The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long View Post
The tricky part is if the foul occurs before ball is in flight on tap or try.

A1 jumps to shoot. If A2 fouls before A1 releases the ball no points will be scored. A1 had player control therefore A2 foul is a team control foul. The ball becomes dead immediately, no FT's, and B put ball in play by Throw in.

A1 jumps to shoot. B2 fouls A2. Because of continuation rule it does not matter if ball has been relesed or not. A1 is allowed to continue the try and the goal will be counted if successful. Play will then resume with either a throw in by A at spot nearest B2's foul or by free throws (1 and 1 or 2).
Just wanted to point out that NFHS does not have continuation. I don't do college so I don't know if college does. NFHS has continuous motion.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 12:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
Just wanted to point out that NFHS does not have continuation. I don't do college so I don't know if college does. NFHS has continuous motion.
The rule is the same at all levels, even if the semantics are different in the eyes of fans.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 03:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The rule is the same at all levels, even if the semantics are different in the eyes of fans.
Except in the NBA you would be allowed 2 steps after getting fouled.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
3 to 4 steps accutally.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right you are, it's continuous motion in NFHS and NCAA:

"Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.

"If an opponent fouls after a player has started a try for goal, he/she is permitted to complete the customary arm movement, and if pivoting or stepping when fouled, may complete the usual foot or body movement in any activity while holding the ball. These privileges are granted only when the usual throwing motion has started before the foul occurs and before the ball is in flight." (NFHS 4-11-1,2)

"Continuous motion applies to a try for field goal or free throw, but shall have no significance unless there is a foul by the defense during the interval that begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight." (NCAA 4-14)

The NFHS definition is more detailed, especially about what constitutes "habitual throwing movement", but the rules appear to be otherwise the same.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
With the new traveling rule, wouldn't that be 3 steps? Maybe even 3 1/2?