The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I didn't want to do it. I didn't like doing it. Sigh. I did it.

3 seconds

A2 is in the lane for 3, 4 seconds and starts to leave. Good. He's leaving, I don't have to yell or call anything. Before he leaves the lane, A1 drives just inside the lane and jumps. (A2 is now around 5 seconds in the lane.) But ok, as long as A1 takes that shot, I won't have to call anything.

A1 dumps the ball off to A2 who is point-blank in front of the basket.

Doggonit!

Tweet!
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Good call.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I hate that too LOL..the situation I hate is similar to yours...A2 in the lane weak side for 3+ but like you I see a shot or other action that will keep me from calling it..shot goes up, rebound goes weak side....A2 has it and shoots....so lately, I have been getting them out of there or calling it before the rebound thing and advantage happens..... I did have an opportunity to sit and visit with a coach last nite about various nuances of our avocation...pretty cool, he asked about the when we do and don't call 3 seconds, who is watching where...really kind of neat to get to do that...
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Id have to disagree, 3 seconds is not called enough and as a ref should not try and justify to ourselves why we arent going to call it. Its a rule thats in the rule book therefore we should enforce it. The rule does state that if it is close and the player(has the ball, not a teammate)attempts a shot at like 2 seconds then no call. But too many times coaches can get riled up about the 3 seconds therefore snowballing into other things they can get mad at. All it takes is to call it ONE time early in the game and the players will adapt.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

3 seconds

Did you have to buy a round of beverages for that indiscretion?

Mregor
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Wink

WTOREF:

3 seconds like other calls should be judged as advantage/disadvantage. I have not called 3 seconds in a high school game in at least 2 years (knock on wood). IMHO, if you are call 3 seconds every game you are missing the game.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Carefull!

There are many games where 3 seconds is not called but the games are poorly officiated so just because it is called will not determine the quality of the officiating. We had a good thread on three seconds about a month ago and there was some great discusion on the philosopy behind the three second call. To never call three seconds is probably not the correct interpetation nor is to call it all the time the proper interpetation. The level of play and the situation may determine if it is warranted.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I was, in a round-about way, speaking to focus. If you are watching off ball, in the paint, are looking for 3 seconds? That should not be your primary focus. I focus more on post play, screens and rebounding. If I catch a player camped in the lane, I verbally tell them to get out. If I see a player with a toe over the line, I ignor it. If there is a player who is getting an advantage from camping the lane I call it. I suppose that 'round here high school players do not camp with advantage very much. On the other hand, I call 3 seconds in grade school games with greater frequency.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Did you have to buy a round of beverages for that indiscretion?
No. As a matter of fact, my partner had brought Diet Cokes for after the game. What a guy!!
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

I cannot understand why an official who sees someone in the lane for more then 3 sec would NOT call it? Now, I don't go looking for it but when I see someone in the lane all day, I call it. Heck it's in the rule book.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityRef
I cannot understand why an official who sees someone in the lane for more then 3 sec would NOT call it?

Ah, I'm just lazy, Windy.

Quote:
Heck it's in the rule book.
It sure is. BTW, how many multiple fouls you call this season?
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

If you see a slap on the arm of A1 that is passing to wide open A2 who is going to shoot a wide open lay up - do you call it? Heck it's in the book. Every time that is called 'round here, coaches complain because you 2 points from them.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 03:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

3 seconds

Tweet!
Chuck,
Good off ball work!
Good focus!
mick
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Use advantage/disadvantage. Kid is in the lane 3+ seconds and then sets a screen to free a shooter. Advantage call it.

Kid is in lane 3 + seconds recieves ball for lay-up. Advantage call it.

KId gets off rebound and is stifled by defense for 3+ seconds. Reward good defens call it.

Kid is lost on offense and actually hurting his team and doing nothing constructive. No advantage no whistle.

Kid falls to ground and is laying in lane or fails to clear but is working hard. No advantage no whistle.

IMO useing this trian of thought is good officiating. THe 3 second rule is in the book because it is important as far as advantage/disadvantage. Not to be used as an absolute guideline. Just as the amount of contact we judge to be advantage/disadvantage on a shooter or rebounder.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

MN3:

Good train to be on.