The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Got the First One Out of the Way (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55786-got-first-one-out-way.html)

Welpe Fri Dec 11, 2009 01:50am

Got the First One Out of the Way

A forewarning, this post is a bit verbose and rambling but I just felt compelled to share. :)

Had a couple of boys middle school games today. The 7th grade game was a little sloppy but not too bad and ended up going into OT. Sorry Mark, I'll do better next time. :rolleyes: Had both coaches a little unhappy with us over some calls but nothing too out of hand.

We get ready to start the 8th grade game and we have definitely stepped it up a notch. I'm half tempted to check the drivers license on half of these kids. The game is a physical one with the visiting team committing quite a few fouls, which is causing their head coach to get louder, alternating between yelling at his players and voicing his displeasure with our call selection.

The visiting team goes into the bonus in the beginning of the fourth quarter and while we're lining up to shoot free throws after a foul, the visiting coach starts in on us about the disparity in the foul count. My partner has enough and warns him. The coach quiets down for a while and we continue.

With about two minutes left, I call a pushing foul on a visiting team player for going through the back of a home player during a rebound. A solid foul and an easy call. I go to the table to report and the visiting coach is furious. He screams at me "13 fouls to one, so that's how it's going to be HUH?!"

It was instinctive for me and almost an out of body experience as I hit the whistle and T'd up the coach. The best part of it was that he stopped in mid tirade, stared at me with mouth gaping and then managed to stammer out a meek "Well OK then." He wasn't even correct about the foul counts, go figure.

In retrospect, we probably let him carry on too long throughout the game. I'll chalk that one up as a lesson learned. All in all, I feel that I had a good couple of games and my veteran partner was pleased with how I did as well.

The coach's expression tonight was priceless. I'd be lying if I said tonight's post-game Dr. Pepper didn't taste just a bit better than normal. ;)

Back In The Saddle Fri Dec 11, 2009 02:02am

Glad you enjoyed the Dr Pepper. You earned it; you deserve it. :)

grunewar Fri Dec 11, 2009 07:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 641569)
The 7th grade game was a little sloppy but not too bad.

I had 8th and 7th grade girls last night. Final scores 13-9 and 20-8. They simply couldn't shoot. But, I've had worse.

T'd up an 8th grader for unsporting behavior as I called her for a travel and she slammed the ball to the floor and it bouonced 20' in the air. Whack!! She sat on the end of the bench and cried for an entire quarter.......:( But, she redeemd herself by scoring what would eventually be the winning basket (making the score 11-9). The 12/13th points were scored by the opponents making a layup in the wrong basket - now THAT shot she made! :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 641569)
We get ready to start the 8th grade game and we have definitely stepped it up a notch. I'm half tempted to check the drivers license on half of these kids.

Absolutely understand! I am amazed at when I see 14/15 yr old boys who are 6' and have beards! Yikes.

BillyMac Fri Dec 11, 2009 07:36pm

Or Something Like That ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 641617)
She sat on the end of the bench and cried for an entire quarter.

Didn't Tom Hanks say that there's no crying in basketball?

grunewar Fri Dec 11, 2009 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 641847)

Unfortunately a) He wasn't coaching her this particular game, and b) She may be a little young for that movie! ;)

Welpe Fri Dec 11, 2009 09:50pm

Grune, you big meanie! :D

chseagle Fri Dec 11, 2009 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 641847)

A League Of their Own:

"There's no crying in baseball!!"

If there's no crying in basketball, then why do I always see crying when a team loses the state championship game?

grunewar Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:01pm

Billy Knows That.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 641865)
A League Of their Own:

That's why his post is entitled - Or Something Like That ???

grunewar Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 641864)
Grune, you big meanie! :D

I've been called worse!;)

chseagle Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 641866)
That's why his post is entitled - Or Something Like That ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 641865)
A League Of their Own:

If there's no crying in basketball, then why do I always see crying when a team loses the state championship game?

I saw into the joke. Like I stated, if there's no crying basketball, why do I always see the losing teaam crying at the end of the state championship?

Basically in all levels of competition of basketball, from HS all the way up to International/Olympic play & WNBA/NBA, the losing team always has at least one member in tears. Can't they be proud of their own & team achievements to make it that far?

bob jenkins Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 641868)
the losing team always has at least one member in tears. Can't they be proud of their own & team achievements to make it that far?

Yes, I'm sure that's what the tears mean.

Lah me.

mbyron Sat Dec 12, 2009 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 641875)
Yes, I'm sure that's what the tears mean.

Lah me.

You big meanie. :p