The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

3 Seconds - About Time

The NFHS and NCAA are emphasizing 3 seconds this year. I've drafted a newsletter article and invite comments from forum members. The excerpts from the NFHS and NCAA statements are at the very end, preceded by a lot of space.

Three Seconds. It’s about time.

The 3-second violation is on the basketball rules hot list for the 2009/10 season. Both the NFHS and NCAA rules committes have focused on 3-seconds (see emphasis). This offensive 3-second violation is not to be confused with defensive 3-seconds included only in the NBA rules.

Background

The basic NFHS, NCAA, FIFA, NBA and WNBA rules are the same. A player of a team with control in the front court shall not touch or be in the restricted area for more than 3 consecutive seconds. The restricted area is the free throw lane including boundary lines.*

An allowance is made to continue a count but suspend a violation ruling when, before 3 seconds, an offensive player starts to attempt to score (including dribbling to the basket). If the move is directly completed, no violation can occur. However, if the move is aborted (e.g. by a pass or fake), no exception applies.

NCAA FIBA and NBA rules also make allowance for a player who, before 3 seconds, attempts to leave the restricted (NCAA and FIBA) or passes and immediately makes a move out of the lane (NBA).
*The WNBA restricted area also includes an extension of the free throw lane from the endline to four feet off the court.

Rationale

The impetus for 3 second violation emphasis is inconsistent enforcement. As noted by the NCAA rules committee, 3-second “uncalled infractions provide a distinct advantage for the offensive team.” The NFHS committee “maintains that correct enforcement goes a long way to decreasing rough post play.”

Officials may shy away from calling 3-second violations. A common argument is that such calls disturb the flow of the game -- they are game interrupters -- with little benefit. Sadly, this has become a self-fulfilling prophesy. When 3-seconds is called inconsistently (or not all), game flow is interrupted by an imbalance of physical play over finesse in the post. Player,coach and partner uncertainty regarding enforcement also hurt game quality.

Consistent enforcement may lead to a temporary increase in called 3-second violations before players and coaches adapt and cause fewer violations. Take note of the recent emphasis on penalizing carrying violations and the success in reducing those violations..

3-Second Tips/Reminders

• Prevent if we can, enforce (correctly) if we must.

• A 3 second violation can occur only when there is team control in the front court

• A 3 second violation can occur when there is no player control (e.g. during an interrupted dribble or passing among teammates)

• The 3-second count is silent and not visible
  • One or two alerts (e.g. stating “lane“) may effectively prevent 3-second violations. Additional alerts or coaching (e.g. “get out of the lane”) is inadvisable.

• A violation occurs only after 3 seconds.

• When a 3 second count is reached

• Find the ball. If it is leaving or has left a players hand on a try -- no team control, no 3 seconds.

• Check for movement in the restricted area. If a player starts to move to exit the restricted area, dribble or try for goal -- suspend.

• Be sure. Barely touching the lane boundary is not touching. 3 seconds is not more than 3 seconds.

NFHS 3-Seconds Emphasis

When a team is in control of the ball in its frontcourt, a player of that team may not remain in the lane for three seconds. The lane is bounded by the end line and the farther edge of the free-throw line -- and includes the lane lines.

1. Team control. In order to understand the administration of the rule, it is necessary to know when team control exists. Team control exists: during player control, holding and dribbling inbounds; during a pass between teammates; during an interrupted dribble. Team control continues until: the ball is in flight during a try for goal; an opponent secures control; the ball becomes dead. Team control does not exist during the tapping of a rebound or when the ball is loose following a try. There is no team control during a throw-in. The three-second restriction is not in effect when there is no team control, and is terminated the instant team control ends.

2. Exception. Allowance is made and the count is momentarily stopped when a restricted player has the ball and dribbles or makes a move to try for goal. However, the previous count is resumed if the player does not continue and try for goal. Some may feel that exception complicates the rule, but it is necessary in order to balance the offense and defense. The most obvious misinterpretation of this rule is when the restricted player has a two-second count when he or she begins the move to try for goal, but is stopped or the ball is batted loose. The player involved, while in the lane, attempts to regain possession and instead of continuing the count, the official erroneously stops it entirely. If the player starts a move to the basket and the ball is jarred loose, the previous count is resumed and results in a violation if it reaches three seconds. The purpose of the rule is circumvented if a violation is not called when this occurs.

3. Screener. Another situation that is occurring more frequently, and which is often not properly called, is when an offensive player sets a screen in the lane
    and remains there for more than three seconds. The responsible official must make sure that offensive players are not occupying restricted positions for more than the permitted time. The offensive player gains an unwarranted advantage if he or she can “camp out” in the lane, either as a potential shooter or as a screener.

