The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

That hair...

Watching a little of the NBA play-offs. Some guy for Denver with spiked up hair. Obviously, it's legal in the NBA. Is it legal at lower levels? I mean if a coach allows it, do I have to?
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Ah, good old Chris "Birdman" Andersen. His hair is insane, but I think the best hair do of the playoffs goes to Anderson Varajo (sorry if I misspelled), but it is legal. I havent seen or heard of anything why this would be illegal because of the hair.

JBleach
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post
Ah, good old Chris "Birdman" Andersen. His hair is insane, but I think the best hair do of the playoffs goes to Anderson Varajo (sorry if I misspelled), but it is legal. I havent seen or heard of anything why this would be illegal because of the hair.

JBleach
A little light reading for you.

RULE 3, SECTION 7 SAFETY CONCERNS
The referee shall not permit any team member to participate if in his/her
judgment, items such as a player’s fingernails or hair style may constitute a safety concern.

Juulie,
In my opinion there is nothing dangerous about such a hairstyle. It doesn't contain enough gel to make it that hard!
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

I'm trying to imagine a tussle on the floor, and someone getting up bleeding. "I poked myself on his spiked hair!"
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 07:53am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
I'm trying to imagine a tussle on the floor, and someone getting up bleeding. "I poked myself on his spiked hair!"
Maybe not bleeding, but how about poked in the eye? Hey, it could happen!
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 09:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Birdman Of Alcatraz, I Mean Denver ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post
Ah, good old Chris "Birdman" Andersen. His hair is insane.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 24, 2009 at 10:01am.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 10:52am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Watching a little of the NBA play-offs. Some guy for Denver with spiked up hair. Obviously, it's legal in the NBA. Is it legal at lower levels? I mean if a coach allows it, do I have to?
I guess I might notice...after I finished reading the comics.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Love the tats!
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 04:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Which do you think would hurt more - a poke in the eye with a sharp stick or a poke in the eye with a sharp hair?
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 05:16pm
Ch1town

Well today I had not 1 but 2 players (team mates) with Birdmans 'do. It was a 5th grade boys team who also decided to pull the King James babypowder pregame thing... but they did it as a TEAM right in front of the "officials area" all over our chairs and bags!

During this game it was clear the coaches & players watch a lot of tv together
Comments like "we get the ball at half court after the TO" & "defensive 3 seconds" rolled off their tongues early & often.

During a TO my partner & I decided to just deal with them & get the game done as they were obviously blind to the fact that HS rules were in effect on this particular game.

Right out of that TO they trap their opponents on the b/c throw-in & my partner is at 5 on the count. The ball is tipped OOB & as my certified partner properly starts a new count, they are screaming 10... 10... 10!!!

We look at each other & gave the "NOoooo he's just an idiot" look as our earlier perception had been just shot down

But, ummm yeah I had a couple players with that 'do today.

And from Friday thru today I had a couple ejections; some Ts; a mom inches from my back at L screaming at me that a 6'4 girl is going over her 4'1 daughters back & call the damn foul; a chump who backed down & got laughed at by the crowd when he refused to join the crew & take my extra shirt & whistle but knew every rule; idiot scorekeepers; teenage coaches; tight sidelines and more obnoxious fans than a whole season of HS ball.

>>>>>>> Rant off <<<<<<<

Even though the negatives outweighed the positives in this unorganized tournament, the money was very cool & the couple weird situations that sent me home to my rulebook was priceless.

Well I'm off to do some YMCA games & sorry for going OT
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Well today I had not 1 but 2 players (team mates) with Birdmans 'do. It was a 5th grade boys team who also decided to pull the King James babypowder pregame thing... but they did it as a TEAM right in front of the "officials area" all over our chairs and bags!

During this game it was clear the coaches & players watch a lot of tv together
Comments like "we get the ball at half court after the TO" & "defensive 3 seconds" rolled off their tongues early & often.

During a TO my partner & I decided to just deal with them & get the game done as they were obviously blind to the fact that HS rules were in effect on this particular game.

Right out of that TO they trap their opponents on the b/c throw-in & my partner is at 5 on the count. The ball is tipped OOB & as my certified partner properly starts a new count, they are screaming 10... 10... 10!!!

We look at each other & gave the "NOoooo he's just an idiot" look as our earlier perception had been just shot down

But, ummm yeah I had a couple players with that 'do today.

And from Friday thru today I had a couple ejections; some Ts; a mom inches from my back at L screaming at me that a 6'4 girl is going over her 4'1 daughters back & call the damn foul; a chump who backed down & got laughed at by the crowd when he refused to join the crew & take my extra shirt & whistle but knew every rule; idiot scorekeepers; teenage coaches; tight sidelines and more obnoxious fans than a whole season of HS ball.

>>>>>>> Rant off <<<<<<<

Even though the negatives outweighed the positives in this unorganized tournament, the money was very cool & the couple weird situations that sent me home to my rulebook was priceless.

Well I'm off to do some YMCA games & sorry for going OT

Seriously?!?

I think i would have shot someone.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 07:31pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Great stories Ch1town - that's why we get the BIG money!