The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 08:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow Violation or not - let's make a list

I don't think there's a situation that has been discussed here as much as "over and back" violations during a throw-in. How about if we make a comprehensive list that newbies (and others) can study and perhaps carry with them in their bags so they can review them from time to time? Here's a bunch of scenarios - you guys post the answers. In each case, A1 is the thrower-in and is inbounding in team A's frontcourt on the sideline.

a) A2 is standing in backcourt, jumps and catches the ball in the air and then lands with both feet in frontcourt.

b) A2 is standing with one foot in frontcourt and one foot in backcourt and catches the inbound pass - he then lifts the frontcourt foot

c) A2 is standing in frontcourt, jumps and catches the ball in the air and then lands with both feet in backcourt.

d) same as a), except A2 lands with one foot in frontcourt and one foot in backcourt

e) same as c), except A2 lands with one foot in frontcourt and one foot in backcourt

f) A2 is standing in frontcourt, the ball deflects off him into the backcourt and he retrieves the ball with both feet in backcourt

g) while the inbound pass is in the air, Coach A calls you a fu***ing idiot, the ball hits A2 in the head while he is standing in the frontcourt, caroms off and hits Coach A in the crotch, doubling him over and causing him to scream

OK - g) was a trick example. We all know the correct answer is to laugh hysterically at Coach A while issuing the flagrant T and hope someone had their video cam on.

You can post other examples if you wish. Have fun, guys.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark padgett View Post
i don't think there's a situation that has been discussed here as much as "over and back" violations during a throw-in. How about if we make a comprehensive list that newbies (and others) can study and perhaps carry with them in their bags so they can review them from time to time? Here's a bunch of scenarios - you guys post the answers. In each case, a1 is the thrower-in and is inbounding in team a's frontcourt on the sideline.

A) a2 is standing in backcourt, jumps and catches the ball in the air and then lands with both feet in frontcourt.
that a back to front violation under feeble rules.
b) a2 is standing with one foot in frontcourt and one foot in backcourt and catches the inbound pass - he then lifts the frontcourt foot
this is a move learned by watching the karate kid. It is called the crane technique.
c) a2 is standing in frontcourt, jumps and catches the ball in the air and then lands with both feet in backcourt.
this play is sure to cause all spectators who watch nba tv to holler for backcourt.
d) same as a), except a2 lands with one foot in frontcourt and one foot in backcourt
since the player is jumping from the backcourt, the legality depends upon which foot touches first. Backcourt foot first is fine. Frontcourt foot first is a violation. Simultaneous is okay.
e) same as c), except a2 lands with one foot in frontcourt and one foot in backcourt
permissible under 9-9-3.
f) a2 is standing in frontcourt, the ball deflects off him into the backcourt and he retrieves the ball with both feet in backcourt
another play sure to get the howler monkeys in full throat.
g) while the inbound pass is in the air, coach a calls you a fu***ing idiot, the ball hits a2 in the head while he is standing in the frontcourt, caroms off and hits coach a in the crotch, doubling him over and causing him to scream

ok - g) was a trick example. We all know the correct answer is to laugh hysterically at coach a while issuing the flagrant t and hope someone had their video cam on.
agreed. That is the perfect ruling.
you can post other examples if you wish. Have fun, guys.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
d) same as a), except a2 lands with one foot in frontcourt and one foot in backcourt
since the player is jumping from the backcourt, the legality depends upon which foot touches first. Backcourt foot first is fine. Frontcourt foot first is a violation. Simultaneous is okay.
Learned something today. I even pulled out the book and noticed that this only applies to a person jumping from the frontcourt. Thanks.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

a) A2 is standing in backcourt, jumps and catches the ball in the air and then lands with both feet in frontcourt.
Legal.

b) A2 is standing with one foot in frontcourt and one foot in backcourt and catches the inbound pass - he then lifts the frontcourt foot
I think this is legal.

c) A2 is standing in frontcourt, jumps and catches the ball in the air and then lands with both feet in backcourt.
Legal.

d) same as a), except A2 lands with one foot in frontcourt and one foot in backcourt
Legal, and what Nevada said. As long as his backcourt foot lands first followed by his frontcourt foot, he's fine.

e) same as c), except A2 lands with one foot in frontcourt and one foot in backcourt
Legal.

f) A2 is standing in frontcourt, the ball deflects off him into the backcourt and he retrieves the ball with both feet in backcourt
Legal. No team control is established on a deflection.

g) while the inbound pass is in the air, Coach A calls you a fu***ing idiot, the ball hits A2 in the head while he is standing in the frontcourt, caroms off and hits Coach A in the crotch, doubling him over and causing him to scream
Get him an ice pack.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 03:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post

I think this is legal.
What could possibly be illegal about it? A2 has backcourt status the entire time. A2 starts with backcourt status as he is standing with one foot on each side of the line. A2 catches the ball without moving and thus still has backcourt status. A2 picks up his frontcourt foot and continues to maintain his backcourt status as his other foot is still touching the backcourt.

What are going to penalize him for ... a back and back vilolation?
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 03:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
Learned something today. I even pulled out the book and noticed that this only applies to a person jumping from the frontcourt. Thanks.
You're welcome. That's a nuance that not many people know.

PS I'm glad that you actually went and looked it up to convince yourself instead of just taking my word for it.
That kind of diligence will pay off as you will certainly remember it better.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Uh-oh...

[QUOTE
Legal. No team control is established on a deflection.

OK- I'm confusing myself on this now- maybe I need more information.

I am assuming that A has team control in the frontcourt. Teammate of A2 passes him the ball, is deflected by B1, hits A2 and caroms into the backcourt where A2 goes to get it.

Isn't that last team control-last to touch in frontcourt-first to touch in backcourt = violation? Where am I going astray?

Z
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Moron Alert!

OK, it seems to me that I actually did not read the OP correctly.

We are talking about an inbounds play, correct? And we all know that there is no team control on an inbounds pass...

So, if I have now read the OP correctly, I would agree that A2 retrieving the ball in the backcourt is not a violation.

Apparently those of you that are literate already knew this...

Z
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

It only took you 3 minutes to figure it out.

For some of us it takes a whole lifetime to figure out we're a moron.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 10:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post

It only took you 3 minutes to figure it out.

For some of us it takes a whole lifetime to figure out we're a moron.
Hey, I'm no moron.

Waaaait a minute....
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 11:38am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Hey, I'm no moron. Waaaait a minute....
I think you mean "maroon".

Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Hey, I'm no moron.

Waaaait a minute....
Hey, do you know how to keep a moron in suspense?
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I'll wait for M&M to ask.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 02:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Moron Jokes
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Hey, I'm pretty sure that's going to offend a certain group of people.