The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Everyone please do me a favor. Go get your rule book and read Rule 4-41 NOTE out loud three times. Commit it to memory and vow to me that you will educate everyone you can each time you see somebody (often a somebody wearing stripes) that doesn't know this rule.

Men's summer rec league that I play in tonight (yeah I know what you are thinking). Officials calls traveling when my teammate steps one way then the other before throwing in. I try to tell him that's not right. He loudly tells me that I ought to know the rules before arguing (being that I'm a coach and he knows this). After the game I talk to him, his partner, and the scorer who played ball in college. None of them believe me. I'm talking about "designated spot three feet wide" and "pivot foot restrictions not in effect" and they are looking at me like I had two heads. And all the court presence in the world wasn't helping! Rut!

The conversation ended with me saying something like "don't believe me now, go home tonight, look in your rule book, and apologize to me the next time you see me" with a smile but I don't think it helped!
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

As long as there are NCAA men's tournament officials who signal a travel for this, you're going to see coaches who believe that's the right call.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 08:30pm
In Memoriam

PA Coach,
Take your book to them, cuz they don't have that rule.
They don't have that book.
The guy raised his voice to show everyone that he's an ignit.
mick
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 09:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Red face Helllllooooooooo!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
And all the court presence in the world wasn't helping! Rut!

Men's League!!!! There is a reason they are doing a Men's League.

Sorry, does not apply to officials doing a league that no one cares about but the people directly involved.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Helllllooooooooo!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
And all the court presence in the world wasn't helping! Rut!

Men's League!!!! There is a reason they are doing a Men's League.

Sorry, does not apply to officials doing a league that no one cares about but the people directly involved.

Peace
Hey Tony, don't you work mens leagues?
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Helllllooooooooo!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Hey Tony, don't you work mens leagues?
I've worked men's leagues, women's leagues, co-ed leagues, pee wee, midget, junior and senior leagues, middle school, JV and varsity leagues, summer leagues, church leagues, NCCAA leagues, and Little Leagues.

BTW, Dan, who cares about any league except the ones directly involved in it?
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Coach,

You know you had the rule right and nobody else did. That's how we officials feel lots of times when we're the only ones in the gym that know a rule (except for Rut who has such great presence that the entire gym assumes that he must have it right).

You did good. Now let it go. If they don't know that rule, they may not own a rulebook. They might not even be "real refs" but just guys hired to ref by this league.

Z
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 02:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Coach,

"except for Rut who has such great presence that the entire gym assumes that he must have it right"

Z
No Rut or anyone in their right mind does not compare what happens in a Men's League to any other "organized" basketball.

So I guess the next time a coach yells "over the back" you will tell them, "there is no such thing" and they will believe you. It is a rule right? You cannot call a coach a "Howler Monkey" and in the same breath think you are going to have rules discussions of any intelligence. But then again, coaches care what your test score was. Why did P.Coach not ask. Maybe they got a 98.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I was working the Kentucky Hoopfest last week and had a coach try to work me during a timeout because I failed to call traveling on an inbounds play. I tell you it was during the Hoopfest because that is a tournament full of top player from the U.S. and Canada and is watched by several hundred college coaches. You would think these teams would be coached by someone who knows what he's doing.

Nevertheless, I explained to him that there was no such thing as travelling on an inbounds play by the player throwing the ball in and explained the three foot box and told him the player coul dance a jig in the box if he wanted to. I thought I had him convinced until he went over and asked one of my partners the same thing. My partners concurred with me, of course, but I fear there that Howler Monkey still roams the streets not knowing this rule. Perhaps, we should get him together with PA Coach's rec league refs. Those boys would have a good time.
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

One of the officials at the camp last weekend actually called travelling on an inbounds play and nobody questioned him. I cracked up watching, though I actually think one of his partners should have come to him and talked about it.
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 11:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
One of the officials at the camp last weekend actually called travelling on an inbounds play and nobody questioned him. I cracked up watching, though I actually think one of his partners should have come to him and talked about it.
devdog,
That happened to me last year, but I waited until after the game to correct my partner, in order that no one else saw.
mick
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
devdog,
That happened to me last year, but I waited until after the game to correct my partner, in order that no one else saw.
mick
I understand not questioning a partners call during a game, block /charge, shooting / on the floor , etc. However, calling traveling on the thrower during an inbounds play is clearly wrong and not a judgement call. Mick, if the coach or crowd complained, would you have talked with your partner?

Be nice, I'm new to the ref business. Oh, one more thing,PLEASE, can we not let this thread transcend to talking about baseball
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
I understand not questioning a partners call during a game, block /charge, shooting / on the floor , etc. However, calling traveling on the thrower during an inbounds play is clearly wrong and not a judgement call. Mick, if the coach or crowd complained, would you have talked with your partner?
A traveling call would be incorrect. However, what usually happens is that there is a spot violation and the official simply uses the traveling signal to make the call. In such a case, it's better to bring it up later.

BTW, there's very little chance of the coach knowing the rule, and even less chance of the fans knowing it.
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 02:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
devdog,
mick

Be nice, I'm new to the ref business. Oh, one more thing,PLEASE, can we not let this thread transcend to talking about baseball [/B]
Stan,
If the crowd yells the yell that we all know, and I am sure my partner needs to be bailed out, I'll jog down to a partner. Where I will say something like:
  • "Do you need some help?"
  • "Ya know the rule is...."
  • "I didn't see it, but now that I'm here, it'll look like we are working it out..., so change your mind if you want."

How do you know if your partner wants help? He'll look at you with the slightly prolonged look of, "Okay, did I kick it?" I know that look, because I practice it in the mirror...secret mechanic.

mick

Baseball? I'm in Michigan. Closer to the Twins and Brewers, than the Tigers. They are all "exceptional" this year.

Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 03:39pm
    Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks