The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Crowd/Player Help

Had a weird one last night in a 5th-6th playoff game. Ball went out of bounds on my side and I couldn't tell who it was off, ( three players all crowded around the ball when it went flying out of bounds) I blow whistle and look at partner for help, he didn't see who it was off either. I call jump ball and say, "red" and then point to the correct rim. As I'm gathering the ball to hand off for the throw in a parent says, "it went off white." (She was right there and the ball actually hit her when it flew out of bounds.) I said to her, "I believe you 100%, but since I called a jump ball I have to go with the arrow. A white player that was involved with the incident then says to me, "it went off my foot." So I said to him, "thanks for being honest." I reff all grades 3rd through 12, but I have to say one of my favorite things about the lower levels is you can explain the rules as you reff. Any games middle school or higher I usually don't talk to the audience.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Had a weird one last night in a 5th-6th playoff game. Ball went out of bounds on my side and I couldn't tell who it was off, ( three players all crowded around the ball when it went flying out of bounds) I blow whistle and look at partner for help, he didn't see who it was off either. I call jump ball and say, "red" and then point to the correct rim. As I'm gathering the ball to hand off for the throw in a parent says, "it went off white." (She was right there and the ball actually hit her when it flew out of bounds.) I said to her, "I believe you 100%, but since I called a jump ball I have to go with the arrow. A white player that was involved with the incident then says to me, "it went off my foot." So I said to him, "thanks for being honest." I reff all grades 3rd through 12, but I have to say one of my favorite things about the lower levels is you can explain the rules as you reff. Any games middle school or higher I usually don't talk to the audience.
At least the player admitted to how the play happened.

From what I've read both on here, & in "Officiating Basketball", basically spectators/fans are supposed to be just that.

How am I understanding things, the only ones you should be asking, in a situation like this, would be the players, coaches, bench personnel, the other officials, or the table staff.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post

From what I've read both on here, & in "Officiating Basketball", basically spectators/fans are supposed to be just that.

How am I understanding things, the only ones you should be asking, in a situation like this, would be the players, coaches, bench personnel, the other officials, or the table staff.
Yep. If I don't know I am definitely gonna ask the players and the coaches.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What exactly are we asking the players, coaches, or bench personnel?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
What exactly are we asking the players, coaches, or bench personnel?
That's exactly what I want to know. You think a player, especially JH, JV or Varsity, is going to be honest about a ball going off his/her foot? I'm willing to bet 99% of the time NO...
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
In this situation, going to the arrow is correct. However, I don't know about the player telling you it went off of him. Yes, no one will lie about the ball going out on him/her, but if you already went to the arrow, what will you do?

Good thing with the eye contact, though. You wouldn't believe how many games I did where my partner was in your situation and would go straight to the arrow without looking to me, whether or not if I saw who it was out on. And the majority of the time I did see who it went out on.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 06:37am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Here's one I had.....

I am doing the first of my two "All-Star Games". B7/8. This is the only 7 and 8 yr old game I do all year......and, it's a solo act.

Pretty good game really. Of course, at this age as long as you know a foul, travel, and a jump ball, you can pretty much call the game!

Late in the third quarter I'm at the foul line extended, and the ball is shot from my side, misses everything is pin-balled around on the other side of the court and I am horribly screened. Ball goes out of bounds. I thought it was off blue and announce it as such. White ball.

As I am about to put the ball in play, a little boy 23W comes over to me and says in a very soft voice, "Mr. Official, the ball was off me, it should be blue ball." Me -

I announce to the gym, "Ladies and gentlemen, this young man said the ball was off him. Blue ball."

And don't ya know the parents and fans applauded the little boy's honesty. Really a great moment and great way to end the yr.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You really don't have the knowledge to be giving advice about how officials should do their job. You are a scorekeeper. Stick to what you know. Giving the wrong advice is not helpful.