The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New NFHS mechanic question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55526-new-nfhs-mechanic-question.html)

Pirate Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:19pm

New NFHS mechanic question

Might sound like a stupid question, but here goes anyway. Does the trail (soon to be lead) mirror the chop signal of the lead (soon to be trail) after all made FT's? The official's manual (OM) mentions the chop in the frontcourt on all endline throw-ins, but the OM doesn't mention the mirrored chop for the trail (soon to be lead) on a made FT, or am I missing something? I'm referring to three man mechanics of course.

Nevadaref Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate (Post 637858)
Might sound like a stupid question, but here goes anyway. Does the trail (soon to be lead) mirror the chop signal of the lead (soon to be trail) after all made FT's? The official's manual (OM) mentions the chop in the frontcourt on all endline throw-ins, but the OM doesn't mention the mirrored chop for the trail (soon to be lead) on a made FT, or am I missing something? I'm referring to three man mechanics of course.

No the new mechanic is only for when the offensive team has a throw-in from OOB adjacent to their frontcourt. The situation you describe has the team having a throw-in from OOB along its backcourt end line.

Pirate Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 637862)
No the new mechanic is only for when the offensive team has a throw-in from OOB adjacent to their frontcourt. The situation you describe has the team having a throw-in from OOB along its backcourt end line.

Agreed, at least that's the way I read it. Just wondering what the NFHS is thinking here though. Obviously they wanted to make it easier for the table to see the chop from the lead on a frontcourt throw-in, so I'm wondering why they wouldn't want the same from an endline throw-in from the backcourt? :confused:

Back In The Saddle Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:41pm

My thoughts: The end line throw-in in front court concentrates all 10 players and all officials in the front court. It can get pretty packed in and be difficult to see. A throw-in after a made free throw is generally not that way, even when the defense is pressing.

The end line throw-in in front court has the T focused on the players in front of him, and toward the end line. The throw-in after a made free throw has the old T, new L focused on the first wave of players going down court, and facing away from the throw-in.

Pirate Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 637867)
My thoughts: The end line throw-in in front court concentrates all 10 players and all officials in the front court. It can get pretty packed in and be difficult to see. A throw-in after a made free throw is generally not that way, even when the defense is pressing.

Agreed.

Quote:

The end line throw-in in front court has the T focused on the players in front of him, and toward the end line. The throw-in after a made free throw has the old T, new L focused on the first wave of players going down court, and facing away from the throw-in.
Also agree. Thanks guys, just wanted someone more competent than myself to confirm the reasoning behind the frontcourt mechanic but not the backcourt mechanic.

BktBallRef Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:48pm

Makes no difference to me, we're not doing it.

ODJ Tue Nov 24, 2009 02:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 637877)
Makes no difference to me, we're not doing it.

Why not?

Our game tonight, we forgot. But the uniforms were legal!!

grunewar Tue Nov 24, 2009 07:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ (Post 637890)
Our game tonight, we forgot.

We pregame this new mechanic every scrimmage (I specifically bring it up) and I STILL don't think I've remembered to do it once during a game! :( Frustrating!!

mbyron Tue Nov 24, 2009 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 637909)
We pregame this new mechanic every scrimmage (I specifically bring it up) and I STILL don't think I've remembered to do it once during a game! :( Frustrating!!

I did it about 25% in one scrimmage and 50% in another. I'm hoping that the progression is doubling the percentage rather than adding 25%. :D

M&M Guy Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:30am

I have one partner that asked for help in pre-game last night in reminding him to do that mechanic, as he mentioned that he also forgets to do it. So, whenever I had an endline throw-in where he was the T, I simply waited and stared at him until he got that "light bulb came on" look, and his hand shot up to chop in the clock.

Most of the time I didn't have to wait longer than a second or two, but somehow he managed to put his hand up every time I administered a throw-in. I also looked out at him one time when he was C, and he instinctively put his hand up. When I shook my head no, he looked like he was ready to come over and kick my a$$. But, at least he's learning... :D

tjones1 Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:48am

I thought I did a pretty good job of remembering last night. I was told at halftime that I had missed a few. But I'm getting the hang of it...

Scratch85 Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:31pm

I'm batting about .333 on mirroring the chop. I would never have imagined it would be this difficult to remember.

Girls Varsity last Saturday night. At halftime discussion we talked about the mirror and all the ones we missed. One partner was really having a difficult time knowing when to do it.

Third quarter, I'm inbounding the ball as T staying in the frontcourt. I am about to hand the player the ball, I have my hand up to chop time and my partner who is C tableside has his hand up. I stand there staring at him wondering why he is holding up my throw-in. I look at the benches, no subs. I look at all the players looking for someone tying their shoe or something, nothing. Now we're just staring at each other with our hands up when it hits me. He doesn't have a clue when to mirror and he is mirroring everything from everywhere. It left me chuckling the rest of the game. :)

Anyway, we talked after the game and hopefully things will get better from here.

Clark Kent Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:56pm

So is that just a 3 person mechanic or is it on crews of 2 as well?

Scratch85 Tue Nov 24, 2009 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 637973)
So is that just a 3 person mechanic or is it on crews of 2 as well?

Crew of three only.

BktBallRef Tue Nov 24, 2009 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ (Post 637890)
Why not?

State supervisor thinks it's an unnecessary mechanic and doesn't want "two" many officials ball watching.