The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 11:57am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation somewhat OT - what's wrong with the coaches at this school?

A story in the local paper this morning reported that three HS football coaches (one head coach and two of his assistants) were cited by Portland police for disorderly conduct and they were driven to detox by the police. The three coach at Portland's Lincoln HS.

This is the third incident this year involving Lincoln coaches. In February, boys basketball coach David Adelman (son of former NBA player and coach Rick Adelman) was cited for DUI for the second time since 2005. The baseball coach, Michael Todd, resigned in April after he allegedly accompanied three of his HS players to an adult entertainment venue in San Francisco while at a baseball tournament.

Gee - I'm glad I don't live in that school district. If you were a parent, would you feel good about your kid playing sports at that school?
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 12:00pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs down

Some people just don't get......and never will.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

But you forgot to mention: Are they at least winning a lot of games?
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Fiveum Member

Strange that these guys can do this stuff and keep coaching kids at the HS level while we have a thread going about what there could be in a guy's background that should prevent him from coaching kids.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,

I dug out the local fish wrap when I got home this evening and read the whole article. There appears to be more to the whole situation than meets the eye - will be interested to see how it pans out......
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 10:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Mark,

I dug out the local fish wrap when I got home this evening and read the whole article. There appears to be more to the whole situation than meets the eye - will be interested to see how it pans out......
It was the lead story on the 5:00 local news. Ya' know, one of the other situations, the DUIs for David Adelman, really floored me, because I remember reffing him when he was just a little kid. I guess ya' never know.
Old Fri Sep 18, 2009, 10:57am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation It gets worse

It was reported this morning that the girls V basketball coach at Portland's Jesuit HS (a private, not public, school) resigned after her second DUI arrest in less than a year! Now here's the ironic part - her name is Kathy Adelman and she's David Adelman's sister! (see OP above)

She became head coach at this school in 1995. They've reached the playoffs 14 consecutive seasons (in Oregon, private and public schools play in the same conferences and playoffs) and won four league titles. In 2003 and 2007 they reached the state championship game in the largest school (Class 6A) tournament.

Oh yeah - two of those three Lincoln HS football coaches pleaded guilty to interfering with police. All three of them have been suspended with pay by the school district.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

it's the part about Kathy Adelman that bugs me the most. And I gotta wonder why it wasn't in the news earlier like the one about David Adelman was. Did Jesuit cover it up? Or what? I didn't like the way she screeched at the refs all the way through her games (the shrillest, most obnoxious coach I've ever been yelled at by), but she was a good coach, and her girls really liked her. It's all just too sad for words.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

~sigh~

Quote:
"And I gotta wonder why it wasn't in the news earlier like the one about David Adelman was. Did Jesuit cover it up? Or what?"
Juulie your ignorance is showing again.

Jesuit does not have the ability to "cover-up" legal processes. Your witch hunt will not go very far.

People here don't really care about the Jesuit hating that goes on in our local area.

Remember ESPN rated Jesuit as the second best high school athletic program in the nation.

Last edited by Tim C; Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 11:27am.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Juulie your ignorance is showing again.

Jesuit does not have the ability to "cover-up" legal processes. Your witch hunt will not go very far.

People here don't really care about the Jesuit hating that goes on in our local area.

Remember ESPN rated Jesuit as the second best high school athletic program in the nation.
Tim, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not a Jesuit hater at all. And I'm not on a witch hunt. I wasn't implying an ability to "cover-up" legal processes. I was wondering more about the Oregonian's not printing something. That's all.

Now I'm wondering about your paranoia, maybe?
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
it's the part about Kathy Adelman that bugs me the most. And I gotta wonder why it wasn't in the news earlier like the one about David Adelman was. Did Jesuit cover it up? Or what? I didn't like the way she screeched at the refs all the way through her games (the shrillest, most obnoxious coach I've ever been yelled at by), but she was a good coach, and her girls really liked her. It's all just too sad for words.
Not sure what you're referring to. I've worked several of her games over the years, including a few playoff games. I don't recall her ever saying much at all.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Again Juulie:

You really don't get it.

The Boreagonian quite quickly jumps on anything that makes headlines.

The paper simply printed the information when it was received. They (The Bore) didn't hesitate on either of the two arrests and you should also recognize that her brother's was also headlines as soon as it was officially reported.

You are the one that said: "Did Jesuite cover it up?"

Cripes.

How would you know how much she screeched? . . . oh yeah, after your JV game you probably stayed to watch the varsity officials.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 05:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You really don't get it.

The paper simply printed the information when it was received. They (The Bore) didn't hesitate on either of the two arrests and you should also recognize that her brother's was also headlines as soon as it was officially reported.

Cripes.

How would you know how much she screeched? . . . oh yeah, after your JV game you probably stayed to watch the varsity officials.
Meow.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 05:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
Strange that these guys can do this stuff and keep coaching kids at the HS level while we have a thread going about what there could be in a guy's background that should prevent him from coaching kids.
I have known teacher/coaches to get DUIs around here and keep their jobs. I think it depends on the school and the situation. DUIs are not automatic firing situations for most people so I would not expect anything different to be for coaches. Not that might be an issue for each community, but a coach keeping their job after a violation is not unusual from what I have seen.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You really don't get it.

Cripes.

I "don't get it?" Don't get what??

I didn't see either of her arrests in the Oregonian. I read it every day. Maybe I just missed it. Her brother's arrests were both on the front page of the sports section, but I didn't see either of hers. Yes, I asked if Jesuit covered it up. It was a question, wondering whether they tried to keep it out of the paper. Just a question, not an indictment or an implication.

"Cripes??" Does that really deserve a "Cripes?"

How do I know how much she screeched?? I did one of her games (yes, varsity) and I also heard her screeching at other refs at games I was watching.

I guess I don't understand why you're jumping on me. Why the insinuations that I wouldn't really know how she treated refs? And what's wrong with staying to watch a varsity game after I work JV?

I'm baffled why you're being so belligerent to me...