The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   whats the best captains speech that you have heard?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55643-whats-best-captains-speech-you-have-heard.html)

Nagy0716 Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:43pm

whats the best captains speech that you have heard??

for college and high school

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 03, 2009 01:01pm

Hi, I'm Larry. This is my brother Darryl. This is my other brother Darryl.

tjones1 Thu Dec 03, 2009 01:10pm

The best ones are always short and to the point. Cover the necessary points from your state office and/or supervisor then move on.

The worst ones usually start off with: "Ok, as you can see we are going to play the solid [insert color] around the floor...."

APG Thu Dec 03, 2009 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 639380)
The best ones are always short and to the point. Cover the necessary points from your state office and/or supervisor then move on.

The worst ones usually start off with: "Ok, as you can see we are going to play the solid [insert color] around the floor...."

I agree. Short and to the point. You start giving this great speech, and I guarantee most of it will fall on deaf ears.

Berkut Thu Dec 03, 2009 02:05pm

I try to give them Hope, and promise Change.

Ignats75 Thu Dec 03, 2009 02:11pm

[Ladies or Gentlemen] You've been selected as catains due to your leadership ability. You know who your hot heads are. If you take control of them, we don't have to. I have three rules to basketball. Respect the game. Respect your opponent. Respect the officials. Good Luck.

Depending on the situation I might end with (for girls) "and don't hang on the rim when you dunk."

Depending on the situation I might end with (for boys) "if you run into the cheerleaders, keep your hands down."

Adam Thu Dec 03, 2009 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 639388)
I agree. Short and to the point. You start giving this great speech, and I guarantee most of it will fall on deaf ears.

Had a partner give the whole lines, speaking captains, etc. I nodded off before he could ask if I had anything to add.

Ignats75 Thu Dec 03, 2009 02:16pm

I don't even ask for speaking cpatains. I want everyone there to work for me. And if its done respectfully, I'll answer any player's question.

chartrusepengui Thu Dec 03, 2009 02:24pm

Hey guys/gals. Introduce yourselves. Remember the state's emphasis on sportmanship. Any questions? Let's all have fun tongiht!

Scratch85 Thu Dec 03, 2009 02:35pm

As told to me

Ref: "Are both teams legally uniformed and properly equipped?"

Coach: "No, number 14 (coach's star player) isn't properly equipped."

Ref: "Whats wrong?"

Coach: "He has no balls!"

iiicream Thu Dec 03, 2009 03:12pm

In Florida, we had a state approved card to read from. At a Boys Varisty contest between 2 rival schools I pulled out a card and began, "Gentlemen, you have the right to remain silent..." Put the card back in my pocket and said, "I'm sorry, wrong card."

26 Year Gap Thu Dec 03, 2009 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiicream (Post 639414)
In Florida, we had a state approved card to read from. At a Boys Varisty contest between 2 rival schools I pulled out a card and began, "Gentlemen, you have the right to remain silent..." Put the card back in my pocket and said, "I'm sorry, wrong card."

I always forget that card in the changing area. The intros usually take longer than the conference itself.

rockyroad Thu Dec 03, 2009 03:49pm

Years ago we had a travelling team from the Rio de Janeiro area come through - all 16-18 year old kids - and they played a couple of the HS teams in this area...we got about 5 inches of snow over the days before they came in (that's a lot for us). So at captains meeting before the game, the R says this:

"Gentlemen, nice to meet you. I have one question for the visitors: Who won the snowball fight last night?"

Took about 5 seconds before they started smiling and telling us all about it - kids vs. the coaches, kids claimed they won, etc., etc...

Best captain's conference I have ever been involved with.

refprof Thu Dec 03, 2009 04:59pm

Hi. I am Dewey, this is Cheatem and Howe.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 03, 2009 05:04pm

Ok, guys, look if you don't foul or commit any violations tonight, then we can get this game over with very quickly and all go get laid.