4. Rough post play. When the three-second rule is properly enforced, rough post play is likely reduced. Post defenders cannot be expected to defend and deny an opponent in the lane indefinitely. When an offensive post player “camps out“ in the lane, defenders tend to get frustrated and become more physical. Calling this infraction when it occurs goes a long way to decreasing rough post play -- an area that has been emphasized for many years.

NCAA 3-Seconds Issue of Concern

The Rules Committee is concerned with uncalled three-second violations. The basis for this concern is that these uncalled infractions provide a distinct advantage for the offensive team

As a reminder, a player is not permitted to have any part of his body in the three-second lane for more than three consecutive seconds while the ball is in control of his team in his front court. (Exception 9-9.1.a).

A three second count shall be suspended when a player who has been in the lane for fewer than three seconds has made a conscientious effort to leave the lane, usually by taking the shortest distance out of the area. When the player decides not to leave the area and has been in the lane for more than three seconds, he has committed a violation.

When a player, who has been in the lane for fewer than three seconds, immediately dribbles or makes a move to try for a goal, the three second count shall be suspended to allow for the completion of the try. However, when the player passes the ball or aborts his try for goal, the suspended count shall continue. When that player is in the lane for more than three seconds, a violation has been committed.

Last edited by wanja; Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 08:47am. Reason: clarify leaving the lane allowance
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

It's about time.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 04:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
It's about time.
I'm going to wait for the movie.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Will it win Best Documentary, Short Subject?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 04:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Really? You had to make it about Chuck? Chuck Chuck Chuck! Everyone wants to talk about Chuck!
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 04:23pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Really? You had to make it about Chuck? Chuck Chuck Chuck! Everyone wants to talk about Chuck!
I don't...I'd rather talk about that Bhuck Elics guy - now there's a ref's referee for ya!!

And wanja - the quote from the NCAA...is that included in the Men's POE's? Cause I don't see it in the Women's POE's that I have in front of me.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Who let Cindy Brady on here?

Ya know, I wondered if that would be the direction my comment would go. I did actually think about re-wording it, but thought the better of it and decided to leave it.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 04:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I don't...I'd rather talk about that Bhuck Elics guy - now there's a ref's referee for ya!!

And wanja - the quote from the NCAA...is that included in the Men's POE's? Cause I don't see it in the Women's POE's that I have in front of me.
Bhuck is a legend whose shadow makes officials like Chuck look like children.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 05:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Since it addresses FEEBLE stuff, it probably would be entered in the Foreign Film category.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Just like the old days. Where's JR when you need crotchety?
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

In NFHS rules, I couldn't find the allowance for suspending a violation ruling "when, before 3 seconds, an offensive player starts to move to leave the restricted area". There is only an allowance for players moving to try for goal.

Am I missing something in NFHS?
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post
In NFHS rules, I couldn't find the allowance for suspending a violation ruling "when, before 3 seconds, an offensive player starts to move to leave the restricted area". There is only an allowance for players moving to try for goal.
Good catch.

FIBA rules state that:

"Allowances must be made for a player whom makes an attempt to leave the restricted area."

NBA rules state that:
"If he passes off and immediately makes a move out of the lane, there should be no whistle."

The NCAA issue of concern statement includes:

"A three second count shall be suspended when a player who has been in the lane for fewer than three seconds has made a conscientious effort to leave the lane"

There is no allowance for starting to leave the restricted area under NFHS and WNBA rules. I've edited the original post accordingly.

As a practical matter, if a player starts to leave the area before three seconds and directly leaves, I am unlikely to call a violation. When the timing is so close, the benefit of the doubt goes for a no call.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post

Am I missing something in NFHS?
No, you're not. And if you look up at the article wanja posted, the mention of suspending the count while leaving the restricted area is under "NCAA Areas of Concern".

Now, that said, I've always included that line of thinking in NFHS games. I cannot remember if it is an actual interp, or if it was simply an example given to me by a more experienced official, but I was told to suspend the count in the case of an offensive player trying to get out of the lane, and is blocked by a defensive screener or "traffic". It doesn't seem fair (damn, now I'm using that word...) to call the violation when the player is actually trying to get out and cannot due to actions by the defense. Does anyone remember if they've seen that interp somewhere?

(Used with permission.)

Last edited by M&M Guy; Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 09:24am.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Just like the old days. Where's JR when you need crotchety?
Stfu.

(How's that? I'm just trying to channel JR.)

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:18am
Ref Ump Welsch

Ahhh, I forsee some howler monkeys going nuts this year. Going to be a lovely season.