The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Referee Documentary

Does anyone know of any documentaries (or movies) on officiating? Specifically I'm looking for something on basketball. I'm talking serious movies, not the one with Billy Crystal or "The Ref" with Dennis Leary.

Last edited by bbcof83; Mon Jul 27, 2009 at 10:09am. Reason: clarification
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Serious movies about officiating?

There's no such thing that I'm aware of. There are training videos that arre available from Referee magazine, but I' don't know what you're lokking for "movie" wise.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Serious movies about officiating?

There's no such thing that I'm aware of. There are training videos that arre available from Referee magazine, but I' don't know what you're lokking for "movie" wise.
A few buddies and I were talking this weekend about how we would love to see a documentary on somebody like Steve Welmer who travels to a different city every night and what his life is like. I have read articles like this but we were wondering if anyone has ever made a film about it. Seems like it would be very interesting the public and maybe could inform Fanboys about what an official really goes through day in and day out.

As far as movies, I figure there is nothing with the star of the film playing a college ref or anything like that but I thought I'd ask anyway. Just looking for entertainment on this one.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 11:38am
certified Hot Mom tester

This probably won't help, but that doesn't stop me from mentioning it.
There's a movie called "The Temp" that was filmed here in Portland. There's a scene in it showing a basketball game. The large sized official is my brother-in-law, Jim (uncredited in the movie). Apparently, somebody who was working on the movie was a friend of his and when the movie people said they needed a local to play this part, he recommended Jim, mostly for his size (he's about 6'5" and very athletic). Jim didn't play basketball in HS or college but he's in the Portland Public League HS HOF for football and his college's HOF for football and baseball. He played a year in AA ball for the Mets' farm system until he injured his knee. He was a big left handed hitting first baseman. He then became a middle school PE teacher and did that for 30 years until he retired. Now, he and his wife play golf every day. After teaching MS PE for that long, he's certainly earned it.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 12:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
This probably won't help,
Correct!
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I had a book proposal accepted by a NYC literary agency for a non-fiction piece I want to do on college officiating (grueling schedule, putting up with coaches, future superstars, off-season work, march madness, etc etc).

Agent said she would have signed if I had a few chapters already written. Anyone want to front me the money to spend a few weeks following some D-1 officials around?