The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Who should have first shot at the call? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55901-who-should-have-first-shot-call.html)

iiicream Sun Dec 13, 2009 08:11pm

Who should have first shot at the call?

C is table side when a fast break occurs. Players A1 & B1 are coming down C's side of the court. The L is running about even with the play. At about the FT line extended A1 makes a move towards the hoop and in the paint (C side) there is a crash. Both the C & L blow their whistle. Who should take the call? Why?

JRutledge Sun Dec 13, 2009 08:14pm

More likely the C, but if the play is in transition, this is about angles. Make eye contact and have someone make the call.

Peace

jdw3018 Sun Dec 13, 2009 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 642363)
More likely the C, but if the play is in transition, this is about angles. Make eye contact and have someone make the call.

Peace

What Rut said.

Good crew communication before the game about double whistles and eye contact after the call should take care of this. One of you should judge that the other official had a better angle and give it up quickly.

CMHCoachNRef Mon Dec 14, 2009 07:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiicream (Post 642362)
C is table side when a fast break occurs. Players A1 & B1 are coming down C's side of the court. The L is running about even with the play. At about the FT line extended A1 makes a move towards the hoop and in the paint (C side) there is a crash. Both the C & L blow their whistle. Who should take the call? Why?

Where is C? If C is also keeping up with the play, C's primary. If C is way behind the play, it is likely L. But, in either case, it is about communication (and hoping that BOTH remember to take a quick peak before declaring their findings publicly via a preliminary signal).

Rich Mon Dec 14, 2009 08:13am

I'd say it depends where the foul is. In transition, it's all about how the play develops and the associated angles we get -- and if I'd have to guess through players (for example if I'm the lead and the foul is from behind where the C has a wide open look) I'd expect the other guy to take it.

Of course, if I'm left guessing, I'm not blowing my whistle, so in your case you have to quickly determine who has the best look.

Scratch85 Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:28pm

All things being equal

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiicream (Post 642362)

The play originated in C's primary and the "crash" occurred in C's primary. All things being equal, It is C's call. However things are rarely equal. So as all the previous posts state, it will likely take a little communication to get the call right.

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:52pm

If L is "about even with the play" that's probably got him straight lined and I'd hope L would give this up to C who presumably is behind the play and looking through. But, like most such discussions, HTBT.

jdw3018 Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 642516)
If L is "about even with the play" that's probably got him straight lined and I'd hope L would give this up to C who presumably is behind the play and looking through. But, like most such discussions, HTBT.

I was actually thinking the opposite. If L is even with the play, and the defender is between the dribbler and the basket, he likely has a good angle and the C is straightlined.

Guess you HTBT. :)

truerookie Mon Dec 14, 2009 01:05pm

If I am the L in this situation, personally, I will not make this call. I will give C the first crack at it.

Is it me or are the L when transitioning are stopping just a little short of the endline?

bob jenkins Mon Dec 14, 2009 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 642528)
If I am the L in this situation, personally, I will not make this call. I will give C the first crack at it.

Is it me or are the L when transitioning are stopping just a little short of the endline?

You need to stop where you judge you will have the best angle. At some point, you are going to get straighlined -- but the specific point depends on what the players do.

truerookie Mon Dec 14, 2009 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 642533)
You need to stop where you judge you will have the best angle. At some point, you are going to get straighlined -- but the specific point depends on what the players do.

Correct! I agree with your premise. It's just that officiating is forever evolving and you will encounter different perspectives throughout it. I'm attempting to keep a open mind that is all.