The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foul during shot (off ball) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55448-foul-during-shot-off-ball.html)

MatthewPV Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:02am

Foul during shot (off ball)

A1 shots and makes bucket. During shot, (a) A2 is fouled by B2 or (b) B2 is fouled by A2.

I believe that in both situations that the bucket would count, and the ball would be inbounded by the offended team at the POI. Am I correct? Can you point me in the right direction. I have my rulebook here and can't find it. Any help would be helpful.

MatthewPV Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:05am

Also, is A2 if fouled by B2, and the bucket is made...Do they get the ball out of bounds at the POI, or do they get an "And 1" foul shot?

Back In The Saddle Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:05am

You're looking for when the ball becomes dead during a try (a shot attempt). And you're looking for whether that answer is different depending on whether the offense or defense commits the foul.

MatthewPV Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:24am

So in 6-7, it says the ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter lands.

I might not be understanding, but if a foul happens during the try or tap (ball is in air), no matter what, I am calling the foul, but counting the bucket if made and awarding a throw in to the offended team.

tjones1 Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewPV (Post 636828)
Also, is A2 if fouled by B2, and the bucket is made...Do they get the ball out of bounds at the POI, or do they get an "And 1" foul shot?

Think about this...

It's certainly possible for A2 to go to the line in this situation. However, not for only one shot ("And 1") - it'd either be bonus or double bonus.

tjones1 Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewPV (Post 636833)
I might not be understanding, but if a foul happens during the try or tap (ball is in air), no matter what, I am calling the foul, but counting the bucket if made and awarding a throw in to the offended team.

What if a team is in the bonus or double bonus? If it's during a try then there's no team control, right? So it doesn't matter who it is on you are going to shoot if they are in the bonus/double bonus, right?

Daryl H. Long Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:33am

Try these rules to help you understand:

6-7-4
6-7-7 (and exceptions listed at end of 6-7)
and let not forget continuation
4-11-1,2, & 3

Also, 4-12 especially
4-12-1 (player control)
4-12-2a (team control)
4-12-3a (team control ends)

Therefore you must know
1 who fouled.
2. when did the foul occur (ie. before or after the release of the ball on try or tap).
3. does team control exist
4. ball dead or still alive.

Nevadaref Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewPV (Post 636827)
A1 shots and makes bucket. During shot, (a) A2 is fouled by B2 or (b) B2 is fouled by A2.

I believe that in both situations that the bucket would count, and the ball would be inbounded by the offended team at the POI. Am I correct? Can you point me in the right direction. I have my rulebook here and can't find it. Any help would be helpful.

I put the only part which you have incorrect in red.

Daryl H. Long Wed Nov 18, 2009 01:13am

In ALL situations in which a foul occurs by either team after the ball is in flight on a try or tap the goal is counted. As Nevada said play is not resumed at POI (incorrect terminology) but according to circumstances dictated by the foul.

Throw in at spot nearest foul
Free throws (1 and 1 or 2)

Daryl H. Long Wed Nov 18, 2009 01:30am

The tricky part is if the foul occurs before ball is in flight on tap or try.

A1 jumps to shoot. If A2 fouls before A1 releases the ball no points will be scored. A1 had player control therefore A2 foul is a team control foul. The ball becomes dead immediately, no FT's, and B put ball in play by Throw in.

A1 jumps to shoot. B2 fouls A2. Because of continuation rule it does not matter if ball has been relesed or not. A1 is allowed to continue the try and the goal will be counted if successful. Play will then resume with either a throw in by A at spot nearest B2's foul or by free throws (1 and 1 or 2).

ttaylor40 Wed Nov 18, 2009 07:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewPV (Post 636827)

If the ball was in the air, the buket would count in both situations. If B1 fouled, A1 would get a free-throw. If A2 fouled, B would either take the ball out-of-bounds or shoot if in the bonus since there is no team control during a try.

Raymond Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttaylor40 (Post 636861)
If the ball was in the air, the buket would count in both situations. If B1 fouled, A1 would get a free-throw. If A2 fouled, B would either take the ball out-of-bounds or shoot if in the bonus since there is no team control during a try.

That is incorrect.

Shots for A & B would only be shot if bonus were in affect. If bonus is not in effect than offended team would get a throw-in.

What I need to find out is if B's throw-in would be anywhere along the endline or would it be a designated spot throw-in.

Adam Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 636881)
That is incorrect.

Shots for A & B would only be shot if bonus were in affect. If bonus is not in effect than offended team would get a throw-in.

What I need to find out is if B's throw-in would be anywhere along the endline or would it be a designated spot throw-in.

It depends on the spot of the foul. If the spot is such that the throwin spot would be on the endline, then it would be an endline throwin to prevent the team from gaining an advantage from the foul.

Clark Kent Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 636890)
It depends on the spot of the foul. If the spot is such that the throwin spot would be on the endline, then it would be an endline throwin to prevent the team from gaining an advantage from the foul.

I think what BadNews had to find out was if it was a designated spot throw in (from a spot closest to the foul) or anywhere along the end line (as is the case after a made basket). Which takes precidence?

Adam Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 636922)
I think what BadNews had to find out was if it was a designated spot throw in (from a spot closest to the foul) or anywhere along the end line (as is the case after a made basket). Which takes precidence?

It's a designated spot, however...
If the designated spot is on the sideline or opposite endline, go with that. If the designated spot would be along the endline where the basket was scored, it's an endline throwin.
7-5-7b
case play 7.5.7e