The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Air Horn! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55675-air-horn.html)

chseagle Fri Dec 11, 2009 02:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 641572)
"The home management or game committee is responsible for spectator behavior, insofar as it can reasonably be expected to control the spectators. The officials may call fouls on either team if its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game. Discretion must be used in calling such fouls, however, lest a team be unjustly penalized. When team supporters become unruly or interfere with the orderly progress of the game, the officials shall stop the game until the host management resolves the situation and the game can proceed in an orderly manner. In the absence of a designated school representative, the home coach shall serve as the host management."

If the official is going to impose a technical foul due to the behavior of spectators, it will be a team technical and not assessed to the head coach. But it's almost always better not to go there. Let game management deal with the issue.

So it would be considered an indirect T against the coach?

The official is within his rights to have an announcer removed, but there is no rule that allows the official to whack the head coach for the announcer's behavior.

I've seen it before where the R has stopped the game & asked game management remove a spectator, or the team would forfeit the game, due to the comments the spectator made. However, I hadn't heard/seen of an announcer being asked to leave in a middle of a game for any such behavior until now.

Back In The Saddle Fri Dec 11, 2009 02:14am

No. Not an indirect to the head coach. It would be a team technical.

chseagle Fri Dec 11, 2009 02:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 641580)

Ok, somehow I am not getting the idea of how a team technical would be reported in the scorebook as had never seen it happen, or don't remember it happening

I'm just used to a player technical & the direct or indirect against the coach.

Well at least I'm learning stuff I didn't fully understand :)

chartrusepengui Fri Dec 11, 2009 08:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 641259)
The scorekeeper, timer and shot-clock operator should refrain from yelling during FTs.

you forgot officials!:D

jeschmit Fri Dec 11, 2009 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 641573)
Did the announcer try making up excuses, such as he thought the microphone was off? How many games had he announced at previously?

Was the announcer doing it the whole game or did the announcer get busted after his 1st time?

He was supposedly a substitute announcer, and has only done a handful of games. This was the first time that he said anything into the microphone (see below)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 641573)
If this was a continual happening throughout the game, why didn't game management walk over to him & tell him to stop or he'll be replaced/have to leave? Or the HC walk close to his vacinity & ask/tell him to stop it?

There seems to be some missing variables in this situation.

I did have to warn him at halftime for commenting about the officiating while the game was going on. It wasn't over the loudspeaker, but he was sitting at the table, and his comments were loud enough for me and both benches to hear it. He got a stern warning at halftime, and both of my partners knew of the warning during our halftime talk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 641580)

That's what we called it as.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 11, 2009 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 641566)
Why whack the head coach for a spectator making rude/lewd comments? Why tell a coach they'll have to forfeit the game due to a rude/lewd spectator?

I've seen both happen before. The coach technically isn't in control of the spectators yet they get reprimanded for it.

I don't doubt that youve seen both. But, what you've seen isn't correct.

Quote:

There has to be some NFHS rule/regulation involved concerning the conduct of spectators, cheerleaders, band, dance/drill, and others not on the bench that if not followed that a coach can get penalized for it.
Why does there have to be such a rule?

And, while I have you, the correct usage is "could have", not "could of".

(I don't think you used it in this post, but you frequently use it incorrectly.)