The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Who should have first shot at the call?

C is table side when a fast break occurs. Players A1 & B1 are coming down C's side of the court. The L is running about even with the play. At about the FT line extended A1 makes a move towards the hoop and in the paint (C side) there is a crash. Both the C & L blow their whistle. Who should take the call? Why?
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 08:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

More likely the C, but if the play is in transition, this is about angles. Make eye contact and have someone make the call.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
More likely the C, but if the play is in transition, this is about angles. Make eye contact and have someone make the call.

Peace
What Rut said.

Good crew communication before the game about double whistles and eye contact after the call should take care of this. One of you should judge that the other official had a better angle and give it up quickly.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiicream View Post
C is table side when a fast break occurs. Players A1 & B1 are coming down C's side of the court. The L is running about even with the play. At about the FT line extended A1 makes a move towards the hoop and in the paint (C side) there is a crash. Both the C & L blow their whistle. Who should take the call? Why?
Where is C? If C is also keeping up with the play, C's primary. If C is way behind the play, it is likely L. But, in either case, it is about communication (and hoping that BOTH remember to take a quick peak before declaring their findings publicly via a preliminary signal).
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 08:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd say it depends where the foul is. In transition, it's all about how the play develops and the associated angles we get -- and if I'd have to guess through players (for example if I'm the lead and the foul is from behind where the C has a wide open look) I'd expect the other guy to take it.

Of course, if I'm left guessing, I'm not blowing my whistle, so in your case you have to quickly determine who has the best look.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

All things being equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiicream View Post

The play originated in C's primary and the "crash" occurred in C's primary. All things being equal, It is C's call. However things are rarely equal. So as all the previous posts state, it will likely take a little communication to get the call right.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

If L is "about even with the play" that's probably got him straight lined and I'd hope L would give this up to C who presumably is behind the play and looking through. But, like most such discussions, HTBT.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
If L is "about even with the play" that's probably got him straight lined and I'd hope L would give this up to C who presumably is behind the play and looking through. But, like most such discussions, HTBT.
I was actually thinking the opposite. If L is even with the play, and the defender is between the dribbler and the basket, he likely has a good angle and the C is straightlined.

Guess you HTBT.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

If I am the L in this situation, personally, I will not make this call. I will give C the first crack at it.

Is it me or are the L when transitioning are stopping just a little short of the endline?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
If I am the L in this situation, personally, I will not make this call. I will give C the first crack at it.

Is it me or are the L when transitioning are stopping just a little short of the endline?
You need to stop where you judge you will have the best angle. At some point, you are going to get straighlined -- but the specific point depends on what the players do.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You need to stop where you judge you will have the best angle. At some point, you are going to get straighlined -- but the specific point depends on what the players do.
Correct! I agree with your premise. It's just that officiating is forever evolving and you will encounter different perspectives throughout it. I'm attempting to keep a open mind that is all.