The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
I've heard many times on this board, there's no such thing as an "automatic".
But the NCAA did put in two "absolutes" this past season.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Sure it does, unless you have a different rule book than I do. Mine says it's an intentional foul if it neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position. An offensive player headed to the bucket with no defender in front of him is in an obvious advantageous position.

I try to not say always but more times than not, I've got an INT foul in this situation.
I understand your point, but give me a definition of "obvious advantageous position". I think we all agree on the example of a defender grabbing the player on the fast break from behind. But I'm not so sure contact that would be a normal, common foul (picture the ever-popular "reach-in" contact on the arm of the dribbler), would be an "almost always" intentional foul simply because there are no other defenders between the dribbler and the basket. If so, would you have an intentional on the half-court "clear-out" play, where A1 beats B1 off the dribble along the endline while all the other players are on the other side of the court, and has the exact same contact on the arm? Same contact, same positioning of A1 and B1, no other player at that moment between A1 and the basket, so why isn't that considered the same "obvious advantageous position", versus the fast-break example?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen defensive players make great plays by knocking the ball away from a driving offensive player when I thought that that player would have an uncontested layup. Therefore, If the defensive player can make a play on the ball and fouls I don't feel it should be intentional.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have seen defensive players make great plays by knocking the ball away from a driving offensive player when I thought that that player would have an uncontested layup. Therefore, If the defensive player can make a play on the ball and fouls I don't feel it should be intentional.
FIBA introduced this year a "clear path" foul:
Quote:
If a defensive player causes contact with an opponent from behind or laterally in an attempt to stop a fast break and there is no opponent between the offensive player and the opponents’ basket, then the contact shall be judged to be unsportsmanlike.
However they stated that a fast break ends when the try for goal begins, so to allow plays like those referred to by David M.

Notes. (1) Unsportsmanlike is what Fed rules call intentional. (2) The opponents' basket is what Fed rules call the player's own basket.

Ciao
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 07:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Le Système International d'Unités ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
The opponents' basket is what Fed rules call the player's own basket.
Is this part of the metric system ???

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)