The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Books

Some of the other posts got me wondering how you all handle the books when you are the R on a game. Do you make a coach (assistant if needs be) come over and initial the book? Do you go over every player's name and number?

I see some guys spend 30 seconds at the table and other guys who spend 3 minutes there, so I am wondering what it is you are looking at? I'd like to hear how each of you handle the table/books for a game you are the R on the crew.

Thanks
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

I make sure the amount of players in the book match the amount on the court for each team. (Or at least make sure a team doesn't have more on the court than in the book...If so I have the coach check it to see if they need to add anyone)

I check that starters are marked, and that all the numbers are legal. I take it to the HC or AC and have them look over it to make sure everything looks right.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

1. I introduce myself to the table crew and try to get their names and experience level. The lower the level the more I'll say about what we expect from them. This can take some time. I almost always add, "If there are any problems or concerns, no matter how minor, please call us over during the next dead ball and we'll fix it. It's always easier to fix it now rather than later."
2. I review the home book first, checking how many players are listed vs. how many we've counted on the floor. I check that starters are marked, contact lenses and asthma marked, etc.
3. I sign the book, add my license number, and write my partner's name.
4. I do the same for the visitor's book.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Some of the other posts got me wondering how you all handle the books when you are the R on a game. Do you make a coach (assistant if needs be) come over and initial the book?
I've never understood why some do that. He's responsible for his roster, whether he signs the book or not. And in the end, if the book is wrong his initials don't mean anything.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
contact lenses and asthma marked, etc.
I've never heard of this? Is this something required locally?

What is included in "etc."?
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 03:05pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I've never understood why some do that. He's responsible for his roster, whether he signs the book or not. And in the end, if the book is wrong his initials don't mean anything.
If there is a mistake, we can deal with it sooner rather than later, and decide whose mistake it was, the one who submitted the list, or the one who copied it.

The ten minute rule around here is pretty much unenforceable, since often there is less than a ten minute interval between games.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
I've never heard of this? Is this something required locally?

What is included in "etc."?
It's not required by NFHS rule.

I've never understood why it's important to have this in the book, or ask captains about it in the captain's meeting. If a kid loses a lens, he's going to stop and I'm going to realize it at the same time I would have anyway.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a specific requirement as to when the person doing scorebook is supposed to be at the table to work the game?

Before the Boys' C-Squad game last night, I filled out the visitors' roster in the home book cause of the fact that the person did not show up until tipoff to do the book.

I'd always seen the scorer there, this was the 1st time that this has happened.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Is there a specific requirement as to when the person doing scorebook is supposed to be at the table to work the game?

Before the Boys' C-Squad game last night, I filled out the visitors' roster in the home book cause of the fact that the person did not show up until tipoff to do the book.

I'd always seen the scorer there, this was the 1st time that this has happened.
In a varsity contest, I expect the scorers to be there in plenty of time to have the books ready before the 10:00 mark.

At a sub-varsity contest, I'm always very happy if they're there, with some type of writing utensil, before tipoff.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
In a varsity contest, I expect the scorers to be there in plenty of time to have the books ready before the 10:00 mark.

At a sub-varsity contest, I'm always very happy if they're there, with some type of writing utensil, before tipoff.
With the V contests, as soon as the 20 minute pregame starts, if not a bit before, the home book is at the table.

Generally, the same could be said about the JV & C-Squad books as well. Last night, however, was a bit different.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
No.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 04:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Some of the other posts got me wondering how you all handle the books when you are the R on a game. Do you make a coach (assistant if needs be) come over and initial the book? Do you go over every player's name and number?

I see some guys spend 30 seconds at the table and other guys who spend 3 minutes there, so I am wondering what it is you are looking at? I'd like to hear how each of you handle the table/books for a game you are the R on the crew.

Thanks
I see very little need to verify anything with a coach about the book. All I care about is do we have the same number of players on the floor as we have in the book. You cannot check their numbers most of the time because everyone has warm-ups on a lot of the time. I look for 5 starters (which are almost never wrong anyway) and move on. I have a couple of friends that seem to think this is a big deal. I have never seen it as a big deal. It is not my job in my opinion to baby sit them. These are adults and they should know what information they give the team. And if they think something is wrong, have some information to back up what they gave the book especially if you are the visiting team or working a tournament. After all of this, leave and move on.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Duplicate Numbers ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I make sure the amount of players in the book match the amount on the court for each team. I check that starters are marked, and that all the numbers are legal.
Don't forget duplicate numbers, which are probably the same, by rule, as illegal numbers, but just wanted to make sure we covered it.

Years ago we use to check for contact lenses, until dozens of kids started wearing them. If a kid wants to lie to me about nonexistent contact lenses falling out to catch his breath, then I'll let it be on his conscience.

I stopped asking for "speaking captains" a few years ago. I'll talk to anyone who addresses me respectfully, including the twelfth man down the end of the bench.

The referee makes sure that the officials names are in the book to be sure that we get paid, and in case the head coach wants to "vote" for us for the state tournament.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 06:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I stopped asking for "speaking captains" a few years ago. I'll talk to anyone who addresses me respectfully, including the twelfth man down the end of the bench.
I only ask for this as a procedural issue. I honestly hardly use the speaking captain for anything unless something unusual is needed to be discussed, like a delay or God forbid a fight. But during the course of the game, I talk to any player that has a legitimate question, but then again I do not want to hear from teenagers about what is going on in a basketball game. They need to play, not asking me for stuff. Just my opinion.

Peace