The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 09, 2003, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ref1bal
I would like to know, if the offense starts 26 seconds before the end of the quarter and the ball is released from the hand, the 24 seconds devices sounds and then the game time sounds and then the ball touches nothing (Airball). Is the game time to be reset to 2 seconds because the team has commited a 24 seconds violatin or game ends.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2003, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref1bal
I would like to know, if the offense starts 26 seconds before the end of the quarter and the ball is released from the hand, the 24 seconds devices sounds and then the game time sounds and then the ball touches nothing (Airball). Is the game time to be reset to 2 seconds because the team has commited a 24 seconds violatin or game ends.
Assming NBA rules are the same as NCAA rules --

If the shot was released before the shot clock expires, but the game clock expires while the shot is in the air, the game is over (assuming it's not tied and that it was the 4th quarter or OT, of course). The vilation doesn't happen until the ball misses the rim -- that can be a while after the shot clock horn sounds.

Old Sun Nov 09, 2003, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ref1bal
NBA -- reset game clock to 2 seconds (NBA Q & A # 155; Rule 7, Section II-c(2); Rule 7 - Section III. These are from 2001 rulebook; the specific citations may have changed slightly, but I believe the rule itself has not changed.)

NCAA -- period over. (2-13-9; NCAA BR 48, AR 35.)
Old Sun Nov 09, 2003, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ref1bal
Where?

I've read the rule but haven't seen anything regarding correcting the clock to its previous time.
Please show me where it is and if you have the Q&A I'd be happy if you can send them to me.
Thanks
Old Sun Nov 09, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Here's the complete case from the NBA Q & A:
Quote:
155. Player A1 scores a field goal with :31.0 remaining on the game clock in the first period. Following this, Player B2 attempts a field goal with one second remaining on the 24-second clock, which does not touch the basket ring. Player A1 secures possession of the ball and immediately calls timeout with :05.0 on the game clock. What is the procedure regarding the amount of time remaining?

Officials shall direct the clock operator to reset the game clock to read :07.0. When the 24-second clock shows "0" and the field goal attempt fails to touch the basket ring, a 24-second violation has occrred.
And here's the next case as well:

Quote:
156. Team B scores a successful field goal with :27.0 remaining in the fourth period and still trails, 121-120. Team A advances the ball into the frontcourt and with :04.0 on the game clock, Player A1 throws the ball towards the ceiling. Before the ball returns to the floor, both the 24-second clock and the game clock read zero. What is the ruling?

Officials shall direct the official timer to reset the game clock to :03.0.
Hope those are helpful to you.