The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Question Scorebook before game

Before the JV & C-squad games I do, majority of the time, the home book does not have the roster(s) in the book nor are the starters listed as per NFHS Regulations (10 minutes before the game). Is there anything I can do about it, or is it up to the floor officials to decide whether or not to assess the Administrative Ts?

All this time I've been doing scoreboard/timer & shot clock, I have never seen an Administrative T assessed for this.

Last edited by chseagle; Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 03:44am.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

All that is required is that the rosters and starters be provided by the 10 minute mark. They do not necessary have to be in the book at that point.

Another thing, at least around here, sub-varsity games usually start 10 minutes or less after the previous game is finished, especially if games are running long. We've only really enforced this at the varsity level around here.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:30am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Before the JV & C-squad games I do, majority of the time, the home book does not have the roster(s) in the book nor are the starters listed as per NFSH Regulations (10 minutes before the game). Is there anything I can do about it, or is it up to the floor officials to decide whether or not to assess the Administrative Ts?

All this time I've been doing scoreboard/timer & shot clock, I have never seen an Administrative T assessed for this.
Leave it to the officials. The 10 minute deadline is not an unreasonable rule in theory, but there are circumstances. Sometimes there are less than 10 minutes between games. Sometimes the scorer is not at the table on time. Sometimes the visiting team does not arrive until less than 10 minutes before game time. I have seen an abbreviated high school JV game where they did not even keep a book.

May I suggest you try to contain your excitement at the prospect of an administrative T.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
All that is required is that the rosters and starters be provided by the 10 minute mark. They do not necessary have to be in the book at that point.

Another thing, at least around here, sub-varsity games usually start 10 minutes or less after the previous game is finished, especially if games are running long. We've only really enforced this at the varsity level around here.
Normally between the JV Game & the C-Squad game in the gym I work in, there's the 20 minute warmup. Between the 2 C-Squad games (Boys' C then Girls' C), the Girls' C-Squad coach normally wants 10-15 minute warmup period, so that eeveryone has a chance to watch some of the Varsity game. I was just wondering considering everything I've read & seen is that NFHS wants to rules to be strictly enforced, no matter what the level (the only exception is that non-Varsity home squads don't have to wear White Uniforms). In the main gym, there's always a 20 minute warmup between the games.

Another interesting question, should School-sponsored fundraisers be allowed during halftime on the court? Should people be allowed on the court at halftime (except Dance/Drill teams)?
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Varies!

This usually varies from school to school! Some host school's like using the halftime to wet/dust mop their floor while others just want their floors clear until teams emerge from locker rooms.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:28am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

Another interesting question, 1.should School-sponsored fundraisers be allowed during halftime on the court? 2.Should people be allowed on the court at halftime (except Dance/Drill teams)?
Which is the interesting one?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Before the JV & C-squad games I do, majority of the time, the home book does not have the roster(s) in the book nor are the starters listed as per NFSH Regulations (10 minutes before the game). Is there anything I can do about it, or is it up to the floor officials to decide whether or not to assess the Administrative Ts?

Yes, there are things you can and ought to do about this. You should hunt down both coaches/assistants/whomever and get their rosters before the 10 minute mark. As a deputized member of the officiating crew (truthfully, more like Barney than Andy, but without even a bullet in the pocket), your primary role is to facilitate the smooth running of the game. Being proactive, engaging in a little "dead ball officiating", to ensure that everything is in order and problems are averted is always preferred to simply waiting for the 10 minute mark to arrive to spring a big old "GOTCHA!" on one or both teams.

As for the administrative T, that's up to the referee to enforce or not. Perhaps the reason you have never seen it done is that the officials have simply been instructed not to enforce this at the sub-varsity level.

BTW, just to add to the earlier being proactive and averting problems idea...the referee is required to check the book at the 10 minute mark. But a lot of referees will check it at 12 so there is time to correct any mistakes before you hit the 10 minute mark.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Which is the interesting one?
Actually, consider it a 2 part question.

