The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Weird new info in coach DUI case (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55538-weird-new-info-coach-dui-case.html)

Mark Padgett Tue Nov 24, 2009 04:04pm

Weird new info in coach DUI case

Things just get stranger and stranger in the David Adelman case.

Private eye hired by parent at center of Lincoln High coach's trial | Steve Duin - – OregonLive.com

Mark Padgett Tue Nov 24, 2009 09:19pm

This was the lead story on the local 6:00 news here in Portland. Gee - maybe I shouldn't have given him that technical back when he was in 5th grade. :eek:

fullor30 Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 638064)

Pretty slimey on the part of the parents.

ODJ Wed Nov 25, 2009 01:18am

That is amazing. Hey Pop, maybe your kid just sucks at basketball!

The Supreme Court just ruled on a similar case that the cops must see the poor driving to pull the driver over. A caller's tip not enough. Considering why there was a call to 911 in the first place, I can see this getting tossed.

budjones05 Wed Nov 25, 2009 02:38am

Some parents have too much money

Matt Wed Nov 25, 2009 03:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ (Post 638116)
The Supreme Court just ruled on a similar case that the cops must see the poor driving to pull the driver over.

No, it didn't. It refused to hear an appeal in which the Virginia Supreme Court ruled as such. SCOTUS has consistently ruled that reasonable suspicion (not probable cause, to which the article keeps referring) is the threshold for TLE stops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ (Post 638116)
A caller's tip not enough. Considering why there was a call to 911 in the first place, I can see this getting tossed.

No, it won't. Even if the tip comes from an illegal or immoral action on the part of the tipper, unless the tipper was acting under the color of law, the tip is not presumed invalid.

Chess Ref Wed Nov 25, 2009 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 638064)

It's all so , so, Northern Cal like.

My favorite reader quote was calling the cops if your neighbor is using drugs.

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 638123)
No, it won't. Even if the tip comes from an illegal or immoral action on the part of the tipper, unless the tipper was acting under the color of law, the tip is not presumed invalid.

Not all private investigators practice under the color of the law. There are rogue ones out there whose actions have been thrown out of court because they were not certified by the state to work as private investigators.

rockyroad Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:56am

I think maybe some of you guys are missing the point. These parents went through the proper channels - they went to the AD, the Principal, the school board - not because their kid wasn't "getting playing time", but because the coach was and is a known alcoholic who gets behind the wheel of his car drunk on a regular basis. When the school - which has a pretty interesting line of these kinds of problems - wouldn't do anything about it, the parents took steps.

Do I agree with the parents - no, not really. But I can understand why they did it. Would any of you want this clown coaching your kids, telling them that if they break the rules on drinking they will get kicked off the team?

Matt Wed Nov 25, 2009 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 638148)
Not all private investigators practice under the color of the law. There are rogue ones out there whose actions have been thrown out of court because they were not certified by the state to work as private investigators.

NO private investigators work under color of law. If they did, they would not be private.

"Color of law" refers to the public trust placed in sworn officials to uphold the law. PIs, by definition, operate outside of it.

BillyMac Wed Nov 25, 2009 07:55pm

To Russia With Love ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 638148)
There are rogue ones out there whose actions have been thrown out of court because they were not certified by the state.

Like this one ...

http://thm-a01.yimg.com/image/01d7bc4a2ab01de6

Juulie Downs Wed Nov 25, 2009 09:16pm

I just like the part where Rick Adelman comes in and tells parents to leave his little baby alone. I mean, I'd think Junior would be humiliated and tell his dad, "Back off!" Too weird.

JoeT Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:50am

My dad can beat up your dad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 638232)
I just like the part where Rick Adelman comes in and tells parents to leave his little baby alone. I mean, I'd think Junior would be humiliated and tell his dad, "Back off!" Too weird.

I thought that too.... It's a special irony that the method of countering unreasonable parent involvement is to send your dad over to talk to them!

Mark Padgett Sat Nov 28, 2009 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 638232)

This is off topic, but years ago, I had a conversation with Rick Adelman when he was the Blazer coach. David was participating in our rec league no-cut tryouts and Rick was observing. At this particular session, there were about 200 kids on the court. I went over to Rick and said, "This has got to be your worst nightmare." He said, "What do you mean?" I replied, "200 players, and they're all unrestricted free agents!" He chuckled and said, "Yeah, that would be a nightmare, all right."