The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I'm trying to decipher the various types of fouls. Please correct me if I am wrong or offer condolences for my ignorance.

At the highest level there are two types of fouls: Personal and Technical.

A personal foul may be any one of the following: common, intentional, flagrant, or player-control. A personal foul is called during a live ball.

A single technical foul may have one or more of the following qualities: administrative, unsportsmanlike, intentional, flagrant, direct, or indirect. A technical foul is not restricted to live or dead ball and may be called at any time.

Both of these are considered team fouls - although there is no other kind of foul besdies team foul. All fouls are considered team fouls in NFHS rules.

More than one foul goes by several different names depending upon who committed it and when each one was committed: double, false double, simultaneous technical, multiple, or false multiple fouls.

A double foul can be either personal (during a live ball) or technical (anytime) and are committed by two opponents against each other at approximately the same time.

A false double starts as a single foul yet a second foul is committed (after a time delay from the first foul) before the clock has started following administration of the first foul. For example, when shooting the first of a bonus, there is a foul during positioning for the rebound, and the shot is successful (clock never starts).

A simultaneous technical is technical fouls by both teams at approximately the same time but not between two opponents (therefore not a double foul).

A multiple foul is more than one teammate fouling a single opponent at the same time. Rarely if ever see this one called - why confuse yourself? Suggest seeing and calling only one foul unless there is obvious intent and then call the intentional foul.

A false multiple combines the qualities of a false double and a multiple foul. After beginning the administration of a foul, a second foul is committed with either the initial or the second foul being a multiple foul - now I'm way confused.

I have never seen a multiple foul called but there have been some discussions in this forum, where it would probably be the correct call to make. If nothing else it would dumbfound the coaches so they might be quite.

Has this been a correct dissertation of the foul type confusion?

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Oct 28th, 2002 at 04:55 PM]
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

And i thought this thread was going to be about Ducks and geese!
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AK ref SE
And i thought this thread was going to be about Ducks and geese!
Foul names? I was thinking something more along the lines of our "list of things to getcha T's" topic . . .
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Looks about right, Tony, except that I think there's a new simultaneous personal foul category this year (similar definition to simultaneous technicals).

BTW, a multiple foul is never the correct call!
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

You are correct Sir!

Thanks Mark.

Simultaneous fouls have been extended to inlcude both technical and personal (and hence lost the "technical" modifier to be called just simulataneous fouls).