In the gym I do scoreboard/timer, I've been given the authority to act as crowd control, so during the halftimes in that gym I don't allow anyone on the floor. The only exception to the rule would be a player playing in a game later that evening, however their coach has to be present.

For the past 2 years, during the Varsity Halftimes, at my alma mater, the Spirit Club or FBLA does Soda Shoots to raise money. Unfortunately, the only time the floor gets swept is before the JV Game happening on that floor, other than that no floor sweeps. There's a policy of no soda in the gym, yet they do the Soda Shoots. Last year it kinda nipped them cause at the end of the last Varsity Game a person dropped their soda bottle they won and it sprayed all over the floor.

I can see the drill/dance team doing a routine at halftime, but not allowing anyone on the floor with non-court shoes to shoot baskets. During the Soda Shoots, everyone that participates goes out on the floor & constant reminders are said about no street shoes on the court, yet being ignored.

Last edited by chseagle; Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 03:47am.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

This is entirely a matter for game management to decide and to determine how to enforce. The officiating crew have nothing to do with it, nor do we want to have anything to do with it. You'll need to direct your questions and/or observations about this matter, to them.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, consider it a 2 part question.

In the gym I do scoreboard/timer, I've been given the authority to act as crowd control, so during the halftimes in that gym I don't allow anyone on the floor. The only exception to the rule would be a player playing in a game later that evening, however their coach has to be present.

For the past 2 years, during the Varsity Halftimes, at my alma mater, the Spirit Club or FBLA does Soda Shoots to raise money. Unfortunately, the only time the floor gets swept is before the JV Game happening on that floor, other than that no floor sweeps. There's a policy of no soda in the gym, yet they do the Soda Shoots. Last year it kinda nipped them cause at the end of the last Varsity Game a person dropped their soda bottle they won and it sprayed all over the floor.

I can see the drill/dance team doing a routine at halftime, but not allowing anyone on the floor with non-court shoes to shoot baskets. During the Soda Shoots, everyone that participates goes out on the floor & constant reminders are said about no street shoes on the court, yet being ignored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
This is entirely a matter for game management to decide and to determine how to enforce. The officiating crew have nothing to do with it, nor do we want to have anything to do with it. You'll need to direct your questions and/or observations about this matter, to them.
Concerning the game management, at the site there's two gyms connected to a common hallway, the primary game management is the AD, Principal, & Booster Club President. When I'm not doing scoreboard/timer &/or shot clock, I am crowd control. Needless to say, kinda a full plate for the 5-7 hours I am there.

Like I said up above, in the gym I'm in doing scoreboard/timer I double as crowd control during halftime & between games.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Concerning the game management, at the site there's two gyms connected to a common hallway, the primary game management is the AD, Principal, & Booster Club President. When I'm not doing scoreboard/timer &/or shot clock, I am crowd control. Needless to say, kinda a full plate for the 5-7 hours I am there.

Like I said up above, in the gym I'm in doing scoreboard/timer I double as crowd control during halftime & between games.
Ask the principal and/or AD before the next game. If they want people on the court, let them. If they don't, don't let them.

Pretty simple. People get on college courts non-stop during intermission and halftime. Many high schools have presentations/other games. It just doesn't seem that big a deal to me.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Half time traffic on the court

We (in SC) have been told not to allow the Varsity Boys (or the next game participants, if double header) to shoot around during the half time of the girls varsity game. I have had this a couple of times especially when I officiate teams from out of state. Other than that anything goes during halftime until the 3 minute horn. The officials are in charge during half time. Who would you T up for dunking if it is a Varsity Boy's team member during a Varsity Girls game halftime?
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
We (in SC) have been told not to allow the Varsity Boys (or the next game participants, if double header) to shoot around during the half time of the girls varsity game. I have had this a couple of times especially when I officiate teams from out of state. Other than that anything goes during halftime until the 3 minute horn. The officials are in charge during half time. Who would you T up for dunking if it is a Varsity Boy's team member during a Varsity Girls game halftime?
Nobody. If it's an issue, get a coach or game management to help take care of the issue.