The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 11, 2009, 09:10pm
Administrator

Direction of Play, Part II

Bob:

You didn't give a chance to reply to the O(riginal)T(hread). I wanted to say that Blind Zebra gave some excellent advice in his OP.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 09:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Worked my first games last night. Evaluator/trainer told me the most important thing was to give an emphatic directional signal. Reminded me of my time in drama, where we were told to make all of our moves and gestures "bigger so the person in the last row knows what you're doing."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Congratulations. You've just set the record for resurrecting the thread that's been dead the longest at 4.5 years. Don't do it again.
Moderator bob jenkins: What's wrong with resurrecting a thread from 4.5 years ago, as long as the poster has something relevant to add to the discussion. At first, I thought that you were being humorous, but then I noticed that you closed the thread, which led me to believe that you were serious. I give dsqrddgd909, a newbie, a lot of credit for bringing a new slant to this old thread, the "emphatic directional signal". I would have liked to have seen some discussion regarding emphatic signals, because all the other posters in the old thread seemed to feel that the directional signal was the least important part of the out of bounds mechanics.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Ok what is being meant by "emphatic directional signal"? Does this mean placing the emphasis on the direction and colour as we point in the right direction (hopefully )? What is different to what is being done today on the court? Should we project our voices to ensure that the last row hears us?
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Some OOB calls benefit from a little more "mustard": A louder, clear, usually more immediate voice and a little bigger, more emphatic signal. But don't go crazy with it.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Some OOB calls benefit from a little more "mustard": A louder, clear, usually more immediate voice and a little bigger, more emphatic signal. But don't go crazy with it.

Even the "obvious" calls nedd the appropriate amount of sharpness to the call. They can be "too lazy."
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Moderator bob jenkins: What's wrong with resurrecting a thread from 4.5 years ago, as long as the poster has something relevant to add to the discussion.
Experience.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even the "obvious" calls nedd the appropriate amount of sharpness to the call. They can be "too lazy."
Thank you all. I know that us newbies can get a little tiresome. I will try to better use the search function and will keep an eye on the age of the posts.

The evaluator mentioned I needed a bigger directional signal, particularly because the games were in a multiple court facility.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 07:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Guess That You Can Have It Both Ways ...

Quote:
Wait a cotton-picking minute. Didn't you close this thread topic?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Wait a cotton-picking minute. Didn't you close this thread topic?

WTF?

The OP was about remembering the direction of play, and was 4.5 years old.

This thread is (now) about specific mechanics and is a couple of days old.

Not even remotely the same.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 08:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Apologize If You Didn't Close The Old Thread ...

Quote:
The OP was about remembering the direction of play, and was 4.5 years old. This thread is (now) about specific mechanics and is a couple of days old. Not even remotely the same.
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909:
Worked my first games last night. Evaluator/trainer told me the most important thing was to give an emphatic directional signal. Reminded me of my time in drama, where we were told to make all of our moves and gestures "bigger so the person in the last row knows what you're doing."

This (above) is from the very end, of the very old thread, that a moderator closed. I questioned why it was closed, because I thought that it brought up a new, interesting, twist on the original, but very old, thread.

Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:01am
We don't rent pigs

As to the emphatic signal, my opinion is that it's better to give no signal at all than to point in the wrong direction. Should you momentarily lose track of who's going which way, (surely I'm not the only one) give a whistle, stop the clock, and say the color. It's not earth-shaking to have a second pause before you point the direction.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

I don't understand why that other thread was closed either. And with such disdain from the moderator. It's not like the topic is no longer relevant - who cares how old the thread is?

I suppose the moderators can do whatever they want, but I don't see the need for the "Don't do it again" warning at the end of the last post. That's uncalled for and unprofessional for a moderator, especially when the post made was on topic.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I don't understand why that other thread was closed either. And with such disdain from the moderator. It's not like the topic is no longer relevant - who cares how old the thread is?

I suppose the moderators can do whatever they want, but I don't see the need for the "Don't do it again" warning at the end of the last post. That's uncalled for and unprofessional for a moderator, especially when the post made was on topic.
When you're a moderator on this forum, you can make a different call with your attitude of choice.

In the meantime, if you want to start a new thread on the same topic, why not post something substantive in that vein?
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Most forum moderators I know would rather old threads be resurrected than new threads started on the same topic. Tends to cut down on clutter. Oh well, to each his/her own I guess.

*Should I have started a new thread for this post?
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post

*Should I have started a new thread for this post?
Judgement call