The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Jr High Ball

I'm assuming that Jr Highs and middle schools use NFHS rules.

I just picked up a couple of games next week at an area jr. high.

Has anyone encountered rule modifications specific to a jr high/middle school league?
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Usually they have middle school or elementary school exceptions to the FED rules. I see you're in the Chicago area. Here in Illinois we have the IESA and the SIJHSAA and both have different exceptions. Just ask some of your fellow officials in your area or call the AD at your local middle school. Or send a PM to JRutledge... he can tell you about Chicagoland.

Last edited by refnrev; Wed Nov 11, 2009 at 10:39pm.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

6 minute quarters (3 minute overtime) if strictly by NFHS rules
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 01:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine01c View Post
6 minute quarters (3 minute overtime) if strictly by NFHS rules
Really? Where?
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Really? Where?
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you're asking where on the map there are school that play 6 minute quarters, I believe the answer would be ... lot of places.

If you mean where in the rules is 901c getting 6 minute quarters, it's here:

NFHS 5-5-2: "Games involving only students below the ninth grade shall be played in six-minute quarters..."

and

NFHS 5-7-3: "The length of each extra period shall be four minutes (or half the time of a regulation quarter for non-varsity contests)...."
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Here, overtime periods are 2 minutes in any game with quarters less than 8 minutes. They are 4 minutes for varsity games where 8 minute quarters are played.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 03:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you're asking where on the map there are school that play 6 minute quarters, I believe the answer would be ... lot of places.

If you mean where in the rules is 901c getting 6 minute quarters, it's here:

NFHS 5-5-2: "Games involving only students below the ninth grade shall be played in six-minute quarters..."

and

NFHS 5-7-3: "The length of each extra period shall be four minutes (or half the time of a regulation quarter for non-varsity contests)...."
I was not aware of 5-5-2, to be honest. I'm surprised they addressed it, frankly. Thanks.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 06:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I was not aware of 5-5-2, to be honest.
I wasn't aware of it either. In fact, when he quoted it as an NFHS rule, I thought he was talking about Naughty French High School rules. (insert your imaginary Naughty French High School image here)
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

I traded emails with a coach I know. He told me 8th graders play 7 minute quarters. Not sure about 7th graders.

Other than that, it's NFHS rules.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 07:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I traded emails with a coach I know. He told me 8th graders play 7 minute quarters. Not sure about 7th graders.

Middle schools in my metro area don't have leagues. There's only rec leagues. Our local rec league plays 9 minute running quarters for 3rd & 4th grade, 6 minute stop time quarters for 5th & 6th and 7 minute stop time quarters for 7th & 8th and also HS. This seems to work out fine.

The "competitive" rec leagues around here mostly play 8 minutes stop time quarters regardless of grade level, except 5th grade (that's the grade they start at) plays 7 minutes.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 08:48am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post

There are variations all over the place. For example, here in the Omaha area, many of the JH/MS follow the NFHS rule on 6 minute quarters. There are a couple of places where they'll do 8 minute quarters with the clock running. In Iowa, the rule is 6 minute quarters regardless (the state associations actually regulate this, and many schools have separate JH/MS AD's who are there to make sure the rule, among others, is enforced).
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 10:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
There are variations all over the place. For example, here in the Omaha area, many of the JH/MS follow the NFHS rule on 6 minute quarters. There are a couple of places where they'll do 8 minute quarters with the clock running. In Iowa, the rule is 6 minute quarters regardless (the state associations actually regulate this, and many schools have separate JH/MS AD's who are there to make sure the rule, among others, is enforced).
Yep, and the state regulates the ball size (smaller ball for MS boys), officiating certification, etc.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Middle schools in my metro area don't have leagues. There's only rec leagues.
Not true. Howard assigns lots of middle school games all over the Portland Metro.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep, and the state regulates the ball size (smaller ball for MS boys), officiating certification, etc.
In my area - 5 grade and up all use a men's ball. Wish they wouldn't!
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 11:41am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Middle schools in my metro area don't have leagues. There's only rec leagues. Our local rec league plays 9 minute running quarters for 3rd & 4th grade, 6 minute stop time quarters for 5th & 6th and 7 minute stop time quarters for 7th & 8th and also HS. This seems to work out fine.

The "competitive" rec leagues around here mostly play 8 minutes stop time quarters regardless of grade level, except 5th grade (that's the grade they start at) plays 7 minutes.
I have such a variety here in the numerous leagues and age categories that I get with the coaches before the game to ensure we all agree on the rules.

I ref in two counties - one county has no MS Games and only Rec and AAU, and the other has MS. MS = 6 minute quarters for 7th grade and 7 minute quarters for 8th.

One Rec league has 20 minute running clocks at all age levels while the other messes with 7 and 8 minute quarters except for the 16-18 yr olds who do 9 minute quarters, which I detest.

I try to carry a copy of the Rec league rules with me at all times just in case.....and their have been cases.