The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rules Interpreters versus IAABO Rules Interpreters

I am looking to identify NFHS rules interpreters for basketball officials associations not linked with IAABO. If anyone is an interpreter, could you send me an email at [email protected] as I am interested in learning more about the training methods being used in other parts of the country.

Thanks.

Last edited by dpicard; Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 01:14pm.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 04:30pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpicard View Post
I am looking to identify NFHS rules interpreters for basketball officials associations not linked with IAABO. If anyone is an interpreter, could you send me an email at [email protected] as I am interested in learning more about the training methods being sued in other parts of the country.

Thanks.

Why may I ask? IAABO Board Interpreters are no different from the interpreter of a local association in any other state. There are no "IAABO" interpretations anymore than there are "local association" interpretations.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Is EMBOA a girls' only basketball officiating board?
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 04:36pm. Reason: Added P.S.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Dan,

You can take a look at this national list of basketball organizations that includes identification of interpreters and some email addresses. Please share any additions with me so that I can update the list. Also, do share the results of your survey of interpreters.

I am the rules interpreter for a Philadelphia PIAA chapter. Most Pennsylvania chapters, including mine, are not IAABO affiliated. Here are 2 positives and one negative regarding PIAA rules related matters.

Positive 1:

Each year, the PIAA provides a detailed guide for suggested rules presentations at chapter meetings.

Positive 2;

During the annual PIAA officials convention, the PIAA runs a full 2-day train the trainer course which focuses on effective rules presentations. Officials from multiple sports attend providing a learning experience in itself.

Negative 1: The PIAA does not require an official to participate in a rules course before taking the NFHS exam. The immediate downside is a high failure rate (around 50%). The longer term downside is that many officials miss an initial opportunity to become well grounded in the rules.

Score one for IAABO. I am also an IAABO member and have found their training for cadets (new officials) to be consistently effective and their camps for newer officials to be outstanding and true to the letter and spirit of NFHS rules.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Why may I ask? IAABO Board Interpreters are no different from the interpreter of a local association in any other state. There are no "IAABO" interpretations anymore than there are "local association" interpretations.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Is EMBOA a girls' only basketball officiating board?
Hi Mark, page 78 of IAABO mechanics manual is different from NFHS manual...IAABO writes their own.

EMBOA is not a girls only board, we don't have differences in Mass. anymore.

I'm just looking for other training ideas.....how other non-IAABO states do it because I'm surrounded by mostly IAABO folks in Massachusetts. Not that I'm against their ideas, just looking for others as theirs are not the only ones and may not always be the best.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
Dan,

You can take a look at this national list of basketball organizations that includes identification of interpreters and some email addresses. Please share any additions with me so that I can update the list. Also, do share the results of your survey of interpreters.

I am the rules interpreter for a Philadelphia PIAA chapter. Most Pennsylvania chapters, including mine, are not IAABO affiliated. Here are 2 positives and one negative regarding PIAA rules related matters.

Positive 1:

Each year, the PIAA provides a detailed guide for suggested rules presentations at chapter meetings.

Positive 2;

During the annual PIAA officials convention, the PIAA runs a full 2-day train the trainer course which focuses on effective rules presentations. Officials from multiple sports attend providing a learning experience in itself.

Negative 1: The PIAA does not require an official to participate in a rules course before taking the NFHS exam. The immediate downside is a high failure rate (around 50%). The longer term downside is that many officials miss an initial opportunity to become well grounded in the rules.

Score one for IAABO. I am also an IAABO member and have found their training for cadets (new officials) to be consistently effective and their camps for newer officials to be outstanding and true to the letter and spirit of NFHS rules.
Thanks for the info. I am also 20+ years with IAABO. Just looking to see what other states do. I hear Texas is very advanced with some training ideas....I'm assuming other states have great ideas too.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpicard View Post
I am interested in learning more about the training methods being sued in other parts of the country.
Some typos are funnier than others.

"Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!"
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Dan, welcome as a participant to the forum. There is a tremendous amount of basketball officiating knowledge here as well as enough strong personalities to keep it interesting. Expect to take some lumps - I'm still taking mine. But if you stick around and get to know us it will be well worth it.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

posting on phillyref

Thanks Wanja, you actually have listed my college clinic on the Philly Ref site for a while, it is The Referee School, Officiating Camp for Officials of Women's Basketball, 3-person Women's CCA instruction, 2-person NF instruction also available.

I often read the forums, haven't posted in a long time but do enjoy being on as much as time allows.

Dan