The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Bonus or Spot Throw-in

Lasat night. MS 8th grade competitive league. Team B is behind by 3. They score 2pt basket and set up press. 8 seconds left. A1 picks up ball and sets to inbound but ball is deflected by B1 OOB.

Team A now has a spot throw in. A3, while attempting to set screen to free A2 for inbound pass levels B3 while ball is in the air after being released by A1. My whistle. Pushing foul on A3. I look at partner and signal we are going to line for bonus FT.

Team A's coach kind of going nuts - but not in a bad way. Requests a time out because he wants a team foul called - and no FT. However, the throw-in had not ended. After TO, B3 is awarded 2 free thows as is beyond the 10 team foul limit. B3 sinks both and B wins by 1.

Overall a great game - unfortunately the father of B3 was waiting in parking lot for us. You'd think it was game 7 of the NBA finals and Tim Donaghy was officiating.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
However, the throw-in had not ended. (
You got it right, but for the wrong reason. Whether the throw-in had ended is not germaine. Whether there was team control is. (FED rules)
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Lasat night. MS 8th grade competitive league. Team B is behind by 3. They score 2pt basket and set up press. 8 seconds left. A1 picks up ball and sets to inbound but ball is deflected by B1 OOB.

Team A now has a spot throw in. A3, while attempting to set screen to free A2 for inbound pass levels B3 while ball is in the air after being released by A1. My whistle. Pushing foul on A3. I look at partner and signal we are going to line for bonus FT.

Team A's coach kind of going nuts - but not in a bad way. Requests a time out because he wants a team foul called - and no FT. However, the throw-in had not ended. After TO, B3 is awarded 2 free thows as is beyond the 10 team foul limit. B3 sinks both and B wins by 1.

Overall a great game - unfortunately the father of B3 was waiting in parking lot for us. You'd think it was game 7 of the NBA finals and Tim Donaghy was officiating.
Of course it would be a team foul, what else could Coach A be looking for? Or did you intend to type team control foul?

B3's father should have been happy, his son just won the game.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You got it right, but for the wrong reason. Whether the throw-in had ended is not germaine. Whether there was team control is. (FED rules)
These plays may make the BillyMac's misunderstood rules list. I have seen a number of F/JV officials kick this call already this year. They tend to want to call this a TEAM CONTROL foul and not shoot free throws even though no TEAM CONTROL has been established.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Of course it would be a team foul, what else could Coach A be looking for? Or did you intend to type team control foul?

B3's father should have been happy, his son just won the game.
typing too fast today. I realize that it was not a team control foul as there was no team control established at that point. That is the reason we went to the line. I was trying to get the post typed and was being interrupted by colleague and salesman. Also - it was not B3's father it was A3's father who was upset that I could even make a call like I did at that point in the game.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
.....it was A3's father who was upset that I could even make a call like I did at that point in the game.
You mean a correct call? That's typical of a Dad.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Gosh, "let the kids decide the game" Morons.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You got it right, but for the wrong reason. Whether the throw-in had ended is not germaine....
It's not Tito either (I think you meant germane).
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 07:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Things That Make You Go Hmmm" (Arsenio Hall) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
These plays may make the BillyMac's misunderstood rules list.
The Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules list is mostly aimed at players, coaches, and fans. I appreciate your suggestion, but the distinction between a team control foul, and a regular foul, during a throwin, is one that may be misunderstood by some inexperienced officials, but is a little too much for the average player, coach, or fan, to understand, yet, misunderstand. I will consider it, but for now, I don't think that I'll be adding it to the list. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comments would be welcomed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)