The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Shoe falling off

JH boys game tonight. Lots of fouls, lots of contact, lots of held balls, lots of whining....you get the picture.

Team A attempts a shot, it misses. A1 loses his shoe in the process. B1 gets the rebound and takes a dribble and as the new Trail, I blow the whistle to let A1 get his shoe back on. Of course, B's coach throws a fit (Yes, the same coach who argues any block/charge call with something about "being set" and thinks a muff is a dribble). He tells my partner that he needs to come help me because I can't do that. Oh yeah, he was up by 20+ at this point.

I looked in the rule book, but didn't see anything specific. Should I have done something differently when the shoe fell off? B's player who got the rebound wasn't even close to half court yet, so it's not like he was about to shoot a layup and my whistle stopped the fast break.

Oh yes, not only was B's coach ignorant of the rules, when I told him that I don't need his running commentary from the bench, he played the "I wasn't talking to you" card. He would do this the whole game...Whine about something and then claim he wasn't talking to us. I finally told him that I'll answer a question but I'm not going to listen to statements from him. He said he didn't have any questions, so I told him I don't want to hear any more out of him.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Is a player temporarily without a shoe a safety hazard? I seriously doubt it.
You should not have stopped the game. At the next dead ball, you can delay making it live again and allow the player to collect his shoe or you can permit a substitution. The coach was right about this one.

Why would you allow a coach to comment and whine the entire game? Whack him with a T and be done with it. If he persists in the poor behavior give him another T and send him packing.

He walked all over you because you allowed him to do so.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 03:06am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not know why officials insist on stopping play for shoelaces coming untied and shoes coming off. Think about it this way, what if a player took their shoe off on purpose? Would you stop play every time someone did this no matter what?

Not only should you have not stopped play, you should have drew a line in the sand with coach. He would have had to move on at some point. And saying he was talking to his players would have stopped if you stuck him. Coaches know what they are doing. If we can give Ts for what is said in the huddle, then we can T them up for what they say to their players and you can hear them. I am not trying to pile on, but we cannot just use some rule we have never read or had interpreted. I understand that we want to keep players safe, but missing a shoe has not been determined to be something that is unsafe. At least not so much that we stop a break to correct the situation. Even a hurt player is not to cause a stoppage of play unless they are immediate danger. I do not see a shoe coming off as immediate danger.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Should I have done something differently when the shoe fell off?
Yes. You should have let play continue. The coach was correct.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 04:04pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
A1 loses his shoe in the process. B1 gets the rebound and takes a dribble and as the new Trail, I blow the whistle to let A1 get his shoe back on.
Next thing ya know, you'll be blowing the play dead every time the net wraps around the ring! Just kidding, don't do that either.

As they say, now you own it!
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 06:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Oh yes, not only was B's coach ignorant of the rules, when I told him that I don't need his running commentary from the bench, he played the "I wasn't talking to you" card. He would do this the whole game...Whine about something and then claim he wasn't talking to us.
Next time this happens, do this. Stand out in the middle of the court, point at that coach and yell, "THAT COACH IS A JERK!" three times at the top of your lungs. If he says anything to you about it, reply "I wasn't talking to you".
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...he played the "I wasn't talking to you" card.
Coach…(Insert disrespectful and unsporting comment here)
You… Whack.
Coach… How can you T me for that?! I wasn’t talking to you!
You… It doesn’t matter if you were talking to me or not. Your comment was disrespectful and unsporting.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
Coach…(Insert disrespectful and unsporting comment here)
You… Whack.
Coach… How can you T me for that?! I wasn’t talking to you!
You… It doesn’t matter if you were talking to me or not. Your comment was disrespectful and unsporting.
That's boring. Change your last response to something sarcastic.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 06:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
I looked in the rule book, but didn't see anything specific. Should I have done something differently when the shoe fell off?
What if the player's jock fell off? Would you have blown the whistle and stopped play? Of course, NCAA Women's rules probably don't cover that.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Without being too graphic....

The NCAA Women's rule book doesn't cover "What if a certain feminine product falls onto the floor during play?

But when it happened I stopped play for cleanup on free throw lane line 1.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 08:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long View Post
Without being too graphic....

The NCAA Women's rule book doesn't cover "What if a certain feminine product falls onto the floor during play?

But when it happened I stopped play for cleanup on free throw lane line 1.
Believe it or not, we've actually discussed this on a previous thread. Apparently, it doesn't happen too often, but a surprising number of refs reported they have had it happen during their games.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 02:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Seriously!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Believe it or not, we've actually discussed this on a previous thread. Apparently, it doesn't happen too often, but a surprising number of refs reported they have had it happen during their games.
This happened in a tournament game I was watching last year.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh yes, not only was B's coach ignorant of the rules, when I told him that I don't need his running commentary from the bench, he played the "I wasn't talking to you" card. He would do this the whole game...Whine about something and then claim he wasn't talking to us. I finally told him that I'll answer a question but I'm not going to listen to statements from him. He said he didn't have any questions, so I told him I don't want to hear any more out of him.
Idiot coaches will give you just exactly crap as you will take. After about the second not-talking-to-you whine, you need to address it. Not after about the second half.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 07:55am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
That's boring. Change your last response to something sarcastic.
Sarcastic as in "Are you divorced? Yes? Enough said!"