The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

What exactly does this mean?

From NFHS 4-12-1 "...There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an interrupted dribble.

So, during a jump ball, A2 jumps towards B2, catches the ball in the air, then lands on B2 before returning to the floor. Is this not a PC foul because A2 has not touched the floor? Or does it become a PC foul the moment A2 touches B2 who is a non-jumper?

If this is not a PC foul then ... the possession arrow is set to A when the ball is put at B's thrower for the ensuing throw-in or free throw? If this is a PC foul, then the arrow is set to B immediately?
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 07:24pm
Archaic Power Monger

Wouldn't this be a violation as soon as A2 caught the ball, making the ball dead and A2's contact nothing (unless deemed to be the level of a technical foul)?
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 08:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Could Happen, Probably Not, But It Could ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
From NFHS 4-12-1 "...There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an interrupted dribble. So, during a jump ball, A2 jumps towards B2, catches the ball in the air, then lands on B2 before returning to the floor. Is this not a PC foul because A2 has not touched the floor? Or does it become a PC foul the moment A2 touches B2 who is a non-jumper?
Back In The Saddle: You've got way too much time on your hands. Good question. I've never heard anyone ever discuss this situation before. I hope the NFHS rules committee, and the rules editor, see your post. It will give them the mother of all headaches.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 08:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" (The Rolling Stones, 1968) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Wouldn't this be a violation as soon as A2 caught the ball, making the ball dead and A2's contact nothing (unless deemed to be the level of a technical foul)?
I think that Back In The Saddle was referring to nonjumpers.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
From NFHS 4-12-1 "...There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an interrupted dribble.

So, during a jump ball, A2 jumps towards B2, catches the ball in the air, then lands on B2 before returning to the floor. Is this not a PC foul because A2 has not touched the floor? Or does it become a PC foul the moment A2 touches B2 who is a non-jumper?

If this is not a PC foul then ... the possession arrow is set to A when the ball is put at B's thrower for the ensuing throw-in or free throw? If this is a PC foul, then the arrow is set to B immediately?
What exactly does this mean?

In your sitch, are A2 and B2 the jumpers or non-jumpers? I am assuming they are non-jumpers otherwise you would have called them A1 and B1.

If so, you can't have A2 catching the ball "during" a jump ball. When A2 catches the ball the jump ball has ended and all normal rules apply. If A2 happens to be a jumper then 6-3-7(c) applies.

I think.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Reading is so fundamental.

Yep, I blew it. I completely missed the word "jumper" in there. I was envisioning a non-jumper jumping, catching the ball, and landing on another non-jumper opponent.

I'm going to go find Dick, Jane and Spot and work on my fundamentals.

Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Many thanks BITS! You have provided me some great entertainment today.

I have been accused of a lot of things but today was the first time I have ever been accused of "shoehorning." That along with your post in "How does this stupid noose work" has made today priceless.

Man, I love this forum!
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I think that Back In The Saddle was referring to nonjumpers.
Right. It means that if one of the jumpers catches the ball before the jump ball is ended, there's no Player Control and thus no Team Control. That's what it means.
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Because if the jumper A1 caught the ball and it was considered player control, you'd have to give B the ball for the violation, and then give B the arrow, because A had initial possession.
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Many thanks BITS! You have provided me some great entertainment today.

I have been accused of a lot of things but today was the first time I have ever been accused of "shoehorning." That along with your post in "How does this stupid noose work" has made today priceless.

Man, I love this forum!
I'm happy to be of some use
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Jump Ball/ AP arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown View Post
Because if the jumper A1 caught the ball and it was considered player control, you'd have to give B the ball for the violation, and then give B the arrow, because A had initial possession.
Frank, do I read your statement correctly? This ruling changed a few years ago. There is no longer a double penality if a "Jumper" catches the ball.
If A1 catches the ball before the 'Jump Ball' requirements end, then Team B would get the ball Out of Bounds and Team A would get the AP arrow.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Jump Ball

I agree with Zoochy!
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Frank, do I read your statement correctly? This ruling changed a few years ago. There is no longer a double penality if a "Jumper" catches the ball.
If A1 catches the ball before the 'Jump Ball' requirements end, then Team B would get the ball Out of Bounds and Team A would get the AP arrow.
That was Frank's point. If there was player/team control on that intial catch, the ruling Frank gives would be correct. Since there is no player control there, it's different.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Question The Basketball

Is this a trick question? The Basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled coverwith any number of horizonally shaped panels.
the book doesn't state how many panels, so I think the anser is TRUE???
Am I missing something here?
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 03:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeacosta View Post
Is this a trick question? The Basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled coverwith any number of horizonally shaped panels.
the book doesn't state how many panels, so I think the anser is TRUE???
Am I missing something here?
It used to be specified. Does that help?