The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

team A shoots at ring ,team B rebounds and goes for long pass,but is intercepted by member of team A ,who was in the back court but caught the ball in the air and landed in the front court. is this cross court?
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

No this is not back court.

First after team A shot there is no more team control. Secondly team B secures the rebound, so now team B has team and player control. Team A can intercept the pass and land anywhere, front or back court.

Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It's a little unclear exactly what the situation is from the original post. It goes one of two ways:

1) A1 shoots.
2) B1 rebounds and throws long pass towards B's frontcourt.
3a) A2 jumps from A's backcourt.
3b) A2 jumps from A's frontcourt.
4) A2 catches the ball
5a) A2 lands in A's frontcourt.
5b) A2 lands in A's backcourt.

In either scenario, I agree that this is not a backcourt violation on A2. But there are different reasons, depending on which scenario was played out.

Let's take it step-by-step. What are the four things required to call a backcourt violation?

A) there must be team control
B) the ball must have achieved frontcourt status
C) a player from the team in control must be the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt
D) a player from that same team must be the first to touch the ball after it has been in the backcourt

Now let's go back to the original play. In the "a" scenario, there is no backcourt violation b/c requirement B was not met. There certainly was team control b/c A2 caught the ball. However, his team's control in the frontcourt ended with A1's shot. So no violation.

The "b" scenario is tougher. Again, there is team control, b/c A2 has caught the ball. The ball does have frontcourt status when A2 catches it, b/c he last touched the floor in the frontcourt. He's the last player to touch it in the frontcourt (by virtue of catching it) and he is also the first person to touch it in the backcourt (when he lands, holding the ball). So in this case, all 4 elements of the violation have been met. So why no violation? It's an exception to the backcourt rule. It just seemed unfair to penalize a great defensive play, so the rules committee just decided to make an exception for this particular type of play.

By the way, the "b" is also not a violation by NBA rules, although for a different reason. Under NBA rules, the defensive team is not considered to have a frontcourt or backcourt. So element B above would not have been met.

My long-winded two cents.

Chuck
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Reader's Digest Version

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

It's an exception to the backcourt rule. It just seemed unfair to penalize a great defensive play, so the rules committee just decided to make an exception for this particular type of play.

And the winner of this year's MTD longest post of the year
award goes to.......just trying to get this envelope open...
OMG! Chuck Elias!!!!! Chuck, come on up here and get your
award...a golden keyboard.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

OH! Jeez, what can I. . . I'm speechless. Wow. Ok, um. Thanks to Greg, for starting such a great thread. And to mick, b/c I totally just ripped off the 4 elements from one of his posts. Thanks to all the people who read my work. It's so great to know that long-winded posts are still appreciated in the industry. And of course I have to thank my wonderful wife for going out to the mall so I could completely waste my time this morning. I love you, honey!! What else is there to say? I have to admit that I was disappointed by not winning for my run-on sentence. But it really is great just to be nominated for this honor. Finally, I guess it would be wrong to leave out the man that made this all possible for me. For all of us, really. . . Mark? Are you here this morning? Stand up, and take a bow. . . There he is!! Mark T. Denucci, Sr, everybody!!!! Thank you. Thank you all so much. Thank you!!
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I thought Chuck's acceptance speech would be longer!!!!!!!!

AK ref SE
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

They started playing the music to go to a commercial break and I had to wrap up quickly (Just like they did to Martin Landau )
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
OH! Jeez, what can I. . . I'm speechless. Wow. Ok, um. Thanks to Greg, for starting such a great thread. And to mick, b/c I totally just ripped off the 4 elements from one of his posts. Thanks to all the people who read my work. It's so great to know that long-winded posts are still appreciated in the industry. And of course I have to thank my wonderful wife for going out to the mall so I could completely waste my time this morning. I love you, honey!! What else is there to say? I have to admit that I was disappointed by not winning for my run-on sentence. But it really is great just to be nominated for this honor. Finally, I guess it would be wrong to leave out the man that made this all possible for me. For all of us, really. . . Mark? Are you here this morning? Stand up, and take a bow. . . There he is!! Mark T. Denucci, Sr, everybody!!!! Thank you. Thank you all so much. Thank you!!
Yes, yes, you're welcome...you're welcome...don't let the door hit you on the way out...geeze I thought we would never get him out of here...OK! next category: Most Presence During a Flame War on a Discussion Board!
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I'm leaving, but before I go, what are these awards called anyway? We already. . . hey, stop pushing. I said I'm leaving. . . We already have the "Emmy", the "Grammy", the "Tony". Are these the "Danny" awards? Ow, ok, ok. I'm . . . just give me a secon. . .

Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 04:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Ok, I'm leaving, but before I go, what are these awards called anyway? We already. . . hey, stop pushing. I said I'm leaving. . . We already have the "Emmy", the "Grammy", the "Tony". Are these the "Danny" awards? Ow, ok, ok. I'm . . . just give me a secon. . .

We can call it the "Slappy Dan Golden T Award!!
Btw,I love those Tony statuettes.They're cool!You push the button on it's stomach,whisper "Rut" in it's ear,and you get a twenty minute rant.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 04:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:

I think we should call them the "Ruttys".
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ahem, ahem. . . Tap, tap. Is this thing on? Testing, testing. Ok, are we ready? Ok, here goes. Ahem. And the "Rutty" goes to. . . . Well, not much of a 'ring' to it. Ok, next. . . And the "Slappy" goes to. . .

I think the Slappy sounds better, personally.

Chuck
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I vote for the "Rutty"
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Kiss my arse, Woody!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Btw,I love those Tony statuettes. They're cool! You push the button on it's stomach,whisper "Rut" in it's ear, and you get a twenty minute rant.
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 08:58pm
In Memoriam

Re: Kiss my arse, Woody!

[/QUOTE]

[/B][/QUOTE]Trying your darndest to win one of those coveted "Slappys",eh?
Btw,wasn't it nice of Dan to so generously donate his name to this prestigious award?