The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

New NFHS mechanic question

Might sound like a stupid question, but here goes anyway. Does the trail (soon to be lead) mirror the chop signal of the lead (soon to be trail) after all made FT's? The official's manual (OM) mentions the chop in the frontcourt on all endline throw-ins, but the OM doesn't mention the mirrored chop for the trail (soon to be lead) on a made FT, or am I missing something? I'm referring to three man mechanics of course.

Last edited by Pirate; Mon Nov 23, 2009 at 10:21pm.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Might sound like a stupid question, but here goes anyway. Does the trail (soon to be lead) mirror the chop signal of the lead (soon to be trail) after all made FT's? The official's manual (OM) mentions the chop in the frontcourt on all endline throw-ins, but the OM doesn't mention the mirrored chop for the trail (soon to be lead) on a made FT, or am I missing something? I'm referring to three man mechanics of course.
No the new mechanic is only for when the offensive team has a throw-in from OOB adjacent to their frontcourt. The situation you describe has the team having a throw-in from OOB along its backcourt end line.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
No the new mechanic is only for when the offensive team has a throw-in from OOB adjacent to their frontcourt. The situation you describe has the team having a throw-in from OOB along its backcourt end line.
Agreed, at least that's the way I read it. Just wondering what the NFHS is thinking here though. Obviously they wanted to make it easier for the table to see the chop from the lead on a frontcourt throw-in, so I'm wondering why they wouldn't want the same from an endline throw-in from the backcourt?
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

My thoughts: The end line throw-in in front court concentrates all 10 players and all officials in the front court. It can get pretty packed in and be difficult to see. A throw-in after a made free throw is generally not that way, even when the defense is pressing.

The end line throw-in in front court has the T focused on the players in front of him, and toward the end line. The throw-in after a made free throw has the old T, new L focused on the first wave of players going down court, and facing away from the throw-in.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
My thoughts: The end line throw-in in front court concentrates all 10 players and all officials in the front court. It can get pretty packed in and be difficult to see. A throw-in after a made free throw is generally not that way, even when the defense is pressing.
Agreed.

Quote:
The end line throw-in in front court has the T focused on the players in front of him, and toward the end line. The throw-in after a made free throw has the old T, new L focused on the first wave of players going down court, and facing away from the throw-in.
Also agree. Thanks guys, just wanted someone more competent than myself to confirm the reasoning behind the frontcourt mechanic but not the backcourt mechanic.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Makes no difference to me, we're not doing it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Makes no difference to me, we're not doing it.
Why not?

Our game tonight, we forgot. But the uniforms were legal!!
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 07:32am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Our game tonight, we forgot.
We pregame this new mechanic every scrimmage (I specifically bring it up) and I STILL don't think I've remembered to do it once during a game! Frustrating!!
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
We pregame this new mechanic every scrimmage (I specifically bring it up) and I STILL don't think I've remembered to do it once during a game! Frustrating!!
I did it about 25% in one scrimmage and 50% in another. I'm hoping that the progression is doubling the percentage rather than adding 25%.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I have one partner that asked for help in pre-game last night in reminding him to do that mechanic, as he mentioned that he also forgets to do it. So, whenever I had an endline throw-in where he was the T, I simply waited and stared at him until he got that "light bulb came on" look, and his hand shot up to chop in the clock.

Most of the time I didn't have to wait longer than a second or two, but somehow he managed to put his hand up every time I administered a throw-in. I also looked out at him one time when he was C, and he instinctively put his hand up. When I shook my head no, he looked like he was ready to come over and kick my a$$. But, at least he's learning...

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 11:48am
M.A.S.H.

I thought I did a pretty good job of remembering last night. I was told at halftime that I had missed a few. But I'm getting the hang of it...
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm batting about .333 on mirroring the chop. I would never have imagined it would be this difficult to remember.

Girls Varsity last Saturday night. At halftime discussion we talked about the mirror and all the ones we missed. One partner was really having a difficult time knowing when to do it.

Third quarter, I'm inbounding the ball as T staying in the frontcourt. I am about to hand the player the ball, I have my hand up to chop time and my partner who is C tableside has his hand up. I stand there staring at him wondering why he is holding up my throw-in. I look at the benches, no subs. I look at all the players looking for someone tying their shoe or something, nothing. Now we're just staring at each other with our hands up when it hits me. He doesn't have a clue when to mirror and he is mirroring everything from everywhere. It left me chuckling the rest of the game.

Anyway, we talked after the game and hopefully things will get better from here.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

So is that just a 3 person mechanic or is it on crews of 2 as well?
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
So is that just a 3 person mechanic or is it on crews of 2 as well?

Crew of three only.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Why not?

State supervisor thinks it's an unnecessary mechanic and doesn't want "two" many officials ball watching.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith