The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 11:06am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
If I'm officiating with a rookie, and he makes a mistake, I simply just walk to him, tell him that he simply messed up, and then I'll go to the coaches and take the heat from them instead of the rookie.
I'm not sure I care for that approach on a call that is simply poor judgment.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I'm officiating with a rookie, and he makes a mistake, I simply just walk to him, tell him that he simply messed up, and then I'll go to the coaches and take the heat from them instead of the rookie.
This is awful. Talk about arrogant...
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'm not sure I care for that approach on a call that is simply poor judgment.
I just show a little compassion. I know when I was a rookie I've made the same mistakes that I'm seeing rookies do today. Don't you remember when you first started, how nervous you were about your first few days and such? Gotta be willing to help out as long as they want to be helped out.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 11:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I would have let him eat it, but that all depends on how the other official is.

If I'm officiating with an official that has been around for a while, and we get along, I'd talk with him.

Now if it's a stubborn, I'm-better-than-anyone kind of official, like who I was with last saturday for my buzzer shot before halftime situation, then I'd just let them eat it and walk away. If coaches ask me, I'll just simply say "Ask him/her, I didn't blow the whistle".
1. You realize that by doing this, you've thrown your partner under the bus, right? You've just let the coach know he's a rookie and/or you don't trust him. Way to go, partner.

2. When my partners call a foul in front of me, I assume they saw something I didn't and let it go. If I disagree with the call, I'll talk to him later.

3. Good grief.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 11:28am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I just show a little compassion.
No you're not, you're tossing your partner under the bus and then backing it up over him a few times.

Quote:
Don't you remember when you first started, how nervous you were about your first few days and such?
I do actually...that would've been back in mid November of this year. I certainly hope a partner doesn't do that to me on a play they've deemed I have applied bad judgment.

When I started umpiring baseball 13 years ago, none of the veterans ever did that to me when I did kick a call (and I did). I've never done that to a rookie, it doesn't help him learn. It only undermines him.

I understand you think you're doing the right thing, but I simply cannot agree that it is the proper way to handle a situation like this.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. You realize that by doing this, you've thrown your partner under the bus, right? You've just let the coach know he's a rookie and/or you don't trust him. Way to go, partner.

2. When my partners call a foul in front of me, I assume they saw something I didn't and let it go. If I disagree with the call, I'll talk to him later.

3. Good grief.
So what does the "representing stand for?" I highly doubt it's officiating the game of basketball. Many of your reponses are ridiculous and mirror someone who enjoys the authority. I see you as a young (and to me that would be under 35) male starved for the admiration of others.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 12:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
So what does the "representing stand for?" I highly doubt it's officiating the game of basketball. Many of your reponses are ridiculous and mirror someone who enjoys the authority. I see you as a young (and to me that would be under 35) male starved for the admiration of others.
Pulling out my best Deniro (which is bad), "You talking to me?"
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Pulling out my best Deniro (which is bad), "You talking to me?"
No the Mr "Representing"

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

your partner just lost all credibility once you came and talked him out of the foul. Poor choice on your part. We have all made bad calls we want back, but if my partner ever came over like you did the ambulance would be for him after the game and not gramps..
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
your partner just lost all credibility once you came and talked him out of the foul. Poor choice on your part. We have all made bad calls we want back, but if my partner ever came over like you did the ambulance would be for him after the game and not gramps..
As a combatives instructor and being able to bench over 300lbs.....I doubt it. He had already lost any creditbility when he made a fantom call 40+ FT away right in front of me. I still say I should have let it go. But getting it right wasn't as poor of a choice as you say in my book. The only thing I did wrong was pussing out and not using the AP. The last thing you should be worried about is me telling you something everyone else saw but you.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie719 View Post
The only thing I did wrong was pussing out and not using the AP. The last thing you should be worried about is me telling you something everyone else saw but you.
This kind of attitude ought to keep you working freshman games for a long time.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Really? How do you figure? I work when I am open. Everything from V down to 5th grade (I like officiating basketball). Apparently you can't read. I said I should have done nothing in retrospect. I asked him if he wanted help...I didn't make him do anything. It wasn't me who said that I would need and ambulance after the game. It was some other poster.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

You said:

Quote:
The only thing I did wrong was pussing out and not using the AP.
You should not question your partner's judgment during the game. You have a chip on your shoulder. Good luck.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a combatives instructor and being able to bench over 300lbs.....I doubt it. He had already lost any creditbility when he made a fantom call 40+ FT away right in front of me. I still say I should have let it go. But getting it right wasn't as poor of a choice as you say in my book. The only thing I did wrong was pussing out and not using the AP. The last thing you should be worried about is me telling you something everyone else saw but you.
I'm confused.

You seemed to come here wanting feedback. Now that it doesn't agree with what you wanted to hear, you don't want it.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
It ought to, but from my experience it usually doesn't....