The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 01:50am
Archaic Power Monger

Got the First One Out of the Way

A forewarning, this post is a bit verbose and rambling but I just felt compelled to share.

Had a couple of boys middle school games today. The 7th grade game was a little sloppy but not too bad and ended up going into OT. Sorry Mark, I'll do better next time. Had both coaches a little unhappy with us over some calls but nothing too out of hand.

We get ready to start the 8th grade game and we have definitely stepped it up a notch. I'm half tempted to check the drivers license on half of these kids. The game is a physical one with the visiting team committing quite a few fouls, which is causing their head coach to get louder, alternating between yelling at his players and voicing his displeasure with our call selection.

The visiting team goes into the bonus in the beginning of the fourth quarter and while we're lining up to shoot free throws after a foul, the visiting coach starts in on us about the disparity in the foul count. My partner has enough and warns him. The coach quiets down for a while and we continue.

With about two minutes left, I call a pushing foul on a visiting team player for going through the back of a home player during a rebound. A solid foul and an easy call. I go to the table to report and the visiting coach is furious. He screams at me "13 fouls to one, so that's how it's going to be HUH?!"

It was instinctive for me and almost an out of body experience as I hit the whistle and T'd up the coach. The best part of it was that he stopped in mid tirade, stared at me with mouth gaping and then managed to stammer out a meek "Well OK then." He wasn't even correct about the foul counts, go figure.

In retrospect, we probably let him carry on too long throughout the game. I'll chalk that one up as a lesson learned. All in all, I feel that I had a good couple of games and my veteran partner was pleased with how I did as well.

The coach's expression tonight was priceless. I'd be lying if I said tonight's post-game Dr. Pepper didn't taste just a bit better than normal.

Last edited by Welpe; Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 01:53am.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Glad you enjoyed the Dr Pepper. You earned it; you deserve it.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 07:47am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The 7th grade game was a little sloppy but not too bad.
I had 8th and 7th grade girls last night. Final scores 13-9 and 20-8. They simply couldn't shoot. But, I've had worse.

T'd up an 8th grader for unsporting behavior as I called her for a travel and she slammed the ball to the floor and it bouonced 20' in the air. Whack!! She sat on the end of the bench and cried for an entire quarter....... But, she redeemd herself by scoring what would eventually be the winning basket (making the score 11-9). The 12/13th points were scored by the opponents making a layup in the wrong basket - now THAT shot she made!

Quote:
We get ready to start the 8th grade game and we have definitely stepped it up a notch. I'm half tempted to check the drivers license on half of these kids.
Absolutely understand! I am amazed at when I see 14/15 yr old boys who are 6' and have beards! Yikes.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 07:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Or Something Like That ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
She sat on the end of the bench and cried for an entire quarter.
Didn't Tom Hanks say that there's no crying in basketball?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 09:45pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Unfortunately a) He wasn't coaching her this particular game, and b) She may be a little young for that movie!
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 09:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Grune, you big meanie!
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A League Of their Own:

"There's no crying in baseball!!"

If there's no crying in basketball, then why do I always see crying when a team loses the state championship game?
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 10:01pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Billy Knows That.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
A League Of their Own:

That's why his post is entitled - Or Something Like That ???
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 10:03pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Grune, you big meanie!
I've been called worse!
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
That's why his post is entitled - Or Something Like That ???
Quote:
A League Of their Own:

If there's no crying in basketball, then why do I always see crying when a team loses the state championship game?
I saw into the joke. Like I stated, if there's no crying basketball, why do I always see the losing teaam crying at the end of the state championship?

Basically in all levels of competition of basketball, from HS all the way up to International/Olympic play & WNBA/NBA, the losing team always has at least one member in tears. Can't they be proud of their own & team achievements to make it that far?
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the losing team always has at least one member in tears. Can't they be proud of their own & team achievements to make it that far?
Yes, I'm sure that's what the tears mean.

Lah me.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes, I'm sure that's what the tears mean.

Lah me.
You big meanie.