The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Start a game with 4 players?

Due to illness, Team A only has four players available to start the game. The game may legally begin in this manner.

Is this legal? Are you ever able to START a game with only 4 players?
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Not legal in Fed per 3.1.1 Note (emphasis added):

A team must begin the game with five players, but if it has no substitutes to replace a disqualified or injured players, it must continue continue with fewer than five. When there is only one player participating for a team, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Do you have your books with you? Check out rule 3-1-1 Note, it details your very question.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 04:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

No offense intended, but it seems like you're posting questions directly from the NFHS test.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA is the same (3-1.1) "At the start of the game, each team shall consist of five players, one of whom shall be the captain."

Just to add a bit of a twist to this discussion...

Team A has only four healthy players. But for whatever reason they decide to play the game. So they submit their lineup before the 10 minute mark with the four healthy players and one unhealthy one. Their plan is to start the game, then withdraw the fifth player due to his existing illness or injury.

If you know this is their plan, do you allow them to proceed and "skirt the rules"? If, by the second half, the withdrawn player feels well enough to play, do you allow him to play?

Also, what if Team A arrives with only five players, all of whom is healthy. But after the 10 minute mark, one is injured. Do you allow them to start with fewer than five since they had five on the lineup at the 10 minute mark and it is permissible to change a starter due to "necessitated by illness, injury, illegal equipment or apparel, etc., or to attempt a technical-foul free throw"
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 06:54pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
what if Team A arrives with only five players, all of whom is healthy. But after the 10 minute mark, one is injured. Do you allow them to start with fewer than five since they had five on the lineup at the 10 minute mark and it is permissible to change a starter due to "necessitated by illness, injury, illegal equipment or apparel, etc., or to attempt a technical-foul free throw"
"Only if they are playing the game on a cruise ship that is zipzaggingly traversing the International date line and at least one of the game officials is sporting fishnets and high heels....."

Leave it alone!!!!!!!
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NCAA is the same (3-1.1) "At the start of the game, each team shall consist of five players, one of whom shall be the captain."

Just to add a bit of a twist to this discussion...

Team A has only four healthy players. But for whatever reason they decide to play the game. So they submit their lineup before the 10 minute mark with the four healthy players and one unhealthy one. Their plan is to start the game, then withdraw the fifth player due to his existing illness or injury.

If you know this is their plan, do you allow them to proceed and "skirt the rules"? If, by the second half, the withdrawn player feels well enough to play, do you allow him to play?
Yes, if that player is on the floor to start the game (i.e., for the opening jump ball...or FT's if a T is called).
Quote:

Also, what if Team A arrives with only five players, all of whom is healthy. But after the 10 minute mark, one is injured. Do you allow them to start with fewer than five since they had five on the lineup at the 10 minute mark and it is permissible to change a starter due to "necessitated by illness, injury, illegal equipment or apparel, etc., or to attempt a technical-foul free throw"
If at the time of the jump (or Technical FT's to start the game), they can not put 5 players on the floor, they do not play. Forfeit.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Nope. You need five.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 11:57pm
M.A.S.H.

I had an interesting situation last night.

Team B calls timeout.

After the warning horn, B13 reports for B44. B13 enters the game. I inform the coach that she must wait and that B44 must remain in the game.

She said, ummm, well that won't happen because B44 just left she had a family emergency. Can we play with 4 until she can come in?

I said, no that's not necessary, B13 can sub in. And we continued from there...
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 02:46am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I had an interesting situation last night.

Team B calls timeout.

After the warning horn, B13 reports for B44. B13 enters the game. I inform the coach that she must wait and that B44 must remain in the game.

She said, ummm, well that won't happen because B44 just left she had a family emergency. Can we play with 4 until she can come in?

I said, no that's not necessary, B13 can sub in. And we continued from there...
+1 for exercising common sense.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Exacly. Injuries, illnesses, etc. trump other substitution limitations. Normally, it would involve a player on the floor but I can imagine situations to expand that to include others.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Exactly, even if you didn't know the rule, common sense should dictate here.