The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 11:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

A nice change of pace

Two freshman girls games last night, summer league stuff. I show up about 20 minutes before tip and am chatting with the scorer/site admin when I realize the red team only has three. They ended up forfeiting and just scrimmaging with the other team lending them 3 players.

My partner called 3 fouls all game; I called none. The only thing I passed on was as wipe at the ball that ended up hitting the face of a dribbler as she drove to the basket for an open layup.

The whole atmosphere was just a nice change of pace from the intensity of even the boys' summer games I've done. Not that I'd want every game to be like that, but it was a fun couple of games.

The 2nd game was slightly more competitive, both in score and in intensity; but still much more relaxed.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The whole atmosphere was just a nice change of pace from the intensity of even the boys' summer games I've done. Not that I'd want every game to be like that, but it was a fun couple of games.
Variety is the spice of life!
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 12:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Our local rec and summer assignors don't want us working games that have been declared a forfeit.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 12:20pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Our local rec and summer assignors don't want us working games that have been declared a forfeit.
Our local rec & summer officials don't like working games that have been declared a forfeit.

If there's more than 1 court at a gym, I go work 3 person if I have a forfeit on my court.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 12:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I was there, had another game afterwards, and it was easy work frankly. Never even considered not working it.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 12:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I was there, had another game afterwards, and it was easy work frankly. Never even considered not working it.

In fact, the league I just finished playing in, the officials are expressly forbidden from working forfeits by both the assignor and the Parks & Rec.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 03:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

If you work a "non-sanctioned" game, i.e. a scrimmage, you may have an insurance problem - if you carry referee insurance, that is.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 04:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's summer league ball, the game was assigned by my assigner. Whether the players are all technically from the same team is none of my business. Whether the score counts is none of my business. This game was just as sanctioned as any pre-season HS scrimmage that we all work. Frankly, it was just as sanctioned as the 2nd game I worked.

By what concrete standard is it not?
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's summer league ball, the game was assigned by my assigner. Whether the players are all technically from the same team is none of my business. Whether the score counts is none of my business. This game was just as sanctioned as any pre-season HS scrimmage that we all work. Frankly, it was just as sanctioned as the 2nd game I worked.

By what concrete standard is it not?
As soon as you declare it a forfeit. By your own admission, this game wasn't the same as your 2nd game. Any decent lawyer is going to demonstrate that.

In my area, all officials have the NFHS insurance as NV elected to be a 100% state. I'd have to check the details of the policy to see if it covers a situation such as the one that you just had.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 08:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I didn't declare the forfeit, the site admin did.
That said, I'll agree the games weren't the same. My question is what makes one more "sanctioned" than the other. The question is, what makes a game sanctioned? In essense, they're all scrimmages.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 09:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I didn't declare the forfeit, the site admin did.
That said, I'll agree the games weren't the same. My question is what makes one more "sanctioned" than the other. The question is, what makes a game sanctioned? In essense, they're all scrimmages.
In the Rec Leagues here, forfeit is written in the scorebook. After that point the officials no longer have jurisdiction over the court. I would surmise that is the point at which things could get complicated, insurance-wise.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jun 18, 2009 at 09:17pm.