The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9redskin4 View Post
I read an article in "Officials Quarterly" a while back. I don't remember the mans name, but it was written by a long time baseball umpire that works the HS level quite a bit. The article addressed this very thing and as BITS says, it has led to some positive things. The umpire related that coaches, players, officials, and others all respond differently when they know you care enough to remember their name.

I was working a tournament last night and had a few minutes between games. As I was waiting, a team entered the gym that had been to the tournament in prior years and as the coach entered, I said hello and addressed him by his first name. A while later, he came to me and told me thanks for remembering him and I can only assume that good things will come from that if I do one of his games. (like when I blow a call, he won't be quite so upset)
I wouldn't assume this.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Looking at it from a different perspective, whenever a coach decides to remember my first name and uses it the whole game when addressing me, it only irritates me. I feel like half the time he's trying, unsuccessfully, to be my pal, and the other half he's being condescending. No thanks. Don't like it.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Whos On First ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I have enough names to remember in my life, including my partners (which change every game).
Tell me about it. We have 300 members in our local board, and I'm available for games from middle school to high school varsity. Thank God the Arbiter has photos.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fouler And Foulee ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
As someone who takes great pride in being able to simply remember the number of the player I called a foul on from the point of the foul till I report it. I have a terrible memory in general.
I also have a poor memory. One year my goal for the season was to not only remember the number of the fouler, but also the foulee. I can't tell you how many times I reversed them on the way to the reporting area. I gave up my goal by Christmas. Since then, I always catch my partner's eye and point to the foulee. Even that was a hassle because if I looked at the number of the foulee, I still screwed it up on the way to the reporting area. So now I intentionally avoid looking at the foulee's number.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The Mouths Of Babes ...

Many years ago, while working a Catholic middle school game, after a time out, before handing the ball to the inbounder, a little girl in sixth, or seventh grade, I said to her, "Ready sweetheart?", to which she responded, "I'm not your sweetheart". I never did that again, on any level. Never.

Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

The only time I remember a kid's name is when that kid is a superstar and every other article is about them. Other than that, I would not remember my partner's names have the time if I did not see their name on a contract (and it used to be hard when those contracts were paper). So no I do not try to remember kid's names, I call them by number. That is much easier to remember.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Looking at it from a different perspective, whenever a coach decides to remember my first name and uses it the whole game when addressing me, it only irritates me. I feel like half the time he's trying, unsuccessfully, to be my pal, and the other half he's being condescending. No thanks. Don't like it.
Personally I think the coach is trying to be a professional. Its not about being your buddy, its about professional respect. In your profession, do you care less about knowing any of the names of your coworkers?

I'm a big fan of knowing as many names as I can possibly retain, even my security rep and the people who work for him, table staff as well granted its not always possible because its just so many names!
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I feel that way, mostly. My very first ever real game (had done a couple scrimmages), the coach kept referring to me by name. Hollering my name across the floor. I was so clueless about my own job, that I mostly had no clue what he was saying. I really didn't understand the points he was trying to make, so I just ignored him. But it got under my skin. It really felt like he was "working" me, which he was, but not by what he said, just by the fact that he was using my name. I'm with Smitty, I don't like it.

And, hey Smitty, how are you? I'm back for reals this year, and missing you.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Personally I think the coach is trying to be a professional. Its not about being your buddy, its about professional respect. In your profession, do you care less about knowing any of the names of your coworkers?

I'm a big fan of knowing as many names as I can possibly retain, even my security rep and the people who work for him, table staff as well granted its not always possible because its just so many names!

I'd rather know the names of the security folks and table personnel than the coaches and players.

As far as professionalism being the reason that coaches want to know my name, I don't buy into that personally. Out of all the high school coaches in our jurisdiction only 2 know my name, one because he can't stand me and one because he used to be an associate member of the board and he's just a really nice guy. I have coaches who smile and shake my hand sincerely every time I work their games and they have no idea what my name is.

As far as players, if I'm going to call one player by his name then I feel I should be calling all players by their name. That's just my personal philosphy. To each his own I say.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Dec 06, 2009 at 08:20pm.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:54pm
9 times

Quote:
Totally disagree. Same principle...you get better response with a name. If you don't want a coach using your name, let the coach know to address you differently.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019