The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Start a game with 4 players? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55190-start-game-4-players.html)

curtstrouth Wed Oct 28, 2009 02:36pm

Start a game with 4 players?

Due to illness, Team A only has four players available to start the game. The game may legally begin in this manner.

Is this legal? Are you ever able to START a game with only 4 players?

Rufus Wed Oct 28, 2009 02:53pm

Not legal in Fed per 3.1.1 Note (emphasis added):

A team must begin the game with five players, but if it has no substitutes to replace a disqualified or injured players, it must continue continue with fewer than five. When there is only one player participating for a team, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game.

Scratch85 Wed Oct 28, 2009 02:53pm

Do you have your books with you? Check out rule 3-1-1 Note, it details your very question.

Welpe Wed Oct 28, 2009 04:59pm

No offense intended, but it seems like you're posting questions directly from the NFHS test.

Back In The Saddle Wed Oct 28, 2009 06:16pm

NCAA is the same (3-1.1) "At the start of the game, each team shall consist of five players, one of whom shall be the captain."

Just to add a bit of a twist to this discussion...

Team A has only four healthy players. But for whatever reason they decide to play the game. So they submit their lineup before the 10 minute mark with the four healthy players and one unhealthy one. Their plan is to start the game, then withdraw the fifth player due to his existing illness or injury.

If you know this is their plan, do you allow them to proceed and "skirt the rules"? If, by the second half, the withdrawn player feels well enough to play, do you allow him to play?

Also, what if Team A arrives with only five players, all of whom is healthy. But after the 10 minute mark, one is injured. Do you allow them to start with fewer than five since they had five on the lineup at the 10 minute mark and it is permissible to change a starter due to "necessitated by illness, injury, illegal equipment or apparel, etc., or to attempt a technical-foul free throw"

justacoach Wed Oct 28, 2009 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 633442)
what if Team A arrives with only five players, all of whom is healthy. But after the 10 minute mark, one is injured. Do you allow them to start with fewer than five since they had five on the lineup at the 10 minute mark and it is permissible to change a starter due to "necessitated by illness, injury, illegal equipment or apparel, etc., or to attempt a technical-foul free throw"

"Only if they are playing the game on a cruise ship that is zipzaggingly traversing the International date line and at least one of the game officials is sporting fishnets and high heels....."

Leave it alone!!!!!!!

Camron Rust Wed Oct 28, 2009 07:34pm

Quote:

NCAA is the same (3-1.1) "At the start of the game, each team shall consist of five players, one of whom shall be the captain."

Just to add a bit of a twist to this discussion...

Team A has only four healthy players. But for whatever reason they decide to play the game. So they submit their lineup before the 10 minute mark with the four healthy players and one unhealthy one. Their plan is to start the game, then withdraw the fifth player due to his existing illness or injury.

If you know this is their plan, do you allow them to proceed and "skirt the rules"? If, by the second half, the withdrawn player feels well enough to play, do you allow him to play?

Yes, if that player is on the floor to start the game (i.e., for the opening jump ball...or FT's if a T is called).
Quote:

Also, what if Team A arrives with only five players, all of whom is healthy. But after the 10 minute mark, one is injured. Do you allow them to start with fewer than five since they had five on the lineup at the 10 minute mark and it is permissible to change a starter due to "necessitated by illness, injury, illegal equipment or apparel, etc., or to attempt a technical-foul free throw"

If at the time of the jump (or Technical FT's to start the game), they can not put 5 players on the floor, they do not play. Forfeit.

refnrev Wed Oct 28, 2009 08:17pm

Nope. You need five.

tjones1 Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:57pm

I had an interesting situation last night.

Team B calls timeout.

After the warning horn, B13 reports for B44. B13 enters the game. I inform the coach that she must wait and that B44 must remain in the game.

She said, ummm, well that won't happen because B44 just left she had a family emergency. Can we play with 4 until she can come in?

I said, no that's not necessary, B13 can sub in. And we continued from there...

JugglingReferee Thu Oct 29, 2009 02:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 633508)
I had an interesting situation last night.

Team B calls timeout.

After the warning horn, B13 reports for B44. B13 enters the game. I inform the coach that she must wait and that B44 must remain in the game.

She said, ummm, well that won't happen because B44 just left she had a family emergency. Can we play with 4 until she can come in?

I said, no that's not necessary, B13 can sub in. And we continued from there...

+1 for exercising common sense.

Camron Rust Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 633522)

Exacly. Injuries, illnesses, etc. trump other substitution limitations. Normally, it would involve a player on the floor but I can imagine situations to expand that to include others.

Indianaref Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 633522)

Exactly, even if you didn't know the rule, common sense should dictate here.