The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Assessment/evaluation

My local association is considering implementing an assessment/evaluation system for our members. Needless to say, we have some concerns and some good ideas about how to do this.

However, we're looking for input and comments from others on how they do it. What better place than here?

I would appreciate any thoughts or examples on how others do it.
I could write pages about what we've discussed and what we're thinking about doing. However, I thought I'd ask here first and I'll be willing to share thoughts and answer questions as need be.

Ultimately, we'd like the assessment/evaluation to indicate which are our associations top officials and which officials are ready for advancement.

Thanks in advance for anything you might share.
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

This can be a useful program if used correctly.

Around here, everyone got upset that they were given a "numercial grade." The thought was that the people doing the evaluations were keeping other officials down. So we did away with the numbers. Now when an evaluation is done, people basically just throw the suggestions out.

The goal should always be to help the overall officiating in the association. This needs to be communicated to all of your officials.

If the evaluations are to be used for determining a ranking system, it is crucial to eliminate the self serving aspect by some of the evaluators (fellow officials?). Keep to the facts of what can actually be determined through evaluations. Positioning, Rules Application, Basic fitness, Uniform appearance. Judgement is in the eye of the beholder and it certainly is different from the 15th row than it is in the heat of the moment.

I know that I have not covered everything, but am sure you will get plenty of excellent ideas coming your way.

Last edited by icallfouls; Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 04:34pm.
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 04:32pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Ken,

This comes up quite often.

One treasure trove of information is to go to the "Search" feature at the top of the Forum and type in "Evaluation." That will search the Forums and bring you up a great many previous threads, discussions, opinions and example forms (as below).

http://www.naso.org/modelevalform/im...elevalform.pdf

Along with that, I'm sure many will provide input here.

Good luck.
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 07:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Our Local Board's Guidelines ...

RATINGS GUIDELINES FOR EVALUATION

REACTION TIME
Reacts quickly enough to make a decision at the moment of its occurrence.
Makes quick and positive decisions, especially with respect to the “close ones”.
Takes the time to prevent an error from being made.

INTESTINAL FORTITUDE
Remains consistent when calling violations or fouls - without regard to the score, whom it may hurt, or how it may effect future relations with the coach.

CONFIDENCE
Exhibits a confident manner i.e. attention to detail, alertness, firmness, and timeliness of his/her reaction to a situation.
Has a resonant, strong voice that is supported by proper mechanics for purpose of clarification.

POISE
Has a quiet influence on the game that relieves tensions and creates a steady effect upon contestants (both players and coaches alike).
Has control of his/her emotions.
Is courteous and polite.

CONSISTENCY
Is consistent in all calls regardless of situation or point of time in the game. For example consistency in the determination of a block vs. a charge.

JUDGMENT
Uses fair and unbiased judgment and common sense in applying the rules of the game.

COOPERATION
Has the ability to work effectively as a “team” with his/her fellow official
Is not overly sensitive to constructive criticism.
Has a sense of loyalty to fellow officials, a willingness to share the responsibility and avoids attempts to shift the blame.

KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROPER APPLICATION OF THE RULES
Presents a thorough knowledge of the rules of basketball
Appears to make his/her decision with consideration to the effect the calling, or equally as important, the not calling of a rule violation will have. (i.e. advantage / disadvantage)

MECHANICS OF OFFICIATING
Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the Officials Manual.

APPEARANCE AND CONDITIONING
Is in excellent physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy
Official’s uniform and overall appearance is neat, clean and well kept.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Independent observersation systems have great potential and will have more value than a peer system.

I think the biggest challenge is to find enough quality evaluators to cover the games. If you can get active college officials that is best. There are usually retired officials out there who can give back. At least in our area, we recently transitioned to 3 official mechanics and most of the oldtimers had never worked or received any formal training. Either way, the system should be more objective and fair to each official.