The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Is this a "pass"?

According to 4.31 a pass is defined "... the movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, bats or rolls the ball to another player"

Scenario : A1 has dribbled and come to a full stop. Holding the ball in the plam of one of his hands. A2 comes along and picks ball up.

Should this be considered a pass? If so on what rule?

If A2 picks the ball and puts it back into A1 hand, can A1 start a dribble?
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 09:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Whether it's a pass is irrelevant. Once A2 touches the ball, A1 may once again dribble when he regains possession.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 09:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMalti View Post
According to 4.31 a pass is defined "... the movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, bats or rolls the ball to another player"

Scenario : A1 has dribbled and come to a full stop. Holding the ball in the plam of one of his hands. A2 comes along and picks ball up.

Whether you consider it a pass or not doesn't matter. Based on what you wrote player control transferred from A1 to A2 back to A1.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 09:59am
Ch1town

Quote:

I got an offensive steal

When A1s "pass" was touched by, or touched, another player (A2) he/she may start a new dribble.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Yes of course, thank you. I should have not included the last question; it defused the real question.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Yes of course, thank you. I should have not included the last question; it defused the real question.
Okay, I assumed you asked the first question to answer the 2nd. My answer to the question, though, is it probably isn't a pass by rule, but it doesn't matter.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Okay, I assumed you asked the first question to answer the 2nd. My answer to the question, though, is it probably isn't a pass by rule, but it doesn't matter.
I am trying to understand if Player control is ever lost at the point that A2 takes the ball from A1 hand, that is how this all started. A pass would leave TC but no PC, In this situation PC is retained continously, in my thinking
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:18am
Ch1town

Quote:
In this situation PC is retained continously, in my thinking
Nope, see post #3. BNR broke it down for ya.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Nope, see post #3. BNR broke it down for ya.
My last question have been answered affirmatively by all.
I then side shifted to my first question and add a bit more to the original OP ; the reason why my OP was asked? BNR broke down my 2nd question. I am referring to the "transfer" of the ball between A1 and A2 and wandering if PC was ever lost, ie when A2 took the ball from A1 hand . One could think that both A1 and A2 have PC . In a pass the PC would be lost the minute the ball left A1 hand. Is this being to picky?
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
My last question have been answered affirmatively by all.
I then side shifted to my first question and add a bit more to the original OP ; the reason why my OP was asked? BNR broke down my 2nd question. I am referring to the "transfer" of the ball between A1 and A2 and wandering if PC was ever lost, ie when A2 took the ball from A1 hand . One could think that both A1 and A2 have PC . In a pass the PC would be lost the minute the ball left A1 hand. Is this being to picky?
I see what you're getting it. I'd consider this similar to a hand-off in that regard. During the process, there is always PC even though it changes hands, as the moment it's lost by A1, A2 has it.

I'd also say you might be a little too picky here, as I can't of any ramifications for a momentary loss of PC here even if it did exist.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see what you're getting it. I'd consider this similar to a hand-off in that regard. During the process, there is always PC even though it changes hands, as the moment it's lost by A1, A2 has it.

I'd also say you might be a little too picky here, as I can't of any ramifications for a momentary loss of PC here even if it did exist.
It is possible for both to have PC (similar to a held ball). However, in this case, I'd say that PC ended for A1 as it sounds like A2 hold sole PC for just a moment. A2 putting their hands on the ball doesn't necessarily end PC for A1. A1 must no longer be holding the ball for some amount of time.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It is possible for both to have PC (similar to a held ball). However, in this case, I'd say that PC ended for A1 as it sounds like A2 hold sole PC for just a moment. A2 putting their hands on the ball doesn't necessarily end PC for A1. A1 must no longer be holding the ball for some amount of time.
In this case, Camron, he was dribbling it. You're right, touching it doesn't end PC unless the ball gets away from A1 on a dribble.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whether it's a pass is irrelevant. Once A2 touches the ball, A1 may once again dribble when he regains possession.
So, all A2 has to do is "touch" the ball in A1's hand and A1 can dribble again? If A1 uses his dribble, gets trapped and gets someone to touch the ball, he can dribble again? Is that right?
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 12:34pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
So, all A2 has to do is "touch" the ball in A1's hand and A1 can dribble again?
Negative coach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
If A1 uses his dribble, gets trapped and gets someone to touch the ball, he can dribble again? Is that right?
Kinda, sorta, in a way.

9-5 reads:

A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART 1... A try for field goal.
ART 2... A touch by an opponent.
ART 3... A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post

Kinda, sorta, in a way.

9-5 reads:

A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART 1... A try for field goal.
ART 2... A touch by an opponent.
ART 3... A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.
For this thread Key words would be "Lost control" and "A touch by an opponent" ; Is this correct?