowing the whistle to stop play, is effective; and coupled with a steady voice, is doubly so. As has been stated, the subtleness of tactics of this kind hides the intent, but nevertheless produces the desired results.

Consistency
The greatest virtue which an official can possess is consistency. He/she may have an incorrect interpretation of a rule; he/she may practice techniques contrary to those to which a team is accustomed; judgment on some play situations may be in conflict with the commonly accepted interpretations - but with it all, if the official’s practice and decision are exactly the same under the same or similar circumstances, players can readily adjust their play to fit the official. They may be surprised and confused momentarily, but when they discover that the official is unwavering in procedures, they can reorganize and continue with confidence. Probably the greatest inconsistencies occur in judgments on charging and blocking. The official should give this play much thought and attention, and learn to call it consistently. Have the courage to withhold a whistle despite contact if no advantage has been gained. If a highly technical call is made and then a flagrant act is passed on the players are placed in a position where they cannot establish a flow. Some officials may never be able to attain a high degree of consistency and they should be eliminated, just as incapable players are gradually cut from the squad. However, much can be done to point the way.

Judgment—Based on Rules
If basic principles are established which will be a guide for determining the legality of play and the responsibility for acts committed, the foundation upon which to and sound judgment will be built up through experience in handling contests. Practice will clear the cobwebs in this all-important phase of the art.

Source: California Basketball Officials Association (CBOA)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 09:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The idea that we're supposed to have ANY quality, let alone 12, is a bit disconcerting.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dford View Post
I am a college student taking a sports officiating class and I need some help regarding an assignment. I have not received my book (Modern Sports Officiating) in the mail yet and I need help answering a couple of questions from the first 2 chapters.

1) List the 5 roles of an official -- I have an idea of what to put, but it probably won't be what the book has

2) 12 qualities of a competent official

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone on here has this book or has read it, I would benefit greatly from any information.

Thanks in advance.
Partner, we can give you ideas but as you've already said, it probably won't be what the book has.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

thanks

thanks guys for the help. i spoke with my professor about not having the book, and he told me that he would work with me if I just answered the questions the best I could. it's an online class and I am 500 miles away from the campus bookstore so I'm just gonna try to do the best I can.

Thanks again for the help though.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Why We Officiate
by Curt ‘Doc’ Johnson

Why?

It's standing on the field listening to the National Anthem with your eyes closed and your hat over your heart, thanking God for your life and your country.
It's walking onto the field and seeing the relieved look on the face of a coach that knows he's got a great crew tonight.
It's the long drive to the game reviewing every detail of rules and mechanics, and yet having time for a joke or two.
It's walking around the school or stadium looking for your locker room because the AD forgot to have someone meet you.
It's every story that begins with, "Remember when..."
It's the genuine look of concern on your crew mates faces when one of your brothers has fallen, and the round of laughter shortly thereafter when it's obvious he's alright.
It's officiating a game shortly before and after your father dies because he taught you what honor is and to always do your duty.
It's sitting silently at the an association meeting listening to others figure out a complicated ruling and then having them turn to you and ask, "Is that right?"
It's leaving your family for a 3-day clinic, and your wife supporting your decision, and your dream, because she understands if "it's not good for him, then it's not good for us."
It's bringing an extra pair of socks along just in case somebody forgets theirs.
It's meeting someone and finding out he's an official and immediately becoming friends because of that fact.
It's working through the sore muscles, bad knees, and the smell of "Ben-Gay."
It's lost job wages, small game fees, and that smile on your face when someone says, "You’re just doing this for the money."
It's the feel of your heart pounding before the coin toss as you reach into your pocket for the coin that isn't there.
It's finishing a 3rd grade game and having a 9-year-old run up to you and sincerely say, "Thank you, Mr. Official."
It's hearing that a coach was putting you down behind your back, and that another official defended you by saying "he's the best official in the state."
It's having to "buy the first round" because you're the first one to get dirt on your knickers during the game.
It's that "one play" that happened years ago that your crew keeps talking about. You all know the one.
It's the 8 x 8 foot dressing room they give you with a showerhead that barely works.
It's leading by the example of sportsmanship, and hoping some of that will rub off on players, coaches, and other officials.
It's knowing that no matter what happens during the game, you'll get it right.
It's also knowing the greatest sign of wisdom is realizing that you don't know everything.
It's Snickers bars , beef jerky, and sodas made from fermented grains.
It's rulebooks, discussion boards, countless e-mails, and good friends whose faces you have yet to see.
It's striving to be both a scholar of the rules, and a philosopher of the spirit of the game.
It's being perfect the first day and working to improve every day thereafter.
It's knowing that you're a part of a tradition of honorable men, names of whom are mostly forgotten or weren't really known to begin with, but who still did their thankless jobs for the love of the game because it was the right thing to do.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 06:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks For Sharing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
It's the feel of your heart pounding before the coin toss as you reach into your pocket for the coin that isn't there.
Now you have my complete attention.