The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Great game

Girls varsity game (conference game between rival schools). Team A is 3-0, team B is 3-1. Team A has the leading scorer in the area (30 pts per game). A big crowd adds to the excitement.

The game is well played (and close all night long). The largest lead is probably less than 8 points. Team B does a pretty good job of keeping the scoring machine covered. At halftime, she's got maybe 10 points (our locker room guess). The second half is close all the way. The big scorer gets hammered on a 3 point attempt with 30 seconds to go (game is tied) and she buries all three shots. Team B calls timeout and sets up a play for the tie. Good shot, but it bangs off the rim into the hands of a girl who played in the JV game. With 5 seconds left on the clock, she heaves up a deep 3 pointer and it goes in. Overtime!

Both teams score 7 points in the first OT, so we move on to the second OT. Again, it's back and forth...2 points here, three points there. A couple more players foul out and the subs rise to the occasion. In the end, Team A pulls out a 3 point win (Team B just misses a 3 at the buzzer).

I had two great partners and we were on the same page all night long. Each of us had big grins on our faces because we were having so much fun.

Oh, the big scorer ended up with 39 points (18 for 18 at the foul line).

Games like this make up for a lot of lopsided, poorly played ones!
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 10:09pm
In Time Out

I love great girls games. They are a joy to ref. One of my best games was similar with an OT, last second shot and a foul.

Are there rules against JV player moving up like that?
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

It's legal in Ohio. They are allowed to play so many quarters in one day. I believe she played 2 quarters in the JV game.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Who knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I love great girls games.They are a joy to ref. One of my best games was similar with an OT, last second shot and a foul.
There's such a thing? Where's Billy Mac and his mythbusters post when you need one?

Last edited by eyezen; Mon Dec 14, 2009 at 08:40am.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 05:40am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I resent that......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I love great girls games. They are a joy to ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
There's such a thing? Where's Billy Mac and his mythbusters post when you need one?
Hey, I've refereed alot of girls games......and seen several good ones!
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 07:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Mythbusters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Every state, every conference, has different "rules" about maximum, or even, minimum for younger players, quarters played. The NFHS, and luckily, the state of Connecticut, doesn't address that issue. Some might be surprised to find out that eighth graders can play varsity basketball in some smaller school districts in some parts of the country. Some kids actually earn four varsity letters in basketball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Just last Friday I did a couple of games for what I think is the smallest school in NH. They had 7th and 8th graders on their varsity teams. 50 students in HS. Both the girls and boys varsity won..it will be fun to follow them during the year but glad I don't go up there again..two hour drive one way..
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 08:09am
9/11 - Never Forget

Thumbs up Wow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by som44 View Post
two hour drive one way.
You're either really crazy or really dedicated! Care to share which?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

2 hours is a bit much, but not that uncommon in lots of areas. Little schools in the middle of nowhere are usually just happy to get good refs. And normally they treat you very well.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
2 hours is a bit much, but not that uncommon in lots of areas. Little schools in the middle of nowhere are usually just happy to get good refs. And normally they treat you very well.
Yep. All depends on what part of the country you're in. Here, I rarely travel much over an hour. Back in Kansas, two hours or more happened several times a year.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes I wonder myself...but here in Northern NH we do a bit of traveling...2 hours is unusual but most of my games are 1 hour each way.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 05:23pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by som44 View Post
Just last Friday I did a couple of games for what I think is the smallest school in NH. They had 7th and 8th graders on their varsity teams. 50 students in HS. Both the girls and boys varsity won..it will be fun to follow them during the year but glad I don't go up there again..two hour drive one way..
Pittsburg or Stratford?

[Probably Pittsburg if they won both games]
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't think you could go 2 hrs in NH.

When I coached in W. ND we'd go 240 miles one way for a league game.

Now, I officiate and we go 2 to 2 1/2 hrs one way max. They pay mileage so I don't mind although it gets a little chilly in the winter.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 05:47pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Thumbs down

In Northern Va it took me well over an hour to go 15 friggn miles last Friday night due to our nightmare traffic......the school was right there and I couldn't get to it. 25 minutes to go the last 1.5 miles. I was ticked.

I beat my partner to the gym by a good bit (but we talked via the cell). V Team showed up late and we had a running clock for the F game to get back on schedule.....

Two hour drive for me might only be 25 miles.......
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like it would be faster and less frustrating to just park the car and jog that last 1.5 miles to the school.