The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 04:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Weird new info in coach DUI case

Things just get stranger and stranger in the David Adelman case.

Private eye hired by parent at center of Lincoln High coach's trial | Steve Duin - – OregonLive.com
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 09:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

This was the lead story on the local 6:00 news here in Portland. Gee - maybe I shouldn't have given him that technical back when he was in 5th grade.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post

Pretty slimey on the part of the parents.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

That is amazing. Hey Pop, maybe your kid just sucks at basketball!

The Supreme Court just ruled on a similar case that the cops must see the poor driving to pull the driver over. A caller's tip not enough. Considering why there was a call to 911 in the first place, I can see this getting tossed.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Some parents have too much money
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 03:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
The Supreme Court just ruled on a similar case that the cops must see the poor driving to pull the driver over.
No, it didn't. It refused to hear an appeal in which the Virginia Supreme Court ruled as such. SCOTUS has consistently ruled that reasonable suspicion (not probable cause, to which the article keeps referring) is the threshold for TLE stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
A caller's tip not enough. Considering why there was a call to 911 in the first place, I can see this getting tossed.
No, it won't. Even if the tip comes from an illegal or immoral action on the part of the tipper, unless the tipper was acting under the color of law, the tip is not presumed invalid.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
It's all so , so, Northern Cal like.

My favorite reader quote was calling the cops if your neighbor is using drugs.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 10:54am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
No, it won't. Even if the tip comes from an illegal or immoral action on the part of the tipper, unless the tipper was acting under the color of law, the tip is not presumed invalid.
Not all private investigators practice under the color of the law. There are rogue ones out there whose actions have been thrown out of court because they were not certified by the state to work as private investigators.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 11:56am
Esteemed Participant

I think maybe some of you guys are missing the point. These parents went through the proper channels - they went to the AD, the Principal, the school board - not because their kid wasn't "getting playing time", but because the coach was and is a known alcoholic who gets behind the wheel of his car drunk on a regular basis. When the school - which has a pretty interesting line of these kinds of problems - wouldn't do anything about it, the parents took steps.

Do I agree with the parents - no, not really. But I can understand why they did it. Would any of you want this clown coaching your kids, telling them that if they break the rules on drinking they will get kicked off the team?
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Not all private investigators practice under the color of the law. There are rogue ones out there whose actions have been thrown out of court because they were not certified by the state to work as private investigators.
NO private investigators work under color of law. If they did, they would not be private.

"Color of law" refers to the public trust placed in sworn officials to uphold the law. PIs, by definition, operate outside of it.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 07:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

To Russia With Love ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
There are rogue ones out there whose actions have been thrown out of court because they were not certified by the state.
Like this one ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 25, 2009 at 09:44pm.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

I just like the part where Rick Adelman comes in and tells parents to leave his little baby alone. I mean, I'd think Junior would be humiliated and tell his dad, "Back off!" Too weird.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

My dad can beat up your dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I just like the part where Rick Adelman comes in and tells parents to leave his little baby alone. I mean, I'd think Junior would be humiliated and tell his dad, "Back off!" Too weird.
I thought that too.... It's a special irony that the method of countering unreasonable parent involvement is to send your dad over to talk to them!
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 01:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
This is off topic, but years ago, I had a conversation with Rick Adelman when he was the Blazer coach. David was participating in our rec league no-cut tryouts and Rick was observing. At this particular session, there were about 200 kids on the court. I went over to Rick and said, "This has got to be your worst nightmare." He said, "What do you mean?" I replied, "200 players, and they're all unrestricted free agents!" He chuckled and said, "Yeah, that would be a nightmare, all right."