The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 01:56pm
Archaic Power Monger

Positioning on Technical Foul Free Throws

I have lent my official's manual to a fellow official and cannot look this up (otherwise I would have).

Can somebody please post where the calling official should be positioned while technical foul free throws are administered? I called a T during a game last week and went to table side trail, and my partner moved me to the division line opposite the table during the free throws.

I was under the impression we were to go to our normal positions while administering technical foul free throws. Is this not correct?

This is for NFHS mechanics. Thanks.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 01:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I know of no mechanic that makes this different than any other free throw from this perspective.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

The Official's manual states: Following a technical foul free throw, the Center will administer the throw-in at the division line opposite the table becoming new trail.

This leads me to believe the administration of the free throws would be just as any other free throw.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 02:13pm
Archaic Power Monger

For a futher clarification, I am seeking the answer for two person mechanics however it seems my partner was probably making this up.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 02:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
For a futher clarification, I am seeking the answer for two person mechanics however it seems my partner was probably making this up.
Did he move all the players behind the division line, too?
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

You stay in your normal positions. I guess if the T has some emotion to it, the Trail can back up a little bit, but there is not much need for that if you ask me. The players can stand in the same places as well as any other FT but they cannot be on the line.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Part of it depends on the reason for the T. If it was "contentious" then you might want to move to opposite the table anyway.

Plus, if you're table side, then either you or both of you will have to move to administer the throw-in, so you might as well be opposite to begin with (unless you need / want to talk to the coach).
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 02:33pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Did he move all the players behind the division line, too?
No...but before the game when I asked him what he wanted to pre-game, he responded with "You know in all my years I've never had an actual pre-game."

He also called 3 seconds from trail...on a 7th grade girls game...when both teams were sitting in the paint.

Bob, that makes sense completely. This was only an administrative T so I'm not sure if that was his reasoning or not. I'll be sure to ask him the next time I see him.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

From this year's NFHS Official's Manual (which is available online along with the rules and case books):

G. Technical/Intentional/Flagrant Fouls:
1. The official who calls the foul reports it and becomes the table side Trail for free throws, except as in 2.4.2.E.2. (2.4.2.G.1)

E. Switching:
2. For shooting fouls, the calling official reports the foul to table, then remains table side at Trail. The calling official has the option of going to Lead (opposite table) to avoid a confrontational situation with coach/bench, i.e. after a technical foul or disqualifying foul. The practice should rarely be used and should be discussed thoroughly in the pregame conference. (2.4.2.E.2)
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He also called 3 seconds from trail...on a 7th grade girls game...when both teams were sitting in the paint.
Just curious....what's wrong with calling 3 seconds from trail?
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 09:19am
Archaic Power Monger

I thought about that more and it has been also pointed out to me that would be correct. I was under the mistaken understanding that call always belonged to the lead. Whoops.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
From this year's NFHS Official's Manual (which is available online along with the rules and case books):
Where? Can you post a link?
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS | National Federation of State High School Associations

There is a link on the right hand side of the home page titled "Publications Library". Follow that link.

However, in order to access the files you must be a member of the NFHS officials association. Many states provide this membership along with your state membership.