The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question

When you are designated as the R, what is your pregame speech? This could get lengthy, but I'm interested! I hear so many ones that are TOO long. I try to keep my as short and concise as possible. The players hardly ever remember what you say anyway, plus, the coaches don't really want to be involved in the whole ordeal. Here's mine:

"Coaches, I need to know a few things before we get started tonight (or this afternoon). One, are you players properly equipped?" [They answer (usually, either 'Yes.' or 'As far as I know.')] "Two, who will be calling your TO's?" [They answer with either myself or my assistant right there (they'll point to the informing assistant.)] (Note: I realize the coach will be calling the TO, but I want to know if he or an assistant will be clarifying a 30 or full so I know who to look at on my way to reporting to the bench.) [Once they answer, I ask them to be sure to let the officials know ASAP whether it will be a 30 or a full. Next, I usually throw in a point of emphasis for the year...this year usually about the new bench decorum or no yelling of 'Foul, foul, foul..' at the end of a close game.] Then I ask, "Coaches, are there any questions we can answer for you?" [They always have none...and by now they're looking rather bored!]

Next, I address the players:
"How are you guys (or girls) tonight (or this afternoon)?" [They always say, 'Fine.' or 'Okay.'] Then, "Your coaches have made you the captains of your teams because he believes you are the leaders of your team. Is that right?" [That usually draws a smile...kind of like, 'Oh really, the coach must be crazy then!'] I continue, "Well, because you are the captains of your respective teams, my partner & I need your help tonight. We need you to help us out with sportsmanship. We need you to set good examples of sportsmanship. If things start to get out of hand, we need you to step up and take control of your teams. My partner & I don't want to have to do it. We want you to. To help you out, please feel free to come and talk to us anytime you need to. We'll come talk to you anytime we need to. When we talk, please listen to us. Okay?" [This usually draws a nod from some or all of the captains.] Then, "Partner, do you want to add anything?" [He usually doesn't.] Then, "Who will be my speaking captain?" [One from each team usually lifts up his/her jersey to show us the number.] Finally I say, "Okay, wish each other good luck and let's have a good game!"
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

My goal is to keep the speil under 30 seconds.

1st I remind everyone about sportsmanship
2nd If there are any stange lines, or other court specific things I point it out. (There is one gym here where the volleyball lines are within 6 inches of the end line. There are always kids in every game who get confused, some refs too.)
3rd I remind all of the players on the POE
4th I ask the coaches if their players are legally equipped
5th I ask if there are any questions

Then I let them go.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Good evening, I am Mr ...., this is MR.... and Mr...
we are your officials for tonight.

Coaches are your player legally equiped and will remain so throughout the contest? Coaches you are reminded that all participants are expected to conduct themselves in a sportsman like manner throughout the contest.

Who are my speaking captains?

Captains help us out tonight by reminding your team mates to tuck in shirts during the game. If you see one of your players getting frustrated or out of hand take care of it
so we don't have to.

Any questions?

Good Luck.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 01:20pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by PAULK1

Coaches are your player legally equiped and will remain so throughout the contest? Coaches you are reminded that all participants are expected to conduct themselves in a sportsman like manner throughout the contest.

Captains help us out tonight by reminding your team mates to tuck in shirts during the game. If you see one of your players getting frustrated or out of hand take care of it
so we don't have to.

Any questions?

Good Luck.
Works for me, Paul.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Wow, VERY QUICK!!

Quote:

so we don't have to.

Any questions?

Good Luck.
Quick, to the point, and VERY short! Don't think I've ever heard one that short! Maybe I'll change mine!
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Don't "cop out", Mick...

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

so we don't have to.

Any questions?

Good Luck.
Works for me, Paul.
Come on, Mick! Don't "cop out" on me now! Share yours!
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 02:59pm
Suppref

At about the 3 minute mark I call for the captains, I introduce myself and my partner, ask who the speaking captains are, and tell them that our board of officials is always looking for referees....but not TONIGHT!! Just kidding!!! Then I tell them these four things:

Keep the shirts tucked in
Keep the post play clean
Watch the hand checks and
Put the ball in the basket.

that usually gets a little smile from the players, then I say "My partner and I are going to have fun tonight so, you have fun too!!

Then off to the coaches for the equipment/sportsmanship chat. By that time there is about 20 seconds left, intrductions, National Anthem, then game time.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Sup-

Did your state do away with the 12 minute rule?
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wink pre-game speech

I too agree with paulk that is very close to my speech.One thing I would like to throw out there is don't do the this is what were calling tonight.I have had partners before say were going call hand checking very close tonight or some other p.o.e.Does this get better rule conformity? No without fail it gets a night of the coaches saying why didn't you call hand checking on the other team you said you would.From what I read here sounds like everyone is on pretty much the same page.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation We go over even earlier..

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Sup-

Brian,

We go over even earlier if it looks as though the coaches are chatting together and it is a good opportunity to take care of the pregame sooner.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Mine is almost the same as Suppref, short sweet and to the point. I never listened when the ref was talking to me, so I try to keep that in mind.

I focus on good defense and good sportsmanship. I need to add the part about the uniforms.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 03:27pm
Suppref

Sup-

Brian, 12 minute rule?

We take the floor 15 minutes before game time check the book at 10 minutes, check out the crowd for 7 minutes, KIDDING!! then at 3 minutes go for it.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
A lot of good points, Guys!

One thing I'd like to share is this. I start my pregame with the following:

"Captains, you have been chosen to be captains because you are leaders. I expect you to be leaders tonight too. If one of your teammates gets out of line, I want you to take care of it so we don't have to."

I think this challenges these young folks to "step up" and control their team. It makes for a much easier ball game to work.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

The best pregame I ever heard of was done during an ncaa regional final. Bobby McCroy doing his first ncaa tournament was excited to be working with Mr. Hightower on the crew. Bobby could'nt wait to see how these high powered ncaa guys conducted pregame. Hightower walks in to the officials room and says "okay don't f*#$ up." That to me is a little short but Bobby said he got the point.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 06:44pm
In Memoriam

Re: Don't

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

so we don't have to.

Any questions?

Good Luck.
Works for me, Paul.
Come on, Mick! Don't "cop out" on me now! Share yours!
Casey,
Paul has mine almost verbatim.
I don't use the part about tucking in the shirts. or any other rules.
I also have a very short Plate meeting.
The Players assume I know the rules.
I assume the players know the rules.
mick