Originally posted by mick
Jewel,
Yer back!
Family intact?
...this thread started July 3rd.
Oh, man....! Kicked it.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I never have much trouble with this one. To me, it's purely the judgement of the calling official whether the player has begun the motion of the try. I also think this rule should be applied on a case-by-case basis, as each play is unique, IMO.

If the coach won't let the issue die, I ususally just give them the old, "in my judgement..." line. If they keep going, it's usually gets personal which will earn them a 'T'.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Refneck
Personally, I never have much trouble with this one. To me, it's purely the judgement of the calling official whether the player has begun the motion of the try. I also think this rule should be applied on a case-by-case basis, as each play is unique, IMO.
Judgement, yes, but there's also a rule involved here that far too many don't understand. The issue is that many officials incorrectly call a legal attempt as "on the floor." They think that just because the ball hasn't been released, there's no shot. WRONG!
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 05:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Refneck
Judgement, yes, but there's also a rule involved here that far too many don't understand. The issue is that many officials incorrectly call a legal attempt as "on the floor." They think that just because the ball hasn't been released, there's no shot. WRONG!
Tony,
I usually use the premise of:
  • If the shooter is on his last step-and-a-half, and clearly is not passing, we're shootin' "Two".
    mick
    Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 05:38pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    Tony,
    I usually use the premise of:
  • If the shooter is on his last step-and-a-half, and clearly is not passing, we're shootin' "Two".
    mick
  • Sounds like a pretty good paraphrase of the rule to me.

4-11-2
    If an opponent fouls after a player has started a try for goal, he/she is permitted to complete the customary arm movement, and if pivoting or stepping when fouled, may complete the usual foot or body movement in any activity while holding the ball. These privileges are granted only when the usual throwing motion has started before the foul occurs and before the ball is in flight.