The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I am a big fan of what might be called antique football. I love the single wing and the Notre Dame box. At any rate, I saw a tape a couple of years ago of a team that was shifting from an under the center formation to a direct snap single wing. Now I know the rule about being set for one second and not simulating the snap and all that but this question goes to the practical side of things. I noticed on the tape that as the game progressed the team was set for less and less time before the snap. The officials seemed to get into the frantic flow of the game and it looked like the offense was getting away with murder. It further looked like the officials were rushing to put the ball in play, something that the offense wanted. At any rate, I guess my question is the following: Do you guys ever get caught up in the flow of the game and find yourself putting the ball in play faster and faster as the game progresses?
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

It should stay the same throughout the game. If the offense is in a hurry-up mode near the end of a half, we're going to spot it at a little quicker rate, but we're not going to run frantically. That being said, we're not going to lolligag if we know time is of the essence.

An even pace is important for any game. Players play better, and officials officiate better when everyone gets into a flow. That's why doing little preventive officiating things are so important - so you don't bog the game down with little picayune stuff that can be corrected without flags.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

I'm not naive enough to say no, but you hope not. You want to have the same tempo during the last 2 minutes as the first 2 minutes. If not it is unfair for one team or the other.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I agree with ABoselli. Yes, we all do get caught up in the flow of a game. And if that means that we make the ball ready for play a little more quickly as the 2nd and 4th periods draw to a close, there's really no harm done as long as we don't over-hustle. We need to make sure that if the defense is substituting, we give them that opportunity. (Please...no discussion about the new NCAA rules.) In fact, the defense will be pleased to know that they can expect the same expedited treatment if they have the ball in such a situation. The NFL's principle in such cases is to "accommodate the offense's pace." If they're hurrying, you'll see the officials hurry as well.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baldguy642000
...Do you guys ever get caught up in the flow of the game and find yourself putting the ball in play faster and faster as the game progresses?
Personally, my crew sets a steady pace of making the ball ready for play in 11 to 13 seconds and fairly strictly enforce the 25 second clock throughout the entire game. The only time the pace is changed is we slow it down when there is a blow out and the winning team is running it up.

In the three years we have done that no team has run a "hurry up" because we are faster than most teams can move. My philosophy is keep the game moving and interesting. If the teams choose to slow it down it will be their responsibility.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
I agree also with the same for all parts of the game. But i've had some knock-down drag-outs with a couple of coahes (non-varsity of course) who have insisted that we HAVE to get the ball ready as fast as THEY want it. Wrong.
The problem is that they see the NFL guys running around like lemmings at the end of halves. They think that there is such a rule (or directive in the NFL's case) that this is how it has to be done.
That philosophy is changing. Witness the new NCAA rule.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

If the score is close, I have my HL instruct the ball boys not to bring a fresh ball into the game in the closing moments of the 2nd & 4th Quarter.
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
I agree also with the same for all parts of the game. But i've had some knock-down drag-outs with a couple of coahes (non-varsity of course) who have insisted that we HAVE to get the ball ready as fast as THEY want it. Wrong.
The problem is that they see the NFL guys running around like lemmings at the end of halves. They think that there is such a rule (or directive in the NFL's case) that this is how it has to be done.
That philosophy is changing. Witness the new NCAA rule.
There is one thing I did not mention. In the last two minutes if a team is driving, I have the umpire come out and get the ball and place it rather than have the wings toss it. The NFL guys do it because they do not bring in a new ball.