The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 10:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I guess I don't really know why I ask for a speaking captain. Probably because everyone else around here does it. Is it really all that necessary?
The official's manual specifies that you confirm with a captain that the team is ready for the opening jump.

I still do this. I've been doing it for 23 years now and it's the only real link to the past I have since everything else has changed (it seems).
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The official's manual specifies that you confirm with a captain that the team is ready for the opening jump.

I still do this. I've been doing it for 23 years now and it's the only real link to the past I have since everything else has changed (it seems).
Does that require a speaking captain? Any captain should be able to do this. I don't ask anyone if they're ready for the jump. I never ask for a speaking captain. I also rarely remember who the captains are once that little meeting is over. If I need a captain during the game, I ask for one.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Does that require a speaking captain? Any captain should be able to do this. I don't ask anyone if they're ready for the jump. I never ask for a speaking captain. I also rarely remember who the captains are once that little meeting is over. If I need a captain during the game, I ask for one.

"Any captain?" There can be only one. 3-1

NCAA AR41 gives additional information, that I tend to follow in HS games.

Note that none of this prohibits an official from speaking to anyone who is polite.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

The rules only require us to notify the captains: "The officials shall conduct the game in accordance with the rules. This includes:
ART. 1. . . Notifying the captains when play is about to begin at the start of the game." (NFHS 2-7-1)

Although the requirement for notification would logically imply this is an opportunity for the captain to ask us to hold on.

BTW, if I'm going to be taken to task over calling the end line "the baseline"...where would I find "speaking captain" anywhere in the literature?
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Freddy Has Obviously Been Around The Block A Few Times ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Don't say . . .
> "OK, tonight we're gonna play the black line all-the-way-around..."
> "Do any of your players have contacts?"
> "Which one of you is the speaking captain?"
> "Do you have any questions about the rules?"
> "Here's the points of emphasis that are new this year..."
> "Don't get caught reaching...play defense with your feet"
Freddy: Good list. How about, regarding speaking captains, "What's your number?" if they have a warmup on?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Threats

My partner's pregame coaches/captains meeting the other night:

"Ok guys, we're gonna let you play as hard as you want, but if it gets out of control, we're gonna go to Plan B? You know what I mean? Ok, lets go!"

For your reference, no, we did not discuss any Plan B in our pregame meeting.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
My partner's pregame coaches/captains meeting the other night:

"Ok guys, we're gonna let you play as hard as you want, but if it gets out of control, we're gonna go to Plan B? You know what I mean? Ok, lets go!"

For your reference, no, we did not discuss any Plan B in our pregame meeting.

Yikes! I think I might ask that guy why he said that. Was a new or a veteran?
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Girls game the other night. I was the U2. In the pregame the R told us that we weren't going to do several of the mechanics by the book, but instead were going to do certain things in such and such a way. When I asked him why, he said because that's what he wanted to do.

So at the captains meeting after listening to an insanely long-winded and pointless speech by the R, he asked if I had anything to add and I replied, "Yes, girls please remember that I have absolutely no responsibility here tonight whatsoever. Have a nice game."

The U1 almost split his pants.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Girls game the other night. I was the U2. In the pregame the R told us that we weren't going to do several of the mechanics by the book, but instead were going to do certain things in such and such a way. When I asked him why, he said because that's what he wanted to do.

So at the captains meeting after listening to an insanely long-winded and pointless speech by the R, he asked if I had anything to add and I replied, "Yes, girls please remember that I have absolutely no responsibility here tonight whatsoever. Have a nice game."

The U1 almost split his pants.
WTF???

I might just leave them to a 2 man mechanic game. That would never fly here in Ohio
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post

I've heard this from veterans in the captains' meeting as well as our pregame. The first time I heard it, I cringed. I couldn't believe that would even be an option. Of course the same official also told me to never "fish in his pond, even if you see something that doesn't match my call. I see it all and I'm calling or not calling for a reason."

Safe to say, I don't/won't work with him again.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Vet by Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post

More of a veteran by age than by knowledge, mechanics or experience.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offici88 View Post
I've heard this from veterans in the captains' meeting as well as our pregame. The first time I heard it, I cringed. I couldn't believe that would even be an option. Of course the same official also told me to never "fish in his pond, even if you see something that doesn't match my call. I see it all and I'm calling or not calling for a reason."

Safe to say, I don't/won't work with him again.
That part is awesome! Haha. I wonder why you were even on the court...That official is ready to move up to 1-person mechnics!

Yeah, we aren't able to block partners, but I have seen worse and I just hopefully won't have to work with him again.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thought of this thread as I was talking to a friend official this morning who had a game Friday night and R literally took almost 3 minutes. He said coaches were visibly annoyed and boys' eyes were glazed over.

Friend was tempted to add a few comments when asked by R , "anything?"
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Thought of this thread as I was talking to a friend official this morning who had a game Friday night and R literally took almost 3 minutes. He said coaches were visibly annoyed and boys' eyes were glazed over.

Friend was tempted to add a few comments when asked by R , "anything?"
The captains stopped listening about 180 seconds before R ended.

I have worked with a couple guys over the years who like to add things like "Hand-checking is a pet peeve of mine as is palming the ball." When they start the speech that way, I typically "add" that while my partner will be calling those two pages of the Rules Book, I will be attempting to enforce the rules covered in the other 94 pages along with those two.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

College Captains meeting from a long time Veteran of many conferences...

To Visiting Team: "Yall got any any freshman"
Visiting Team Captain: "uh, yeah".

To Home Team: "Do ya'll have any freshman"
Home Team Captain: " yes sir"

Referee: "Don't let' em "F" up the game".

(meeting adjourned)