The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

In Georgia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Agreed. Would not be a happy parent or player if my game was dismissed as meaningless.

What are they worried about? Certainly nothing to do with overtime pay.
We have a similar rule, but it only applies to games played on a night when they have school the next morning. Remember, this is "extra curricular" activity. They are students. I'd rather have my kid at home at a decent time to complete any unfinished homework. Also, we don't have sub-varsity state championships, so we can end the game without effecting their placement in the regional tournament.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
We've been instructed here that if a varsity contest is scheduled after a sub-varsity contest, the varsity contest must start on time. We are to end the sub-varsity contest regardless at least 15 minutes before the schedules start of the varsity contest.

If there is still game time on the clock, the game is declared over with the team leading the winner. If the score is tied as that 15 minute mark nears, first team to score wins.

Haven't had to do that yet, and hope I don't have to. But at least no 3-hour JV games this year...
With OTs happening so infrequently, I wouldn't be fan of this policy.

Interestedly, saw a freshmen game go into 4OTs earlier in the season. To make matters worse, 2 of the 3 varsity officials were doing this game (I think it's the only time I've seen the varsity officials do a freshmen game beforehand). After the third OT, both coaches agreed to shorten the fourth one to two minutes. Varsity game was delayed by 45 minutes which gave those waiting for the varsity game an oppturnity to watch some of the freshmen game. I guarantee it was the most fans they ever had attend any of their games.

Afterward, better believe the other varsity official and I gave those other two a hard time.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
We have a similar rule, but it only applies to games played on a night when they have school the next morning. Remember, this is "extra curricular" activity. They are students. I'd rather have my kid at home at a decent time to complete any unfinished homework. Also, we don't have sub-varsity state championships, so we can end the game without effecting their placement in the regional tournament.
Hogwash. Again these are high school kids. I's nothing about the kids. No matter the level, frosh, soph, JV, varsity etc the kids are putting in tons of hard work in practice not to mention their time investment. Schools are investing thousands of dollars in transportation, coaches, workers, officials, etc and drive miles to play a game and we can't stay a few extra minutes to see it to completion? REALLY! We talking about the difference (as an example) of getting home at 9:45 instead of 9:30 REALLY! We're not talking a extra hour or more. The ones that care about their studies will see that end thru no matter what. That is part of the sacrifice to play athletics.

So what they don't play in a state championship? The kids don't want to see the fruits of their labor arbitrarily shorten because admins don't want to be there. And that is what a rule like that is truly about. Because if you think it's about the kids I have a bridge to sell you.

Last edited by eyezen; Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 12:05pm.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

It must have been a great game - but in reference to shooting it out from FT line - this could be a great disadvantage to one team. Say, perhaps that team A, as a team shoots 85% from the line but team B shoots 36% from the line. This solution is not fair to team B, who has hung in game despite rotten FT shooting. Why not a 3pt competition, or half court. Same answer. Let them play it out. I mean, really, how often does this really happen? Let the teams and game decide a great contest like this.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by offici88 View Post
My first varsity game of the year ended after 4 OTs.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

I had a 4-OT boys' JV game last year. It's in this thread: Longest Game!

Last edited by A Pennsylvania Coach; Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 03:45pm.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Hogwash. Again these are high school kids. I's nothing about the kids. No matter the level, frosh, soph, JV, varsity etc the kids are putting in tons of hard work in practice not to mention their time investment. Schools are investing thousands of dollars in transportation, coaches, workers, officials, etc and drive miles to play a game and we can't stay a few extra minutes to see it to completion? REALLY! We talking about the difference (as an example) of getting home at 9:45 instead of 9:30 REALLY! We're not talking a extra hour or more. The ones that care about their studies will see that end thru no matter what. That is part of the sacrifice to play athletics.

So what they don't play in a state championship? The kids don't want to see the fruits of their labor arbitrarily shorten because admins don't want to be there. And that is what a rule like that is truly about. Because if you think it's about the kids I have a bridge to sell you.
I don't necessarily like it, but I understand it. Schools here are short on budgets, short on staff, and under a lot of pressure. There are rules about the latest games can start so that they can manage the ending times. This is part of the deal.

I'm guessing it won't happen more than a time or two in our district, as most of our schools don't play sub-V games before V games.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post

At best it adds an extra 20 minutes. OT's for Soph games up here are 3:30 minutes.

Let me ask you this, do they end the Varsity game should it go 3-4 OT's?
Remember, this is only an "extra curricular activity". And you do want your kid home to finish his homework.

As Eyezen said, it's certainly not abouthe kids. Sounds like school admins who are assigned clock and other duties who can't wait to get out of there.

Shame on your state!

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 06:10pm.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

He Would Be So Proud ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Tie game; I call a foul on a missed layup with 0.2 seconds to go, sending a shooter to the line to win the game by 1. Whew, that was a close one!
Mark Padgett would give you a kiss, on the lips.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wait Until The Department Of Labor Hears About This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Certainly nothing to do with overtime pay.
You mean we don't get overtime for overtime?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 09:08pm.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nothing Like Waiting In Line For Your Turn ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by offici88 View Post
A game of lightning.
That's the first reference to "lightning" that I've ever seen on this Forum. Oh, to be young again.

Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That's the first reference to "lightning" that I've ever seen on this Forum. Oh, to be young again.
We always called it Knockout
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
That's what we called it also.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 07:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. (Billy Shakespeare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That's what we called it also.
It goes by both names here in the Constitution State.

Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 10:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
The JV game I worked last night went 3 OTs. We didn't get done with the varsity until 9:30....home at 10:30. It was a long night.
At least you had only yourselves to blame.