The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #46 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4
sounding stupid ...

Uh, then we're saying True-False-False, right? Didn't think the replies would be as confusing as the questions and rule book! (And it's not like I'm asking about 90 of the 100 questions or anything.)
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomike View Post
Uh, then we're saying True-False-False, right? Didn't think the replies would be as confusing as the questions and rule book! (And it's not like I'm asking about 90 of the 100 questions or anything.)
Fishing lessons.
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomike View Post
11. There are three marked lane spaces on each lane boundary line, each measuring 36 inches by 36 inches.

Well, the actual markings aren't 36x36. But both the rule book and casebook make references to this 36x36 area. So is this true or false?
It doesn't say the markings are 36x36. It says the space is measured 36x36.

Quote:
14. During free-throw attempts resulting from a technical foul, substitutions may be made only after the final attempt has been converted.

Can't find the answer to this anywhere. Logic told me it was true. But I'm bothered by the word "converted." So if the second FT isn't good, there can't be substitutions even after it clanks off the rim and before play resume? Really?
3-3-1c

Quote:
69. The basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled cover with any number of horizontally shaped panels.

Any number? Really? It could have 1,000 panels? Just about all of this is lifted right out of the rule book except for "any number," which makes me want to say false.
Did you see anything that stated there was a limit on the number of panels?

Quote:
Didn't think the replies would be as confusing as the questions and rule book! (And it's not like I'm asking about 90 of the 100 questions or anything.)
It doesn't matter how few questions you're asking about. The point is we're trying to get you to think rather than just give you the answer. You don't learn anything from reading true, false, true. You need to know WHY they're true, false, true.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 10:48pm.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4
Fair enough, friends. I guess I was fishing a little ... and thanks for at least nibbling some.

As a fairly new ref (three years) but not a rookie, I do wish they would word questions in ways that tests knowledge as opposed to trying to play gotcha. But I guess that's just me.

I mean, take that last question on my list. No, I couldn't find anything regarding the number of panels on the basketball. But doesn't common sense dictate that there can't be "any number" of panels? I guess there's no room in basketball for love, war and common sense!

Anyway, I do appreciate the help.

Have a great season, everyone.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 12:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomike View Post
Fair enough, friends. I guess I was fishing a little ... and thanks for at least nibbling some.

As a fairly new ref (three years) but not a rookie, I do wish they would word questions in ways that tests knowledge as opposed to trying to play gotcha. But I guess that's just me.

I mean, take that last question on my list. No, I couldn't find anything regarding the number of panels on the basketball. But doesn't common sense dictate that there can't be "any number" of panels? I guess there's no room in basketball for love, war and common sense!

Anyway, I do appreciate the help.

Have a great season, everyone.

Mike
It's there. I was helping a friend with the Part 1 a few weeks ago and looked it up.
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 01:59am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomike View Post
I mean, take that last question on my list. No, I couldn't find anything regarding the number of panels on the basketball. But doesn't common sense dictate that there can't be "any number" of panels? I guess there's no room in basketball for love, war and common sense!
Sure, there's a physical limit to how many panels you can put on a basketball. But the rules don't impose a limit. And it's the rules you're being tested on.
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 06:02am
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,636
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomike View Post
I do wish they would word questions in ways that tests knowledge as opposed to trying to play gotcha. But I guess that's just me.
No, it's not "just you."

I understand the "wanting to make you think" mentality myself, but do find some of the questions very frustrating.

However, over the years I have learned not to read too much into them, research the ones I am unsure of, give it my best shot, and move on.....and, if I miss a question because of a word such as could, would, shall, might, may, I try to learn from it. I usually feel pretty good when I'm done and I've gotten pretty good scores overall.

Continued good luck.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
No, it's not "just you."

I understand the "wanting to make you think" mentality myself, but do find some of the questions very frustrating.

However, over the years I have learned not to read too much into them, research the ones I am unsure of, give it my best shot, and move on.....and, if I miss a question because of a word such as could, would, shall, might, may, I try to learn from it. I usually feel pretty good when I'm done and I've gotten pretty good scores overall.

Continued good luck.
It's not "just you" either. I get a little hung up on a question or three every year too. Since I can't "ask the teacher" to explain the question better, I do the best I can with it. I look it up, try to examine it from every reasonable angle, then go with my best guess at what I think they want.

Of course, in doing that I've usually expanded my own understanding of the rule in question. So regardless of whether I correctly guess what it is the test is getting at, I come away better prepared for the tests that matter. They start with a jump ball.

Despite BillyMac's protestations.

(Just yankin' yer chain, Billy)

Until the advent of online testing in my state, I used to sit down with the test and the books and look up the answer to every question. I'd list the citation on the test, along with the answer. For me it was a great way to dive back into the book at the start of the season.

Ah, the stench of progress.
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4
Just finished the test only. Got a 93. So, really, I wasn't asking for the moon, just some clarifications on the goofy wording and some food for thought. But as I said re the charge of Fishing in the Third Degree ... guilty as charged. Again, thanks for the help. Mike
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomike View Post
Just finished the test only. Got a 93. So, really, I wasn't asking for the moon, just some clarifications on the goofy wording and some food for thought. But as I said re the charge of Fishing in the Third Degree ... guilty as charged. Again, thanks for the help. Mike
Congrats on a very good score!

If you're referring to my "Fishing lessons" comment previously...I was not accusing you of fishing for answers. I was making a (apparently much too) vague reference to the saying: Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for life.

(Not to be confused with a very similar, and probably more profound saying: Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll spend every waking moment in a little boat with his line in the water, drinking beer, and telling lies.)

Just FYI, it seems you're new here. If so you likely don't know that test questions are a prickly topic. In past years several folks have come swooping in during test time, posting what amounted to, "What are the answers to questions 12, 24, 48, and 96?" and reacting angrily when the answers were not promptly posted simply for the asking. It has gotten ugly at times. So we've basically adopted the policy that we're happy to help folks find answers, to nudge them in the right direction, even answer questions about the questions, but not to just give out answers.

Good luck with your season, and bring the questions that come up in games back here to discuss. You'll get much more direct answers in that situation.
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 03:22pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
(Not to be confused with a very similar, and probably more profound saying: Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll spend every waking moment in a little boat with his line in the water, drinking beer, and telling lies.)
Or my personal favorite:
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Or my personal favorite:
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
That just warms my heart.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 04:21pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,636
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Good luck with your season, and bring the questions that come up in games back here to discuss. You'll get much more direct answers in that situation.
Unless the answers are from Padgett, then they'll just be sarcastic as heck!

You have been warned!
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Questions - Part II - NFHS BearBoy Basketball 3 Wed Dec 12, 2007 08:45pm
NFHS Part 1 Questions imaref Volleyball 11 Sun Aug 20, 2006 01:24pm
Need copy of NFHS 2005 Part 1 RibbyL Basketball 1 Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:24am
NFHS Part 1Test Questions HELP! BBallfanatic Basketball 3 Wed Nov 09, 2005 02:56pm
NFHS Part I Test Questions Mark Dexter Basketball 10 Sun Jan 27, 2002 03:47pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1